Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2018, 11:45 AM   #41
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Did you read the blog about the issues with the Judging Standards

Sounds like Judging Standards are fine to some people, as long as it fits THEIR standards
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:13 PM   #42
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Build to the Guidelines or don't.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #43
F.M.
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster62 View Post
Will parts sell for more money if you ID their date of use using the Judging Standards? Would this info justify the expense of buying the Judging Standards? Bob
For you, NO !!
F.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:18 PM   #44
Chuck Sea/Tac

Y. Lockhead: the gps story is hilarious.
I think the reason for licensing a car like the blown sbc is so the cops etc know what it looks like?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #45
russcochiolo

I have the Restoration Guidelines and the Paint and Finish Guide. I reference them often but do not adhere to them religiously. I just want to know so that I don't make a fool of myself. I'm a believer in, "It's your car, do it your way". I'm not known to criticize. I have the attached note that I place on the windshield at events. It goes a long way in defusing the "That ain't right!" critic.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Roadster Placard 1.pdf (21.8 KB, 69 views)
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #46
JoeCB

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Russ I like your sign and the idea of a sign. Mine will say... "This 1931 Coupe is all original and was "restored" by a 17 year old kid in high school ( me) 58 years ago. Since then it has been driven nearly every year since, accumulating some 13,000 trouble free miles. My dear departed mother sowed the upholstery and my dear departed father helped me pour the babbet. If you don't think that it looks as good as it should, please step back a few passes, I think that it looks great."

Last edited by JoeCB; 12-13-2018 at 07:52 PM.
JoeCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:09 PM   #47
johnneilson

Without going into politics, the whole world just seems wrapped to tightly, relax some.
I read the article as a misunderstanding between a tyro and "experts".

People look at my car and start making comments, I tell them this isn't Pebble Beach and you are lucky to be able to look so closely. Normally you would only get the 50, 50 view. (standing 50 feet away as I drive by at 50 mph).

J
Old 10-25-2020, 06:20 PM   #48
lnernut

Interesting that two years after this article was deleted google keeps throwing this thread at me.

I know this is old, but considering once again I have been told that my car is wrong because it shouldn't have one of it's features I am actually going to clarify a couple of points.

1. At no point was I trying to attack the judging standards, only people who blindly use the standard to attack other people's cars or builds on the grounds that they are wrong because this says so.

2. I think if you actually search my posts on the MARC FB group you will find two questions.... one on a wiring issue I was having and a lack of charge from the generator and another on members experiences with LED globes. Not sure how that constitutes "coming on and asking what is correct". Other than that I posted a lot of photos of some National Meets here in Aus and maybe some curiosity about the differences between cars. And nothing recent.... I wonder why!

3. I am not restoring my car. It is an unrestored original Australian assembled car. Yes I have been doing a little work on it, but not restoring it as suggested in this post. I would like to further point out that the history is relatively complete as my family are the second owners of the car in question.

4. Someone suggested I receive some sort of financial return from my writing. This is blatantly false. As is the assertion that "Brent obviously knew more about the story than was in my original post"

5. Yes I had a reproduction quail on in one photo, but I also have the original in the car. I needed a thermometer so I bought a thermo quail. And I believe that comment further highlighted my feelings about acceptance.

And Brent, I am sorry you found the article to "wreak of ignorance", but I will freely admit I am sick of people telling me my car should not have pinstripes on the hood louvres, should not have leather seats on a closed car and should not have dual globe headlights because this is what the standards say. I had no intention of putting the standards down or the work of those who created them. I still believe that you have misconstrued the article. I was solely concerned people trying to impose the standards.... and again.... I am not restoring my car, only maintaining it. The most common phrase I hear in this context is "But the standards say...." I am quite aware of the difference between the judging standards and the restoration guide.
I am very sorry you took it this way and when asked by Mark I removed the article because it was causing so much controversy on THIS site and I made sure it was not reproduced locally. I still believe I was only attacking the lack of acceptance (some of which can be seen in a couple of comments above) and was mortified that the article was taken that way, and distressed that it had been taken to another site where it was assumed I was not going to see it, and slagged off, rather than discussing the issues (as Mark did).

I wrote an apology to the creators of the standards at the time, and yes I admit I used a couple of phrases in the article that in hindsight were less than ideal - including the title perhaps.

It should also be noted that I received a considerable number of responses from people who identified very strongly with some of the points I made in that article. And indeed it would appear some of those commenting here also understood the point I was trying to make. I have since contributed almost nothing on any of the Model A groups, and have felt very little incentive to do so.

I apologize for dragging up a two year old thread, but as of this week, my feelings are no different. People can be intolerant, and I quite frankly despise that.

Last edited by lnernut; 10-25-2020 at 08:45 PM.
lnernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:41 PM   #49
jimalabam

I fully agree with grj.
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:53 PM   #50
updraught

You've been criticized for criticizing those that criticized.
Dang. Can't think why that would end badly ...
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:15 PM   #51
lnernut

Yes, and I am being intolerant of intolerance. Ho Hum. :-) Sorry.

Last edited by lnernut; 10-25-2020 at 11:26 PM.
lnernut is offline   Reply With Quote