Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
mrlaser

Default 8ba v8 ignition coil questions

On an earlier somewhat unrelated post, I mentioned problems that I experienced with (2) 6 volt coils that were purchased from two separate well known (Ford) early automotive suppliers. Both of these coils tested in the 3-4 ohm range in their primary circuits. This resulted in an extended period of problem solving before the engine would start. I had mistakenly assumed that the coils were correct for use with my Loadamatic distributor and associated ignition components. With the help of many other forum members, a made in America, Echlin coil was put in place and the engine started and ran beautifully.

Recently I checked with NAPA to purchase a spare EC-7 coil only to find that they were no longer available. My question then is whether anyone has information about where a correct, preferably domestically produced, coil can be purchased? Thanks in advance for any help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0114201956_HDR (1).jpg (35.0 KB, 56 views)
mrlaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:05 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 8ba v8 ignition coil questions

That looks like a 12v coil.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:14 AM   #3
Ross F-1

I think your coil is IC-7, still available:
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ECHI...=ignition+coil
Old 12-31-2020, 07:30 AM   #4
mrlaser

JSeery, I suspect that you are right that the coil is more likely a for a 12 volt application. Unfortunately it was advertised as a 6 volt unit. I purchased this part and a second from two separate early part suppliers. Both were listed as a replacement for a 6 volt system. One of the suppliers no longer list this part on their site. They were listed as correct for an 8BA ignition. I was unable to start the engine using this coil. I subsequently found a correct coil and was able to successfully get the engine running thanks to the help from you and many other members.

Ross F-1, Thank you for the lead. It says that this part isn't correct for a 1951 Ford car. Unfortunately, the primary and secondary resistance values are not listed in the accompanying specifications. I assume it is within acceptable limits since it is the same model that I am using currently.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:59 AM   #5
Charlie ny
BANNED

mrlaser,
I just purchased (3) IC - 7 coils at my NAPA.

Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:21 AM   #6
flatjack9

You want one with about half that resistance.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
mrlaser

Charlie ny,
Thanks. When I asked the young guy at the counter he he looked at me like I was asking for a blunderbuss. I did find it on NAPA online although their compatibility section says it would not "fit" my 1951 8ba V8. Never the less, my current coil is an Echlin i-7 and it has functioned nominally.

Flatjack9, my current Echlin ic-9 has a primary circuit reading of 1.5 ohms. Thanks for your advice, as well as the other contributing forum members.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:37 AM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Not sure what fitment came up for you, but from the Echlin catalog fitment for IC7. The form factor of the "can" coils may not match some of the earlier Fords, but functional work fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IC7 Coil.jpg (12.3 KB, 37 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #9
rotorwrench

Using voltage to describe the coil is somewhat problematic in this day and age since most counter people haven't been around long enough to know what they are.

The can type coils with the 1.5 Ohm primary coil winding can be used for 6 or 12 volt but a 1.3 to 1.5 Ohm ballast resistor has to be utilized when running them on 12-volt. Coils with 3-ohm primary windings may or may not have a "12V" marking on the outer case. The 3-Ohm coils need no ballast on 12-volt systems.

The key question to ask is "what is the resistance value of the primary". That doesn't mean any counter people will know that though so it's up to us to look for the specs or ask some one who will do that for you,
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:00 PM   #10
mrlaser

In my case I am running the original 6 volt positive ground and Load-o-Matic distributor. I also did see the NAPA fitment information, but since I was "burned" in the past (x2) by early Ford suppliers selling supposedly 6 volt coils, I wanted the Primary and secondary information before purchasing yet another unusable one for my specific application. Thank you both, I do appreciate your help.
Old 01-12-2021, 01:03 PM   #11
mrlaser

As a follow-up on this thread, I had actually begun to experience some missing when cruising at 30-40 mph . This was after the Echiln ic7 coil was in place and new points and condenser had been installed. In my search for an explanation I checked timing, compression, and spark plugs. I also noted that engine running temperatures were a bit high at 208-210. After communicating with Charlie ny , I checked the AC double action fuel pump for air bubbles at elevated RPMs but didn't detect any leakage at the junction of the glass bowl and the pump body. I also spoke with Gary Duff, who mentioned that he uses the epoxy filled Bosch 6 volt coils used in older VW's and found them to be trouble free. They have the proper primary resistance as shown in the attached picture. Since I wasn't having any success with resolving the stumbling, I decided to retrace my steps. When I rechecked the timing it was spot on at idle. On an impulse, since I had the vacuum tube which transmits the vacuum from the carb to the distributor off, I tried to blow air through it. It was completely blocked with debris. After cleaning it with carb cleaner and applying compressed air a large amount of corrosion was expelled. Once the tube was reconnected and the engine was restarted, the miss was gone. After several trips at highway speeds, the problem has not returned. After a drive at highway speeds, the engine temperature was rechecked with an infrared thermometer and the reading was 189. I suspect the lack of an advance in the timing contributed to the elevated engine temperature.I realize that this is an unlikely experience that others may have , but it is one more thing to check when faced with this type of problem. I really do want to express my appreciations for the help from all the forum members that I have received on this and other problems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210107-081944_2.jpg (23.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210107-081920_2.jpg (9.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 0321201159a_HDR.jpg (77.3 KB, 20 views)
Old 01-12-2021, 02:34 PM   #12
rotorwrench

Check the easy things first is a good way to troubleshoot. A non-functioning load-o-matic system will definitely cause higher than normal coolant temps. Operating with no advance is problematic as you now well know. The old Holley carbs with these systems can also get crud in the ports that provide the vacuum for the distributor but they are usually ready for a carb kit when they get crudded up anyway. I'm glad you found your problem. This post may help someone else out down the road.

The Bosch coils used to be blue but the replacements are silver now.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:29 PM   #13
flatford8

Great to hear a happy ending !!!..... NICE car!!... SHOEBOX!!!!.... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:04 PM   #14
mrlaser

Red face Re: 8ba v8 ignition coil questions

Fortunately, the Holly 94 has been restored by Charlie ny. I have a new vacuum line coming from Third Generation. I forgot to mention the color change on the Bosch coils. BTW , I have No financial (I wish) to Bosch products.😂