Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
Giles

Default strange cutout behaviour

I recently checked my cutout (repro, but not an electronic one) for gap, clean points etc. No probs. Yesterday, after a longish trip involving a lot of stop-starting, I lost charge to the battery. today (i) I checked ammeter and generator: no problems (ii) I checked cutout by putting a current through it as per Paul Moeller's book, using a battery and also a 6v charger. The points chattered rapidly like an electric bell hammer but would not close. I wondered if the magnet was not pulling strongly enough so I held the points closed momentarily. Chattering continued. Finally, I replaced the cutout and all is now back to normal. But the faulty cutout was pretty new. Does anyone know what causes this behaviour?
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
larrys40

Default Re: strange cutout behaviour

f it was a new cutout they are junk... plain and simple. If you replaced it with the same style it probably won't last long either. I prefer an original or later "Ford" close foot unit ( Model A was open footed). Some prefer diode.

Make sure your generator is functioning properly. Many times if you discharge a battery through the generator due to a stuck cutout you will cook your generator.
If you didn't you are lucky.

Check and make sure you don't have any other battery drains or poor connections... terminal box, dash, etc.
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:53 AM   #3
CWPASADENA

I agree with larrys40. The repo mechanical cut-outs are JUNK. Use a good original or a diode.

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:32 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
Does anyone know what causes this behavior?
Great troubleshooting! But Yea, as it has been mentioned they are junk.

Salvage the can and install this sold by the vendors;

Old 01-31-2017, 06:13 AM   #5
Giles

Thanks guys - v helpful. Original cutouts are really hard to find over here in the UK, so I guess I will go the diode route. When I first had the car (23 years ago) you could get quite good repro cutouts, but the quality has gone down. I'd still love to know what is going on when the chattering happens, out of sheer curiosity ...
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:26 PM   #6
Spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
f it was a new cutout they are junk... plain and simple. If you replaced it with the same style it probably won't last long either. I prefer an original or later "Ford" close foot unit ( Model A was open footed). Some prefer diode.

Make sure your generator is functioning properly. Many times if you discharge a battery through the generator due to a stuck cutout you will cook your generator.
If you didn't you are lucky.

Check and make sure you don't have any other battery drains or poor connections... terminal box, dash, etc.
Larry Shepard
Larry, When you say later style closed foot when were they used ??
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:42 PM   #7
stouchton

Saw this on a friends cutout - the coil with the fine wire was not held properly and would move, resulting in a broken wire which lead to chatter.

His was a repro, and pretty cheesy in construction.
stouchton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:20 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stouchton View Post
Saw this on a friends cutout - the coil with the fine wire was not held properly and would move, resulting in a broken wire which lead to chatter.

His was a repro, and pretty cheesy in construction.
I've had to solder a couple of the fine ground wires to the base. Since the base is a substantial piece of steel, it takes a lot of heat to get it hot enough to flow solder for a good bond. I like my WEN 250 Soldering gun for this job. A large soldering iron will also work, but not one of the small ones with a 1/8" diameter tip. I've had to repair cold solder joints, even on a couple of original cutouts.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote