Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-24-2016, 06:43 AM   #1
JM 35 Sedan

Default Help needed to confirm Brake Cross Shaft ID

Another FB member found this possibly NOS mechanical brake cross shaft yesterday at the Spring Carlisle Show, in PA. I was thinking with the B-2468 part number it is most likely for the 1932 passenger car and/or light commercial vehicle, but I am not that knowledgeable on the '32's and thought maybe it could be pre '32 to '32 4 cylinder, and possibly used in the '32 V-8 models as well. Would appreciate some ID help on this from those who would know for sure exactly what years and models this was used on. Thank you Fordbarners for any help you can provide on this.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:31 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Help needed to confirm Brake Cross Shaft ID

in the parts book it is listed as for "B", 18, 1932----so it should be for both 4,and 8
Kurt in NJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:57 AM   #3
DavidG

It is one of six variations of the '32 model passenger car and commercial vehicle brake cross shaft; in this instance for all LHD versions where both the foot and hand brake controls operate all four wheels' brakes.

It is missing the return spring which coiled around the center of the shaft.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Kurt & David, thank you both for your help.

David, can the spring be added with the cross shaft fully assembled as shown in those pictures?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:18 AM   #5
Steve Staysko

I just did it on my 34 and you have to disassemble one end of the cross shaft to install the spring and I bought an NOS spring from Little Dearborn Parts. www.littledearborn.com
Steve Staysko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
DavidG

There were two versions of the subject spring. The initial version had fewer coils and it is theoretically possible to install it without the disassembly that Steve mentions (which is required with the later spring with more coils spaced closer together). I have not tried doing it without disassembling the whole assembly as I normally replace the bushings at the same time. So, the operative words are "theoretically possible" with the early spring.

If you do elect to go with disassembly, it has its own challenges. One of those two collars spot welded to the center section of the shaft may well come undone when you remove the arms on one end and press on the shaft to withdraw it because the collar will be pressing up against the bushing to force it out of the bracket. (Those collars were installed as a final step in creating the assembly before painting.)

Disassembling and reassembling one of these cross shafts is one of those two hour jobs that can easily bloom to eight hours or more.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:36 PM   #7
Steve Staysko

The spring that I bought from Little Dearborn was the later spring as David mentioned with more coils spaced closer together of which there were 5 coils and the original which broke when I loaded it had 3 coils.
Steve Staysko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #8
glennsanders

John thanks for asking about the part for me ,so what's it value and does any body have interest in it are trade for 35 parts?
glennsanders is offline   Reply With Quote