Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Shaun1162

Default 3 Speed Stuck in 3rd Gear?

I posted this over on the HAMB, but thought I might as well as you guys over here for some assistance...

I've got a '49-'52 (I beleive that's the years) F-1 toploader, open drive behind an 8BA in my old stock car.

Just got it registered, and during the first test drive I noticed a problem- I can't get it out of the 3rd gear! By engaging/disengaging the clutch a bunch I was able to finally get it out, but it keeps repeating itself..

So I pulled the cover, and then the top to the transmission. Here is how it looked when it was stuck in 3rd gear:

The little "dogs" popped up when 3rd went too far and prevented it from sliding back when I shifted it...

So following the advice of a HAMBer, I rotated the brass synchro ring a little, and the dogs slid back and I was able to pop it out of 3rd.

Here it is in neutral:

And then in 2nd gear:

I'm a REAL novice when it comes to transmissions, but the syncrho teeth seem to be in pretty good shape to me...

Is it a bent fork that could be causing this problem?

Would finding another top/shift tower fix the problem, or I am for sure going to have to pull the trans?

Thanks for any advice you guys can give, it's greatly appreciated...
Shaun1162 is offline   Reply With Quote