Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
tjaybo

Default 55 fairlane seat back stainless

I am installing a new original type interior in my Club Sedan. On the back of the front seat there is a piece of stainless trim that is apparently to be attached withe 5 clips. I don't see how to put those clips in after the seat cover is pulled down into place. I need to know what type of clips were used there and how others have put them in.
Hey, Hotrod Reverend I know you have figured this one out .
Thanks Jim
tjaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:14 PM   #2
Daves55Sedan

Default Re: 55 fairlane seat back stainless

The clips are specially made for that piece of trim and I am pretty sure they are NOT reproduced. If you don't have the original clips, I don't know what you could do to attach the trim piece.
If you can get the original style clips, slide them into the trim piece from the backside near the end and try to position them about where the rectangular holes are in the seat backrest. Obviously, since you have re-upholstered, you can't see the rectangular holes. What I did, was poke my finger along the back to find the holes, then get an exacto-knife and cut an "X" from corner to corner of the rectangular hole opening at each hole. Then hold the piece with the clips installed against the backrest and align your clips to the "X" slots you made with your exacto-knife. Use the palm of your hand to hit the exposed surface of the trim piece (with a fair amount of force) to get the clips to snap into the holes (starting at one end and working your way down to the last one.) Ta da.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:18 AM   #3
tjaybo

Thanks for the insight Dave. I dont have the original clips. So this is what I have done so far. turned the cover inside out then pulled the top 6 inches onto the seat back. the cover is in position to just below where the trim piece attaches to the seat backrest. Then I quit for the night.
This morning I am going to try to use those universal type clips that you break off to length and have a threaded stud. I am going to put them in the trim piece then the stud through the seat cover and through the holes in the seat back. the hard part will be to get my hand in to get a nut started on the stud that will sticking into the springs area. Wish me luck.
tjaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:13 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

Trying that will be a major feat. Attaching from inside the backrest with a nut will not be successful UNLESS you use a one-piece washer-nut. It would be nearly impossible to try to get a separate washer and hold it in place while trying to thread a nut on inside the backrest. I don't see it happening.
There are some common washer-nuts still made by Dorman and other mfrs. I believe they have a 7/16 inch hex-head and the washer portion at the bottom is serrated and large enough to catch the top and bottom sides of the rectangular holes. I think the threads on those are 1/4 inch, 20 thread per inch. Need to verify that a 1/4 inch stud will fit thru the rectangular holes in the seat backrest before buying a bunch of fasteners and washer-nuts first.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote