Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2013, 10:38 PM   #1
Bobk2011

Default Help with 31 Roadster

Hello I am currently building a 1931 Roadster that my grandfather wasn't able to finish before he past away. I believe he bought all after market sheet metal. I'm having trouble aligning the dash rail, windshield post, and door together. Is there any manuals out there that shows how the body is assembled?
Bobk2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Help with 31 Roadster

A picture is worth a thousand words; but, an actual sample is worth a thousand pictures.

Maybe check in your area for a Model A Club & ask if someone has a similar vehicle that you can actually see.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
Phil

H.L. Is right. You need to see one one up close and personal. I can get you pictures of mine, but you really should find one your area. A local club is the BEST source of whe kind of help you. Where are you located?
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
H. L. Chauvin

Bob:

Might add:

Once you see it, then "you" take detailed pictures with your cell camera --exact details of metal to metal curved joints are extremely difficult for anybody to remember -- once you re-visit "your" photos at home in your shop, you can compare what you have with the other photographed vehicle.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:14 AM   #5
juke joint johnny

Welcome to the site !!! Post some pictures of what you have .
Lot's of help here for you.

John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
Mike Peters

I remember dong mine a few years ago, and it wasn't easy. There are lead spacers at the ends of the dash rail where it joins up with the windshield stanchion. If all is well, everything should tuck in nicely. Be sure your door hinges are not pinching when you attempt to close the door. And door alignment is always fun as well. Good luck.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
28-31

Bob --
To your original question, I believe the answer is no -- there isn't a definitive body assembly manual. Everyone's suggestions are pretty much the only way to go.
28-31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Barry B./ Ma.

I have a Brookville body on my 30 roadster and I remember the dash rail was a tight fit but it went on, put the top of the rail in place and roll the bottom down over the dash support, you may have to "slap" the bottom of the rail in place with the palm of your hand. Glue the rubber pads on the dash support first over the mounting holes.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
SSsssteamer

Dear BobK, You stated: "I believe he (grandfather) bought all after market sheet metal." After market sheet metal is always a bugger to get a good fit with. Most all aftermarket sheet metal that I have purchased, never has been a direct bolt on. It will take a lot of fitting for the new metal to ever fit correctly. Lean into it and be patient, it will work out. Looking at another 1931 roadster just like yours would be a great help to you.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
oldibmce

I am located in the metro kansas city area and have a 31 standard roadster that you are welcome to inspect, photo, feel, or whatever helps. Chas (joe) delapp [email protected]
oldibmce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Larry Seemann

visit Marco's site: abarnyard.com
lots of pictures of his roadster. may not answer your specific questions but a lot of good info and well worth visiting
Old 02-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
Bobk2011

Thank you everyone for the help! I figured I would have to find another one to look at. I live in northern New York (US/Canada border) and I haven't seen too many 1931 Deluxe roadsters around. I'm planing on going to Hersey and Carlisle this summer. Hopefully I can see one there and figure it out. I just feel like I'm missing a part or don't have the parts I do have in the correct place. Thanks again and I'm sure I will be asking more questions in the future!
Old 02-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobk2011 View Post
Hello I am currently building a 1931 Roadster that my grandfather wasn't able to finish before he past away. I believe he bought all after market sheet metal. I'm having trouble aligning the dash rail, windshield post, and door together. Is there any manuals out there that shows how the body is assembled?
Hey Bob,
Can you post pics depicting your problems?
I will say that aftermarket roadster dash rails...SUCK! Me and everyone else that I've ever spoke with have the same problem as you seem to be having in that area. But, what I'm wondering...is, how old is the sheet metal dash that your 'grandfather' bought! Yikes, I thot that this was/is a more modern day phenomenon...i.e.- poor roadster dash reproduction!. I shelfed my repro dash rail junk and ended up using my original ('repaired'). It isn't perfect, but better than repro junk. Do you have any original dash rail ?
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
Bobk2011

No i don't.. My grandfather pretty much built this from the ground up.. bought almost all new parts starting in the early 90's..working on the pics asap..
Old 02-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #15
Bobk2011

I do have it fitting a little better then what the picture shows but still I'm having trouble.. the door fits nice to the cowl. Just not to the dash rail or windshield stanchion. im also wondering if i have the ram horns installed correctly... Is it only attached with the hinge and stanchion? That's the way my grandfather had it...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31ROADSTERDASH.jpg (61.0 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by Bobk2011; 02-22-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #16
Bobk2011

This is where my Grandfather left off and I started... its been sitting in the barn for about 12 years..looks bad but I love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31Roadster.jpg (75.6 KB, 78 views)
Old 02-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #17
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
I do have it fitting a little better then what the picture shows but still I'm having trouble.. the door fits nice to the cowl. Just not to the dash rail or windshield stanchion. im also wondering if i have the ram horns installed correctly... Is it only attached with the hinge and stanchion? That's the way my grandfather had it...
Bob, I'll have to take a look at my Brookville 30 roadster again but the door to dash gap on mine is about 1/8 inch.

Barry B.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:23 AM   #18
frank mcdaniels

Bob, When you refer to the mounting of the ram horn, this piece is riveted to the substructure in the cowl panel. If they have been replaced the location of the lower part of the windshield station can be problamatic.Also to close the gap between the top of the door and dash rail, make sure the gas tank is not to low and pushing out on the side cowl panels.These are some of the hardest parts to get to fit nice on any of the body style I have worked on. When you look at pictures of Marco's roadster you'll probably want to cry,because his so perfect. Don't feel to bad if you don't reach that level of perfection. Good luck, Frank
frank mcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #19
james hitchcock

Looks bad ? I think she's beautiful....She'll be up and on the street in no time.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #20
hardtimes

Quote:
This is where my Grandfather left off and I started... its been sitting in the barn for about 12 years..looks bad but I love it!
Hey Bob,
Wow, what's not to love in what you have pictured to work with !!
Your grampa did good! Study the present parts and make sure that they are the correct parts for '31. I say this because lots of parts were subed for missing worn out parts in cars past life at times. Also, keep you eye peeled on ebay/fordbarn ads for an original dash rail. I've seen a few over a looong time watching...and they ain't cheap. You might talk to Brookville also and tell them of your dash rail problem ...they know of original parts and used such to create their parts, as I understand it.
I would have loved to have, what Grampa left you to start with. As stated, Vinces site is a valued source of info/pics. Keep the pics coming and keep asking , as there are lots of guys here with roadsters and info.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote