Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-26-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
JAKEFORD

Default V8 Center Port Problems

From what I have been reading on this fine forum, the center port is one of the weaknesses of the Ford V8. Some of the models of running engines have eliminated the problem by exhausting from the top intake plane. This is because they could not machine the exhaust port passages in the block.

I have seen examples of switching the intake and exhaust ports via the camshaft so that the exhaust could blow out the top of the intake plane. This was done on full size engines.

This engine has been around for a lot of years and no one has come up with a solution to the hot center port exhaust. It has been reported that this is the cause on block cracking and other performance problems.

What say you?
JAKEFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
Capt Kirk

Default Re: V8 Center Port Problems

My head just exploded!
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:41 PM   #3
ford38v8

from what i understand, switching intake for exhaust works well for the exhaust, but creates worse problems for the intake than the exhaust originally had.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:43 PM   #4
Pete

"This engine has been around for a lot of years and no one has come up with a solution to the hot center port exhaust. It has been reported that this is the cause on block cracking and other performance problems."

I guess there are a bunch of us that just never heard these rumors.
A conventional port configuration, naturally aspirated, flathead Ford is capable of making over 400 hp on straight nitro.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
Mike B

I've seen pics of the LSR cars, exhaust up the top, intake and carb(s) hanging off the side, I think the consensus is it was an exercise in futility, or else everyone would be doing it to get more MPH's.
Mike B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:35 PM   #6
Ol' Ron

The center exhaust port handles the exhaust from one cylinder at time, so the port actually flows better than the end ports. Yes it gets hotter: however, I think the block is designed to handle that, or it would have caused more trouble at an earler date. As for racing, I think it depends on the type of racing. For short track, not an issue. For blown , or fuel, maybe alittle bit.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:31 AM   #7
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
"This engine has been around for a lot of years and no one has come up with a solution to the hot center port exhaust. It has been reported that this is the cause on block cracking and other performance problems."

I guess there are a bunch of us that just never heard these rumors.
A conventional port configuration, naturally aspirated, flathead Ford is capable of making over 400 hp on straight nitro.
Pete, How long will a flathead last at that power level? This is assuming that the builder/tuner is a knowledgeable individual.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:55 AM   #8
Bluebell

1320feet??????
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:23 AM   #9
Lawrie

Our dragster does not use nitro ,but we do use a 4-71 blower,we run it about every four weeks at our local strip,three or four years with this setup, no cracked block, no buggered bearings still will run around 140 mph most meets.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:53 AM   #10
Tom Walker

I think a shared exhaust port on a four stroke/cycle engine is only really a problem when you want to use a tuned exhaust system, which only really works on a head with an individual port for each cylinder. And even then it depends on the firing order. But with most V8s which have a shared centre port, the port has to deal with 2 pulses per crank rev, whereas the others obviously only have one per rev, and those two pulses are not evenly spaced in that one rev. There is often only one pulse separating them. This unevenness makes it impossible to effectively tune the header for the centre port.

All of this matters not one jot on your cooking flattie. In fact it is probably the reason they sound so luvly!
Tom Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #11
rotorwrench

Cadillac used the exhaust out the top on their flathead V8 and it worked OK but it was designed that way. They were quick to go overhead valve though so that tells a story in itself.

Most Ford V8 engines that experience cracks in the center deck likely had an overheating problem that went on just a little too long. A lot of folks didn't notice the problem until steam was gushing out from under the hood. There were no idiot lights back then.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #12
SofaKing

Has anyone tried this stuff? I understand the general principle is to inhibit heat absorption into the piston top or parent metal. It might help keep exhaust heat from transferring into the port walls.
I had been wanting to try it, along with another product they have that is supposed to improve heat transfer, when I was playing with air cooled motorcycle engines.

http://www.cerakotehightemp.com/fini...Q/piston-coat/
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #13
Henry Floored

Guys I don't think exhaust porting on the Flathead Ford is that big of a problem.

When that piston goes up on the exhaust stroke it's gonna slam the spent gases outta the cylinder. I concentrate on the end exhaust port entrances and exits. Those four locations are where you find sharp turns and flow limiting passage sizes.

In the center there is plenty if not too much exhaust port volume. The problem there is no structure to direct flow out the exhaust port. The heat riser should be filled to a point where it forms a curved back wall in the valve pocket area. A little thin tongue extending into the entrance of the center port would be icing on the cake.

In a non- compound actuated valve in block V engine like the Flathead Ford, (an example of a compound actuated valve in block V engine would be a Lycoming/Cord V8) the limit to airflow is all intake. A lot more intake flow has to occur, in my opinion, before we over tax the exhaust side.

To dramatically improve airflow in a conventional valve in block engine the entrance to the valve pocket or at least the shape of the port leading to the valve pocket could use a lot of improvement. The removal of abrupt changes of direction in the intake path is the first step to greater volumetric efficiency.

The next step and just as important is the relationship in valve to piston location. In the stock configuration we are almost literally asking the intake charge to "bounce" or at least deflect off an iron wall then head down into the cylinder.

If we want to move Flathead Ford airflow to the point where wholesale changes to exhaust porting become necessary I believe the stuff I mentioned need to be revisited.
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #14
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Pete, How long will a flathead last at that power level? This is assuming that the builder/tuner is a knowledgeable individual.
Several seasons.
It is usually torn down and checked after a meet.
Old 09-27-2015, 12:37 PM   #15
V12Bill

A few years back some one built a flat head with intake and exhaust ports both on the intake plane. The engine ran at Bonneville and set a new land speed record for flat heads. There were many other modifications of course. I am surprised that no one has mentioned this engine.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #16
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Cadillac used the exhaust out the top on their flathead V8 and it worked OK but it was designed that way. They were quick to go overhead valve though so that tells a story in itself.

Most Ford V8 engines that experience cracks in the center deck likely had an overheating problem that went on just a little too long. A lot of folks didn't notice the problem until steam was gushing out from under the hood. There were no idiot lights back then.

Not true about Cadillac being "quick to go overhead". They kept the flathead v8 for many years, 1914-1949, if I'm not mistaken. The early thirties v16 was ohv, but came back in the late thirties as a flathead.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #17
Henry Floored

Having not been around in the 30's and 40's I have to ask, was the Caddy and/or LaSalle ever considered a high performance engine?

I have no intention of disparaging the GM engines I just am still doubtful that top exhaust ports add that much power.

Now I do agree that longer internal ports add heat but Ford seemed to have that under control.

Maybe the ultimate solution would have been 4 exhaust ports with 2 running between the outer cylinders. That kind of reshuffling could have made more room for 5 main bearing webs. It probably would have also resulted in higher cost.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #18
rotorwrench

Maybe sooner is the word I should have used. They certainly were sooner than FoMoCo. When Ford finaly went overhead, it was mostly for trucks.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #19
Henry Floored

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Maybe sooner is the word I should have used. They certainly were sooner than FoMoCo. When Ford finaly went overhead, it was mostly for trucks.
I heard Ford had an OHV V8 at least in design and prototype stages as early as 1948.

The limited resources that Ford had, (since they were on the ropes post war) were devoted to the '49 Ford, Merc, and Lincoln car lines instead. In addition I believe Ford felt that their refreshed Flathead was still adequately competitive at least for a few more years.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:53 PM   #20
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Floored View Post
Having not been around in the 30's and 40's I have to ask, was the Caddy and/or LaSalle ever considered a high performance engine?

I have no intention of disparaging the GM engines I just am still doubtful that top exhaust ports add that much power.

Now I do agree that longer internal ports add heat but Ford seemed to have that under control.

Maybe the ultimate solution would have been 4 exhaust ports with 2 running between the outer cylinders. That kind of reshuffling could have made more room for 5 main bearing webs. It probably would have also resulted in higher cost.
There are several teams running flat Cad's at Bonneville.
I am part of one. Our engine is 375 ci and makes 600 hp.
It is in a 38 Chev coupe and has gone 189 mph.