Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
Dave in MD

Default Sales of Revision 4 to R.G. & J.S.

Be advised that both MAFCA and MARC have said the only way one can purchase revision 4 to the Restoration Guidelines and Judging Standards is through the two club national offices. At least for the time being they are not allowing the parts vendors to sell this latest update, which is a change in their policy. I like to support local businesses.
Dave
Dave in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #2
30ccpickup

Default Re: Sales of Revision 4 to R.G. & J.S.

I too like to support local businesses, but in this case I would rather see the clubs make the cash! It is their baby.

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #3
wrndln

I think both MAFCA and MARC make money both selling the JS's as well as model A vendors, until now it appears. I believe that suppliers to model A vendors buy wholesale from their suppliers, in this case MAFCA and MARC for Rev 4, and mark them item up to make a profit. It appears this is not happening with Rev 4. It seems that the two model A clubs are trying to make all the money they can, at least for a while. Like the posts above, like to support model A vendors, which also supports the national clubs, but at a slightly lesser degree. I guess MAFCA and MARC can do that, but I think I will wait until vendors carry them to buy Rev 4.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #4
daveymc29

Isn't this a bit short-sighted? Surely not all the venders customers belong to either Marc or MAFCA. Maybe they would gain some membership by selling through the venders, or is that not a concern? Maybe the money is more important than new members? I would think it would be the other way around, more members, more money for club and venders, but then what do I know? The only thing I have ever sold was me and even that didn't bring in much.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:49 PM   #5
updraught

I would say they are trying to cover their printing costs ASAP.

I was considering ordering a complete one with parts in a flat rate box from a vendor.
Does anyone have the dimensions and weight so those of us in the sticks can have a guess at postage?
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:58 PM   #6
JohninKuranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
I would say they are trying to cover their printing costs ASAP.

I was considering ordering a complete one with parts in a flat rate box from a vendor.
Does anyone have the dimensions and weight so those of us in the sticks can have a guess at postage?
Hope this helps
I purchased from MAFCA the US$55 package - plus US$17 freight to the Australia Post agency in Portland - Shopmate. The freight from there was AUD$52.65 to Kuranda. The weight of ther package was 2.6 kilograms.

Cheers
John
JohninKuranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
updraught

Thanks.

The last flat rate box I got from a vendor was twice as high as it should be. Not sure whether it is only weight that gets checked.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #8
Steve Wastler

You do not have to be a member of either national's club to order from their web sites and the membership forms are right there as well. So they have more of a chance of new members buying directly thru them as opposed to a third party seller. For those who chose not to buy for any given reason are only doing the disservice to themselves as this accumulation of information can't be found anywhere else.
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:10 PM   #9
daveymc29

Not trying to sustain an opinion, but if you are not a member of MARC or MAFCA how would you become aware that they have a web site?
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:28 PM   #10
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Not trying to sustain an opinion, but if you are not a member of MARC or MAFCA how would you become aware that they have a web site?
Really? You can't read much on FordBarn before you stumble across mention of MAFCA/MARC. Then it's a no-brainer!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:35 PM   #11
Jim/GA

Quote:
I don't know. Google, maybe.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:10 AM   #12
WTSHNN

Quote:
Isn't this a bit short-sighted? Surely not all the venders customers belong to either Marc or MAFCA. Maybe they would gain some membership by selling through the venders, or is that not a concern? Maybe the money is more important than new members?
A quick check of a few of the model a vendors' websites show they are still selling the 2011 standards.

Perhaps the vendors are the ones wanting to clear out their inventory...or perhaps in the past the national clubs supplied the vendors and people bought from the vendors and the clubs were forced to hold on to a large inventory which means they ended up losing money and since the club is a non-profit and funds some portion of the research and production of the standards it's in the better interest to support the club versus the vendor.

Or perhaps...I don't know.

-Tim
Old 01-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #13
30ccpickup

Link to buy

http://model-a-ford.org/products-pag...s-and-indexes/

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:04 AM   #14
Jim/GA

Can also be bought here:

https://mafca.com/cart/index.php?show_price=yes

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #15
Vic in E-TN

I ordered Rev 4 from MAFCA after looking on the MARC site without much luck on finding the material. I ordered on Thursday and it was delivered in a USPS Priority 2-day box on Tuesday with a $10.77 mailing sticker. MAFCA charged me $17 for shipping. I thought that this was way too high considering that this was probably not the first of these packages that they sent. $12 would have been a more appropriate charge for this package.

Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #16
abachman3

All owners of Model A's are not necessarily members of both clubs, let alone either club. MARC local clubs generally require membership in MARC, MAFCA local clubs generally do not have that same requirement. Also, not everyone that has a Model A Ford is a member of either club.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:13 AM   #17
wrndln

I don't know why MARC and MAFCA can't mail the JS's Media Mail, which is very cheap for printed material. I suspect shipping Media Mail would be about $4 to $5 for most addresses. I guess they want to make some money on shipping as well as the JG's.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:39 PM   #18
mhsprecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrndln View Post
I don't know why MARC and MAFCA can't mail the JS's Media Mail, which is very cheap for printed material. I suspect shipping Media Mail would be about $4 to $5 for most addresses. I guess they want to make some money on shipping as well as the JG's.
Rusty Nelson
Media Mail is slow. Maybe they could give buyers a choice, but many commenters here were anxious to get theirs and happy for the quick shipping. A choice of shipping options is probably a good idea. Many vendors give you a choice, but many don't.

Shipping is more than just the cost of postage, too. You have to package and label. I doubt either of the clubs have an automated process like many publishers do, so there is a lot of hand labor involved. The post office may pick up items, but if you are shipping hundreds, maybe they have to be delivered. After the initial rush, they may ship one or two a week.

If you think the clubs are making too much money, take a look at their financial statements and see what is really going on
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #19
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic in E-TN View Post
I ordered Rev 4 from MAFCA after looking on the MARC site without much luck on finding the material. I ordered on Thursday and it was delivered in a USPS Priority 2-day box on Tuesday with a $10.77 mailing sticker. MAFCA charged me $17 for shipping. I thought that this was way too high considering that this was probably not the first of these packages that they sent. $12 would have been a more appropriate charge for this package.

Vic
Seems funny there is no backlash on their shipping charges but Macs are severely criticized. Hypocritical is it not ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:46 PM   #20
SteveB31

We bought quite a few sets, and were surprised when we got the bill and they were charged at the $30 price. I sent them a note and they have not yet replied (MAFCA). We sell a LOT of their books, and they give us a wholesale price on them ( we buy 20 of each at a time), and we make a couple bucks on them, but for now I guess we pay retail ($30) for the revisions, and are selling them for $30 (no profit). We generally have been sending them with other parts, so the shipping is kind of free, since they are included with other parts orders. I personally feel that if we (a vendor) buy them in quanities , we should get a little price break. We use the sales of these books to help gain new members, as most Model A owners do not belong , and in many cases, don't want or need to belong to the national club. Often, when they see what they do, in the form of their publications, these folks WILL join a national club, as they see that those clubs are providing good information that is helpful in restoring the cars.

Steve @ Bert's
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote