Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
RockHillWill

Default Peter Tommasini metal shaping class with two Fordbarn members

More preparations today, setting up the wheeling machines, touching up the buck contours and sorting thru the tools to be used. The Porsche US racing team is located in Rock Hill, and we took a look at the race shop this afternoon. Jim Hery and Peter Tommasini getting ready for the morning influx of students. I have moved the speedster out of the shop as I intend to gather as much info as possible about the wheeling machines and the Bugatti fenders. The bucks shown are for the Bugatti front and rear fenders, the headlight bucket and two speedster bucks, one for the nose and one for the cowl section. There are two Fordbarners that will be in attendance. One is working on a cowl and the other an unknown project at this time. I have a two door door skin that I want to build.

PeterClassTues 002.jpg

PeterClassTues 009.jpg

PeterClassTues 013.jpg

PeterClassTues 014.jpg

PeterClassTues 021.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 11-04-2016 at 12:15 PM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:18 PM   #2
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Peter Tommasini metal shaping class with two Fordbarn members is about to begin

Out in Hershey this year, I came across a guy named Langley or something,From Ohio (IIRC) who did classic parts reproduction and he had a masterpiece. The part was a front fender for a 1938 Horch. It was a rather large fender made up of 10 panels. And with it was the "Gauge" that was a plywood mockup reminiscent of a layout of the pattern of a ship's hull profile. The welding (TIG) on the fender was excellent, in fact, everything was excellent. I realize this doesn't have much relevance to what you're doing, but it was great to see a young guy doing such beautiful work.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:52 AM   #3
RockHillWill

Default Re: Peter Tommasini metal shaping class with two Fordbarn members is about to begin

Terry, that is the purpose of classes like this. It is an ongoing effort to pass on the age old tradition of panel beating. There are a number of both young and 'newbies' that attend these Peter Tommasini classes. I think the 'gauges' that you speak of are similar to the wooden bucks seen in the pictures above. They are a pattern to which you fit individual panels to make the finished product. For these aluminum Bugatti panels and the Model A parts as well, we will be gas welding the panels together. It is generally thought that the gas/torch welding produces a more malleable joint and that makes it more usable in the wheeling machines and hammering applications that do away with the cracking and fracturing of the welds. Peters entire program is built around the fact that all that is actually needed to do metal shaping is an English wheel, a wooden stump and a selection of hammers and dollies.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Is there really a demand to reproduce your own Model A Ford parts ? Wayne.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:18 PM   #5
RockHillWill

More pictures - The first day of class. Peter's mastery of the simple and obvious makes learning a pleasure. His knowledge of English wheel design is obvious in the product he provides. He is true master metal shaper.

PTCLASSWED 003.jpg

PTCLASSWED 005.jpg

PTCLASSWED 007.jpg

PTCLASSWED 008.jpg

PTCLASSWED 009.jpg

PTCLASSWED 011.jpg

PTCLASSWED 015.jpg

PTCLASSWED 016.jpg

PTCLASSWED 021.jpg

PTCLASSWED 023.jpg

PTCLASSWED 024.jpg

PTCLASSWED 025.jpg
Old 10-27-2016, 06:23 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Will, is that one of Ben's Mechhammers? If so, did it replace your CP planisher?

Great pictures BTW!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:27 AM   #7
Terry, NJ

Will, Thanks for the pictures! One was particularly interesting to me. The one where he was resurfacing a hammer. Doesn't seem like much, but it's the only person, except myself, I've seen do that. The reaffirmation is always needed when you're working alone, just by instincts and misapplied skills.
Oh yes. Those wooden "Bucks" are what I called a Gauge in my first post.
Terry
Old 10-27-2016, 09:28 AM   #8
goodcar

The repro Model A fenders sold by Snyder's and others come with a caveat "sold as is, require reworking to fit." Doesn't anyone sell new fenders that fit, other than fiberglass??
Is there anyone who does the rework on a regular basis. This isn't something I can do myself and would think there'd be a demand if someone specialized in doing the work.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:40 PM   #9
RockHillWill

Brent: that Mechammer is on loan from Jimmy Matthews, who purchased the first Tommasini wheeling machine that got that 'ball' rolling. It is an excellent tool, very well made and extremely adaptable and well made.

I have spent the better part of the last three weeks with Peter Tommasini, travelling 7-8 states, attending three of his classes, many, many meals and I find that I am not capable of learning all that he is capable of teaching in that amount of time. Peter is an absolute magician regarding the simple tasks required for metal shaping. He has had 47 years as a master metal craftsman, and up until 4 years ago, did it all with just an English wheel, a stump, a variety of hammers and a brake and bead roller. Amazing. It has become apparent that there are many opinions about how to go about metal shaping, particularly the use of the English wheel, But it has become apparent to me there is one preferred design of wheeling machine, along with the technic using that style machine to achieve RAPID and ACCURATE results. That comment will appear confrontational, but I am willing to back up that statement with my newly discovered perspective. Lots of folks using lots of style wheels, can, and have made many terrific, nice looking panels, will give an argument to that statement, but they have spent un-necessary amounts of time to achieve them. I have been just over whelmed by the amount of time, research and expenditures done to arrive at the current configuration of Peters wheeling machine, and am most appreciative of the time he has allowed me to spend with him.

PeterclassThu 007.jpg

PeterclassThu 008.jpg

PeterclassThu 010.jpg

PeterclassThu 013.jpg

PeterclassThu 015.jpg

PeterclassThu 016.jpg

PeterclassThu 019.jpg

PeterclassThu 023.jpg

PeterclassThu 029.jpg

PeterclassThu 030.jpg

PeterclassThu 034.jpg

PeterclassThu 035.jpg

PeterclassThu 036.jpg

PeterclassThu 037.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 10-29-2016 at 06:28 AM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #10
Terry, NJ

Will, That stump reminds me of making a patch panel for the right front door of my Town Sedan. Only I was using an old anvil. I had an old anvil with a bad surface and I resurfaced it only I left a depression in one side. This depression was just what I needed to make the the belly/curvature of the patch. It worked like a charm!
Looking at the depression in that stump, I'd say i looks like it was made with the tip of a chainsaw bar.
Terry
Old 10-27-2016, 10:28 PM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Is he teaching how to make just Model A parts?
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 12:11 AM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcar View Post
The repro Model A fenders sold by Snyder's and others come with a caveat "sold as is, require reworking to fit." Doesn't anyone sell new fenders that fit, other than fiberglass??
Is there anyone who does the rework on a regular basis. This isn't something I can do myself and would think there'd be a demand if someone specialized in doing the work.
Those are the "best" made.

Look here for the how to's to fix them.

http://www.modelahouse.com/tech/fender/index.html
Old 10-28-2016, 05:59 AM   #13
RockHillWill

Terry, the indentation was made from using a ball end router with a tapered and angled fixture made by Jimmy Matthews per Peter Tommasini. The popular round indentation, most commonly seen in the wooden stumps, is apparently a design that has been passed on and on with no apparent good use other than making small bowls. The use of the stump with the open ended configuration is most useful for making shrinking 'tucks' along many shapes and sizes.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:41 AM   #14
Logan

Will I wish I could have been there this year. It looks like another great weekend. I hope to be able make the redneck roundup though.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:46 AM   #15
goodcar

Great article. Thanks. Unfortunately beyond my expertise but will save the info to pass on to someone in the future who can do the work.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:50 PM   #16
RockHillWill

Here are pictures from todays class (Friday).

PeterClassFri 033.jpg

PeterClassFri 028.jpg

PeterClassFri 019.jpg

PeterClassFri 016.jpg

PeterClassFri 014.jpg

PeterClassFri 010.jpg

PeterClassFri 009.jpg
Old 10-30-2016, 05:36 AM   #17
RockHillWill

Pics of last day of class.

PeterClassSat 003.jpg

PeterClassSat 005.jpg

PeterClassSat 009.jpg

PeterClassSat 013.jpg

PeterClassSat 014.jpg

PeterClassSat 015.jpg

PeterClassSat 017.jpg

PeterClassSat 018.jpg

PeterClassSat 019.jpg

PeterClassSat 021.jpg

PeterClassSat 025.jpg

PeterClassSat 031.jpg

PeterClassSat 033.jpg
Old 10-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #18
RockHillWill

Thanks to fellow Fordbarners Barry Duckworth from South Carolina and Gary Kelley, from my old home town of Gregory, Michigan. They both seemed to pick up many tricks and I am certain that it will make some things in their Model A restorations some what easier to accomplish, without having to pay some one to do it for them. Thank you guys for attending.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:57 AM   #19
Rex_A_Lott

IMG_0274.jpg
Gary brought the cowl for his Gordon air compressor for the normal rust repair at the bottom. He also had some other parts he had picked up. The cowl was what I guessed was a commercial cowl, as it had no windshield posts and didnt look like they had been cut off. I thought I had pictures of the top of the cowl, but...
I enjoyed talking to Gary about his compressor, as I have only seen pictures before. Another neat piece of history.
Sorry about the sideways picture, I dont know why it did that and I dont know how to fix it.

Last edited by Rex_A_Lott; 11-01-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:31 AM   #20
Gary Kelley

First I want to Thank Will for opening up his shop and hosting this class. I learned a lot and would not hesitate to recommend this class to anyone with the slightest interest in sheet metal at any level.
Here are before and after pictures of my compressor cowl corners that we repaired as part of a 'class project'. The right side is not quite done yet. You can see the arc where it is marked to be cut out for the compressor air tank. What really amazed me is that we actually formed these 'patch' panels out of a flat piece of steel right there during the class.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LHCompressorCowlBefore.jpg (49.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg LHCompressorCowlAfter.jpg (48.5 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg RHCompressorCowlBefore.jpg (55.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg RHCompressorCowlAfter.jpg (43.5 KB, 47 views)
Gary Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote