Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2022, 11:27 AM   #1
Andy

Default Need the angle of a 32 gas pedal

I have three 32 gas pedals and the angle of the spoon vs the throttle arm is different on all of them. It ranges like 30 degrees. I would like to make them all to the right angle. Would somebody with a stock arm take a measurement?
Thanks
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:30 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: Need the angle of a 32 gas pedal

The angle is different on different years and models. The spoon pedal was used over several years, so you likely have several different model spoons.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:23 PM   #3
DavidG

Andy, Are all three the same, namely having a straight shank between the spoon and cross shaft or the late version, curved between the spoon and cross shaft? And do all three have the ball on the left side of the shank to connect to the throttle bell crank on the left side instrument panel leg.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:43 PM   #4
Andy

David, All have the ball on the side. Two are curved and one is straight, The ball sticks out further on the straight one. I hope one is right. All could be modified. Thanks
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 05:04 PM   #5
DavidG

Andy,

I've checked all of the uninstalled '32-'34 gas pedals and pedal cross shafts that I have and It would seem that Ford maintained the location of the hole for the retaining pin where the pedal attached to the cross shaft perpendicular to the adjacent short straight section of the pedal shank across all versions of the pedals that I have. That makes sense in terms of the task of inserting the pin in the pedal end through the hole in the cross shaft Any variance from 90 degrees there would make the pin insertion process more difficult to perform.

I then checked the various uninstalled four and V-8 accelerator pedal cross shafts that I have and noted that indeed the pedal retaining pin holes varied from shaft to shaft reflecting their different applications.

So, in a way, we are back to square one relative to your question, Please check the retaining pin holes in the front end of your three pedals and see if any or all of those hole sets are approximately perpendicular to the adjacent short section of the pedal shank.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:56 PM   #6
deuce lover

I have found in comparing that pin hole of the pedal arm itself from a V8 to a 4cyl was clocked differently.Don't know if that is relative to your question.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 07:23 AM   #7
Phantom Phaeton

The 1934 Ford V8 Pickup/Truck pedal is the same as a 32 V8, minus the clocking issue stated above. I think they clocked them differently due to the slope on the 34 commercial firewall.
Phantom Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote