Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #21
Mikeinnj

Default Re: Mice Deterent

Mice like rats are scavengers and are not afraid of bad smells, and the wives tales of moth balls, wintergreen, laundry sheets are all just bunk. A vicious feline or some strong poison or the have no heart traps are the only thing that work.....
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:44 PM   #22
roccaas

Start the car daily, let it idle for 20 minutes, carbon monoxide's hell on murine lungs.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #23
wrndln

I used scented Bounce dryer sheets a year or so ago in one of my cars. A mouse made a nest out of two of the sheets - it did have a nicely scented nest I have to admit! I have heard that the Bounce people changed the fragrance due to arsonist using bounce sheets to start fires. Evidently the original Bounce sheets didn't leave any residue which made detecting arson a lot tougher. Maybe it is just a tall tail, but who knows. I do believe mothball help keep the mice out. Since I have been using them for a year and half, I have had no mouse problems, whereas before I would find dead ones fairly often from my poison.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #24
Chris H

I keep my cars in a rented storage facility with steel walls and concrete floors. I use moth balls in small butter dishes on each side of the door, and place the remainder of a large box directly under the car, not inside it. The moth balls last a year or more, and I have never had any mice problems as yet. (I am knocking on wood as I type). The smell of moth balls disapears very quickly when I pull out of the storage unit. It has worked for the last 5 or 6 years.
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #25
Ken B

I have used the fabric softener sheets. The little rodents hate them and they leave a much nicer scent in your car than mothballs.
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #26
Dusty

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
D-CON has always worked for me, I put out a bate trap in the early fall and it always gets emptied. The second will last all winter without hardly being touched. Their ether all dead or very smart
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:54 AM   #27
CarlG

I had an unopened box of Decon in the garage that the mice chewed a hole in the box. Haven't seen any evidence of them since then.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #28
mjw

Irish Spring soap cut into smaller squares works for me on vehicles stored outside under a tarp. Steel wool in the exhaust. Inside I use bait as I can't stand the smell of Irish Spring...
mjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:15 AM   #29
Barry B./ Ma.

I use those small snap type traps with peanut butter bait. I've used Decon but found it in my screw and nut boxes and found Bounce fragments on the floor boards so I think they get accustomed to those things. Really, a set of good traps seem the best, they don't come back.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:42 AM   #30
Tom Wesenberg

I use mothballs in my Model A garage and haven't seen a sign of a mouse in the 2 years it's been up. I use traps with peanut butter inside and in front of the rollup door of the attached garage. After setting the traps a week ago and catching about 8 or 9 mice in a few days, the traps are now untouched, so the mice are under control again. I do like traps with peanut butter because you know where the mice are and you know they aren't coming back.

I have noticed that the last box of mothballs doesn't have the same strong smell like the same brand I bought 3 years ago. I don't mind the smell of mothballs and keep them under my rear seat cushion in my 28 Phaeton.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #31
wrndln

I have found that if you use poison, use the kind that is made into bars about 3" or 6" long. The mice have to eat it there and can't hoard it to eat it later. I once found almost a whole box of Decon pellets in a roll of carpet with a mouse skeleton with the pellets. The little critter went to all the work of moving each piece a long ways, downstairs to upstaiers and then, after all that work, it ate a couple pellets and died - poor thing.
Rusty Nelson
Old 01-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #32
SkimmerBob

Anybody heard of using aluminum foil along the bottoms of the garage doors. Someone told me that's what they use. I have never heard of that before. I don't know if it works or not.

Last edited by SkimmerBob; 01-14-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: after thought
SkimmerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:50 PM   #33
HoarseWhisperer

I noticed that LeBaron Bonney is now selling Fresh Cab as a mice deterrent.

http://www.earthkind.com/

Fortunately, I have not had a mice problem in the Garage M'hal, so no idea of the product's effectiveness.

Anyone use it?

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #34
wrndln

SkimmerBob,
Read my post about two thirds of the way back in this string about aluminum foil.
Rusty Nelson
Old 01-14-2012, 05:03 PM   #35
2935ford

If ever you see a mouse...they always hug the wall and they do not like to be in open (exposed ground). I always set Victor traps....w/no bait (just he little cheese thing they come with), against the walls. Has worked for me every time.

Have a garage fridge.......they love those....a whole family breeds under them as they are nice and warm due to the heat of the motor. Set you traps either side against the walls.
2935ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #36
bob p

bounce sheets, irish spring soap chips, wrap tires in alumminum foil, cost about $1 a car. almost any animal hates aluminum foil. I have 30 cars and no mice.
bob p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:42 AM   #37
jeep44

jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #38
Steve Wastler

My somewhat newly to adopt my garage, Cats. Two, momma and Minnie, all white killing machines, when the corn comes down the mice are on the move. They will leave the smaller pray just inside the cat door, till they know I have seen it, then snack time. The only thing I have had to dispose of are the Voles, they won't eat them. Their larges kill was a 5-6 pound rabbit, they only thing left was a puff of hair, but I wish they would have ate that one outside....
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #39
Bruce of MN

We have had mice inside the house and the little buggers would daintily nibble away the peanut butter and not trigger the traps. The glue traps I tried did work, though. Along the wall is the only way.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #40
JDakota

CRITTER OUT has worked good for me. Smells like peppermint and is not that expensive. 1 qt makes 2 1/2 gal. lay newspaper on floor or seat and put long strips of cloth on the paper and spray. Respray about once a month.
JDakota is offline   Reply With Quote