Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
perrysmith

Default ?? History of non pressure radiator caps

I would be grateful if someone could tell me when the squarish non- pressure radiator caps were used, and when Ford went to a pressurized cooling system? Below is an ad I placed (in the forsale forum); I copy and paste it here as I understand these are unobtainium, and I wanted the word to get to those who might not otherwise notice. Also, was there more than one variety of these OEM caps? The ones I have are all the same.
Thanks,
Perry in Idaho

I have several of these nos Ford with the red latex gasket (which should be replaced as they invariably decompose). I have 10 or so. $40 each. To be sure, these are squarish in shape with four ears and have a 78 part number. I believe these appropriate for V8s between the end of exposed radiators to the onset of pressure caps. Paypal or any good money accepted. I will pay the postage.
PS the part number referred to is hard to read on decomposing Ford tags, in other words, there is no number to make these specific to 1937 on the cap itself. [email protected]
perrysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
JM 35 Sedan

Default Re: ?? History of non pressure radiator caps

Perry, I found this info on these caps (that I was asking about on your 4 sale ad) in the EFV8C/A 1935-36 Ford Book on pg. 108.

"The radiator cap for the '35-'36 radiator was a bail type cadmium plated steel cap. This cap had a steel rivet in the center. In approximately April/May of '36, this steel rivet, which connected the steel cap and locking cup was changed to brass to reduce corrosion. The cap remained unchanged throughout the '36 model year"

I have no idea of the full history on the non pressure type radiator caps. I believe the 78 number you say is hard to read on the tags on these caps may actually be a 48.

The '37-'38 and '39 radiator caps were totally different than the caps described in your ad.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
perrysmith

I think you have cleared it all up, these are all bail type with the plated steel rivet. I guess I lucked out on these, as seems to be a number of people already who want them.
Thanks,John
perrysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #4
FL&WVMIKE

I have enclosed photos of the steel riveted radiator cap and a NOS brass riveted radiator cap.
Note that the earlier steel riveted cap does not have the words, "FILL SLOWLY" embossed into it.
I was thinking that the steel riveted cap was early 1935, instead of up to early 1936 ?????
MIKE

CLICK ON PHOTOS TO ENLARGE - Twice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steelr35cap.jpg (241.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg nos35cap.jpg (192.8 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by FL&WVMIKE; 06-05-2011 at 10:34 AM.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
Don Rogers

Mike, I believe your up-side-down steel riveted cap was early 35 like your Cabriolet. The lettering "Fill Slowly" and the flipping of the steel rivet probably followed soon after. Ford service letters indicate that the brass rivet didn't come out till April/May of 36. Next trip to the Archives, I'll see if engineering drawings indicate when the "Fill Slowly" was added or if there is any reference to the rivet orientation. Perhaps there was an additional supplier other than Stant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steel.jpg (36.0 KB, 25 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
FL&WVMIKE

Don Rogers ......................
Thank you. I can't swear to it, but this might have been the original radiator cap to my early '35 Cabriolet.
It is very conceivable, that I changed caps, to have a better looking one on my car. Of course, this was back in the day, when a radiator cap was just a radiator cap. Who cared what the rivet was made of ?
Thanks,
MIKE
Old 06-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Mike, don't let that cap out of your sight..... it may be worth a small fortune to someone who happens to own an all original '35 fordor sedan ;-).

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 06-06-2011, 05:58 AM   #8
FL&WVMIKE

JM ................
Not much chance of me NOT holding on to it. If it is the original one from my '35, I have been holding on to it since 1967.
MIKE
Old 06-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
Lincoln

Don : On the question of when the wording was added to the radiator caps. A 5/19/36 Cleveland service letter stated : Added words " IF OVERHEATED FILL SLOWLY " in 0.030" raised letters to top of cap.
On the rivet question, I have seen original caps with brass rivets and brass cups, and ones with steel rivets and steel cups, and maybe even some with the brass/steel combination. Which is the correct combination?
Lincoln.
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
ken ct
BANNED

Do you have them for sale or what??? ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #11
Don Rogers

Lincoln (Bob) I found that same reference "If Overheated - Fill Slowly" in an Edgewater N.J. 5/15/36 Service Letter. I wonder if the "If Overheated" part was ever added?????

Regarding the steel/brass combinations.....I believe that the steel rivet/steel cup combo was used until they were both changed to brass in April/May of 1936
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
Lincoln

Don: Sorry for late answer. All the ones seen to date only have the "Fill Slowly". So can not explain Ford's reference to "If Overheated". Maybe a Ford typo, or a late change in plans.
Like you, I would also expect the correct rivet and cup combination to be either brass/brass or steel/steel to reduce corrosion between the two. But have also seen "Fill Slowly" caps with brass rivet/steel cup.
Lincoln
Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
ken ct
BANNED

I dont care what ever kind of rivit they have,ARE THEY FOR SALE OR WHAT. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #14
Gary in La.

Ken, Check your PM
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #15
Dadunlap

I have a 1936 ford sedan flathead V8 and I was reading that the radiator cap maybe non pressure type. if so how I determine this and where to purchase one.
Dadunlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:24 PM   #16
jacob smith

I have bought 4 or 5 of the caps that are shown above. One has a brass rivet in it. not one of them work on my 36 ford. HAd to use a gas cap to a mid 70s Mercedes. Worked like a charm. I Know the radiator is right. ALso has a B4 stampted on the back of it. Would like to find the right cap
Old 10-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #17
JM 35 Sedan

I wound up buying two of these NOS radiator caps from Perry Smith in 2011 to use on my '35's. Was happy to get these at his offering price back then. I have since seen some of these caps selling on eBay at a much higher price. I still see them come up for sale occasionally there now.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:28 PM   #18
CaliforniaBorn36

Dadunlap, I also have a 1936 Ford Sedan and recently purchased a cap from one of the early ford vendors. It looks period correct like the ones pictured above with the bail wire. I think it may have been C&G from Southern California, but I am not certain. Just look at their websites, they can be found.

If I can find the receipt, I will update this post.
CaliforniaBorn36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #19
35fordtn

Bob Drake was reproducing the 35-36 cap as well at $50.00 each It has the brass rivet, but unfortunately the cap is zinc plated but otherwise very nice.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote