Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2021, 08:20 PM   #1
mgm60

Default 36 Horn Problem

So my horn does not sound at all like a horn, it sounds like a giant buzzer. Any ideas out there on how to trouble shoot. It is a 36 horn, not wired to the steering wheel horn button any longer. P.O. wired to a button under the dash.

Thanks
Mark
mgm60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:45 PM   #2
swedishsteel

Default Re: 36 Horn Problem

They take a lot of juice, and the less juice the "croakier" they sound. On my '36 coupe, I used the original horn, just bolted it on. I have a one wire alternator and the revs need to get pretty high before it will kick in. The horn will not "honk" if the alternator is not charging, and I have an Optima 6 volt so it isn't the battery. And I took extra care making good grounds, so I'm pretty sure it isn't that. On the other hand, I have no idea what the horn sounded like when new. Wiring harness is new and correct. Someday I might try direct wire it with heavier wire to see it makes a difference, but that is way down on the project list. Cheers.
swedishsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:09 AM   #3
mgm60

Thanks Swedishsteel. I'll pull it out this week, check grounds and see if more voltage makes a difference.
Old 05-02-2021, 06:44 PM   #4
mgm60

So I pulled both horns and applied voltage on the bench and the only difference is 12V is louder than 6V. I was able to get a little bit different in sound by adjusting the 3/8s fine adjustment nut. Your supposed to be able to set the air gap on the armatures. Does anybody out there know how that adjustment is made or have copy of original documents on adjusting? The bolt that holds the whole thing together has two thread sizes, one at the end for the fine adjustment and a larger one that goes through the rectangular nut on top of the armature.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:18 PM   #5
Lawson Cox

The 36 type horn does not have an "armature". I have never seen a horn with an armature. Maybe the old Aooga type but I'm not certain about that.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 08:45 PM   #6
mgm60

Thanks Lawson, maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing but here's a picture. My screwdriver is holding up what I called an armature. Believe I need a gap where I'm holding it up with the screw driver, or does it sit flush on the two post on either side of the winding?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_171a.jpg (52.9 KB, 156 views)
Old 05-02-2021, 09:02 PM   #7
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm60 View Post
Thanks Lawson, maybe I'm calling it the wrong thing but here's a picture. My screwdriver is holding up what I called an armature. Believe I need a gap where I'm holding it up with the screw driver, or does it sit flush on the two post on either side of the winding?

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 09:03 PM   #8
VeryTangled

Here are some pics that I took, and a diagram, I think from Don Rogers. The diagram tells the story.

A thread that might help. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229928

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Horn Diagram.jpg (50.5 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (50.9 KB, 126 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 05-03-2021 at 06:29 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:16 AM   #9
Terry,OH

Yes the horns do have an armature! The moveable piece of a solenoid can be called several things, armature is one.
It appears someone has modified the adjustment and removed the two adjustment nuts. posting #8 clearly shows how the adjustment should appear.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:55 PM   #10
mgm60

Thanks Jeff, the diagram should help me get it back together the right way.

And Terry that was me that modified the adjustment. I took the whole thing apart trying to figure out what adjustments were possible and now that I have that way going to clean it all up, repaint, reassemble and hope I can get a beep beep instead of a quack buzz.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:01 PM   #11
rotorwrench

A horn is made up of a vibrator coil with a moving armature to both act as the vibrating element and rapidly break the circuit to cause the vibration. Air gap is just to insure the armature doesn't rub the coil. Adjustment at manufacture was made to a specific current draw of the coil. Tone adjustment is just a slight adjustment of the pressure on the vibrator diaphragm. The old ones had the capacitor to make sure the points don't arc. It should be checked for the usual capacitor maladies and replaced if it's bad. These units didn't have a relay like the later ones did just before the war.

Running a 6-volt one on 12-volts can be a harsh experience. A person should really get the coil rewound for a more appropriate function if changing to the higher voltage. A dropping resistor can be used but it has an affect on the current draw.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote