Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2021, 07:37 AM   #1
old Tom

Default battery

What is the best 6V battery for a Model A
old Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:42 AM   #2
TMarsh

Default Re: battery

Imho optima
TMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:48 AM   #3
eagle

Go to a farm store and buy a tractor battery. If properly cared for will last 10 years.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:17 AM   #4
Patrick L.

Yep, Any Tractor supply store.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
mgambuzza

If you don't have easy access to a battery supplier, Optima would probably be the best. I am in close proximity to several battery warehouses, and I was able to get a factory blem (not Optima) battery for $55. Had it over a year so far and cranks like crazy (even in the winter). I'll have to report some time on the longevity of the battery as time goes on.
mgambuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:22 PM   #6
Oldgearz

Get a 6v red top Optima and you'll never regret it. That's what my A has. I have 5 old Ford 8ns (tractors) and 3 of those are still six volt. I've replaced the standard 6v batteries numerous times and they NEVER hold up more than 3 years. Have now replaced them with 8v cause they fit into the battery trays better than the 6v Optima. Bottom line is if you have cold winter weather and plan to drive your A during that time....Optima is the way to go. Highest cranking 6v out there.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 02:25 PM   #7
wilfbrad

Keep your 6 v lead acid on a battery maintainer all the time and you'll be amazed how long your bat will last!!
wilfbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #8
d.

another vote for 6v Optima. I have 2, dated 10-14 that kick like crazy.
When I bought them they were $113 shipped on Amazon.
Now it seems like the best deal is with Summit Racing and the price has got more like $199, but they last a long long time and put out a ton of power.
Optima will serve you well, given my experience.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:08 PM   #9
eagle

$59 for a tractor battery, $199 for an optima. Guess that is why I have a tractor battery. I think it's 6 years old now, still going strong. If I get another 4 years out of it I'll not be surprised. 99% of battery performance and life is in how you treat it. Never let it go dead, don't overcharge it, keep the water level up, run a trickle charger on it periodically. I have a voltage regulator on my generator so that makes a big difference in life too. Abuse an optima and you'll ruin it too. I have nothing against optimas, they are a premium battery. I really don't own much that's premium I guess.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:56 AM   #10
Bob Bidonde

The best battery for your Model "A" is the one with the highest Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) for least cost.
Old 09-18-2021, 07:32 AM   #11
nkaminar

Are lithium ion batteries available yet for car starting? I would guess that they would be very expensive and require special chargers to keep the different cells equalized.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #12
rotorwrench

The optima is best for setting around and longevity as long as it is used at least once a month but the latest price is above 200 bucks. The Group 1 wet cell 6-volt batteries are still around 100 bucks currently so neither will be cheap.

A wet cell that can be purchased dry charged for service would still last at least 2-years with regular use and service. I generally get about 4-years out of them but I take good care of investments like that. If you don't care for it then purchase an optima and drive the car at least once a month to keep it up. Purchase a modern charger that can cycle charge it for AGM type batteries. I don't see too many 6-volt capable chargers like there used to be. A person can charge as a 12-volt if you have two batteries but you better have a need for two batteries.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:25 PM   #13
Anteek29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfbrad View Post
Keep your 6 v lead acid on a battery maintainer all the time and you'll be amazed how long your bat will last!!
I concur!
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:15 PM   #14
Crankster

It became obvious to me once I started keeping my batteries charged up and on a float charge battery life is 10+ years (I don't know exactly because they haven't worn out yet) versus the usual 3 to 5, it's just not even close. In addition to that, they perform much better during the entire life cycle. A battery charger will easily pay for itself many times over.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 11:06 PM   #15
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by [I
Crankster;2057910]It became obvious to me once I started keeping my batteries charged up and on a float charge battery life is 10+ years (I don't know exactly because they haven't worn out yet) versus the usual 3 to 5, it's just not even close. In addition to that, they perform much better during the entire life cycle. A battery charger will easily pay for itself many times over.[/I]
Yes, but readers notice he said float charge... make sure you trickle charge or float/maintain charge. I've seen people use a regular charger and then complain that the battery is no good.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:14 AM   #16
Ayers1

I have 2 6V batteries that are 5+ years old. I keep a maintainer on them and they are still going strong. I would say get a Tractor Supply battery and a 6/12 volt maintainer and go from there. Still much cheaper than an Optima.
Ayers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:47 AM   #17
nkaminar

How to kill a battery:

1. Let it discharge and let it stay discharged. There is some small internal current that naturally discharges a battery when just sitting. The amorphous lead sulfate will turn to the crystalline form and not be available for the battery to use. The battery maintainers help to keep the battery charged and some have a way to convert the crystal lead sulfate back to the amorphous form.

2. Let the acid level go below the plates. The sealed batteries don't have this problem unless they are overcharged.

3. Overcharge the battery. This can boil out the water and warp the plates. I have ruined more batteries by overcharging than anything else. The battery can literally burn up.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 10:38 AM   #18
skeazle

I put in an Interstate battery 5 yrs. ago and it is still going however whenever I hit the starter it seams very mushy. I think I'm going to replace it soon. Maybe the starter itself is going bad.
skeazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #19
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeazle View Post
I put in an Interstate battery 5 yrs. ago and it is still going however whenever I hit the starter it seams very mushy. I think I'm going to replace it soon. Maybe the starter itself is going bad.
Check your cables, clean all of the connections, cheaper than replacing the battery !
Old 10-01-2021, 04:29 PM   #20
ronn

read my post on batteries.......Rural King for 50. a pop

four for the price of an Optima.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote