Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2015, 10:58 PM   #101
Terry Burtz, Calif

Default Re: Fellas... I've had enough...

Ian Simpson,

You are 100% correct that verified names should be required to post. I would also like to add that a city and state should also be required to post.

With a real name and location, those that hide behind their keyboard will think twice about what they post.

Terry Burtz, Campbell, CA
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:13 PM   #102
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Henry,
My Dear departed wife, Pat, had a sign in her IRS office, "I AIN'T YO' MOMMA"!!
Bill W.
Bill, I love it. I should have had a sign in my office when dealing with student miscreants stating: " I ain't your friend". Doubly so after I moved into the internal audit office and dealt with computer based frauds.

Last edited by ian Simpson; 08-26-2015 at 11:38 PM. Reason: more poor grammar
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:18 PM   #103
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtbird View Post
I know of several knowledgeable posters who have quit, myself included, for several reasons, which include open attacks on the forum and hate mails via PM. It is tiring.
Tbirdtbird, I have not always agreed with you, but I have always tried to keep my comments civil. On the one occasion that I think I overstepped civil bounds, I publically apologized. Please do not go away mad because of such incidents from me and others. Although not always in agreement, I value your opinion.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:00 AM   #104
Roadster62

Just posted a question, first one in months, then read this thread. There are some helpful people here, but for the most part not a "family", I believe this is because of the degree of restoration levels. I'll scroll through the other threads and see if there is anything of interest. Thanks for all you do Ryan. Bob
Old 08-27-2015, 12:44 AM   #105
Henry's Lady's Man

This is supposed to be our hobby... our fun time to learn from the ones who've BEEN THERE UNDER THE HOOD a lot longer than me, for instance.

If you had a bad day at work, or with the wife, don't bring it here. I got my own stuff.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:52 AM   #106
BILL WILLIAMSON

Are we through? I DESPERATELY need to go P** & go to BED--LOL
Bill W.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:11 AM   #107
Charlville

Ryan

Excellent post, agree with you 100%
Sporadic progress on My 1929 Sport Coupe can be found here along with my blog
http://automotiveamerican.com/
Charlville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:07 AM   #108
monto

In reading the comments posted herein, it is obvious that a mutual passionate interest in Ford A's prevails among respondents who strongly appreciate the benefits of participation in this forum. A positive, productive attitude prevails. Here, as in other arenas, for the most part, the good guys outnumber the bad guys.
Ryan, thank you. If there are "negatives", I say,"dump them".
I like to think that I'm here to listen, learn and help.
monto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:35 AM   #109
Terry, NJ

While I sort of agree with Ryan and his solution to the problem, I have yet to see a problem. Maybe I'm not looking at enough posts. I'm more concerned with my own missteps and or statements where I Might disagree with someone and they take my statements as being too harsh. I can't recall anyone ever saying "STFU" to someone in here. I jut haven't seen it. Get a grip guys! This is dry technical stuff, not hot and cold romance! I can't imagine someone getting that passionate over axle threads, water pumps, and steering gears, maybe oil or STP.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:52 AM   #110
Vin-tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
If requiring members of this forum to be civil with each other or, at the very least, to ignore those they don't get along with is an act of censorship, well then... consider me a censor.

Point being, opinions are cool fellas. Opinions will always be welcomed. However, if you can't express an opinion without bagging another person in the process, then this forum will not cater to you.

This is really just a matter of simple manners. Our parents taught us this, right? So, it shouldn't be too hard to extend those principles to a forum about old Fords.

As a forum admin with limited hours in a day to tend to admin manners, the really hard part of all of this to me is this:

I have about ten members that are constantly complaining about one another. If I had the time, I'd go back and look at years of post history to see who started what... But I don't. Further, I don't really care too... It's not fun... and this is supposed to be fun for me too... But because I don't have this context, I have no side in any of these arguments and long standing hate fests. Instead, I tell each side to simply be nice to each other, ignore each other, and move on.

You what the typical response to this is? They ignore me... and continue bashing each other on a forum that I provide to them at no cost what so ever.

That's really the part I'm done with. I'm essentially wiping the slate clean at this point and giving these people one last chance. But, that's it...
Ryan, I just want to say thank you for standing your ground. I don't know who these people are, or what they're complaining about. I, like many on here just want to learn about how to work on these cars. I vote NOT to give these ten members another chance. Kick them out now and let the drama be done so we can get back to what we're here for.
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:05 AM   #111
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:

If I had the time, I'd go back and look at years of post history to see who started what... But I don't. Further, I don't really care too... It's not fun... and this is supposed to be fun for me too... But because I don't have this context, I have no side in any of these arguments and long standing hate fests. Instead, I tell each side to simply be nice to each other, ignore each other, and move on.

Ryan, I can only relate my personal opinion in this but I strongly believe where a lot of this 'bantering/bickering' has evolved from is in the beginning of this Fordbarn it was stated that this forum would be for the discussion of Restoration topics only with a few sidebars thrown in. For some, this was huge as their passion ( -and interest ) was for the restoration ( repair of an item with some sort of goal of authenticity involved ) of a Model-A. Not for liberal modifications or rodding of a Model-A. Your new site was exciting simply because the old FB site, and the other Model-A forum had become very liberal in this regard.

During this time period, I know that many here ( -both privately & publicly ) tried to protect the(ir) new Fordbarn defending the mission that it was for discussing Restoration only, ...and in the process "drove a wedge" between both sides, -those participants that were for accurate restoration processes, and those who weren't. In some ways, you cannot blame these people who were only trying to defend a forum of which they had freely shared a vast amount of their research/information that had cost them greatly in the forms of time & money.

Right or wrong, ....admittedly or not, many here still resent what happened in the past regarding this defending of turf. Some have chosen to move on, or limit the content they post publicly. Others have been able to overlook the past hurts and try to participate civilly. Some wounds will likely never heal, and others have taken a vast amount of time. I know it is Your Forum and Your Rules ( and I respect that ) but it does bother me somewhat when we look around to see some of the very participants that provided their information that made this forum great, and now they are no longer here, -or rarely post any content now. Just my perspectives on this, and, I do appreciate what you have provided for all of us.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:02 AM   #112
Mac_4

Quote:
There are social cliques in this community... And through posts on the forum as well as through private messages, these cliques seem to be constantly battling each other and seemingly measuring each other's manhood.

The reasoning behind it all baffles me. This is, after all, just a forum about old Fords. I can't, no matter how hard I try, find a rational reason for anyone to attack or ridicule another person over an old Ford.

I have a whole bunch of kids. One of them is 9 and her class recently got to debate on the lunch menu - what is served on what days and things like that. Now if you have a 9 year old, you know how important this is to them. It's like three or four on their life priority list.

Anyway, the parents were told to sit on the sidelines and let the kids go at it while the teacher moderated. They argued back and forth over things like pizza and burgers for an entire hour. In that hour, not a single 9 year old called another 9 year old a name... And not a single 9 year old told another 9 year old to "shut up."

Amazing given the way some of you guys treat each other, isn't it?

I have a theory. Kids are honest. Kids are wholesome. They haven't been tainted by society and they haven't had their ego stomped on by years of the kinds of abuse life can bring. Grown men on the internet, however, are entirely different. Some of them aren't honest. Most aren't wholesome. Some have battered egos. Hide them behind a computer screen with a silly username and an avatar and all of this is amplified to the point of nausea.

If we were all at a bar having this conversation, do you think anyone of you would tell anyone else in the conversation to "shut the fuck up?" And if you did, how long do you think you would be welcome in the group?

So why on earth would you do it on a forum about old Fords?

I believe it's because some of you like the feeling of being something online you really aren't in real life. And some of you like to act online in a way that you are too scared to act offline. In either case, I don't like to host these kinds of fellas. I would rather them not be on my forum at all. Maybe that's my issue... Maybe I should be more understanding of these folks, but I've failed miserably when I have tried.

In any case, I'm done. I'm done baby sitting a bunch of kids at a name calling party.

- Want call some other guy a name because you disagree with him? Your account is gone.

- Want to constantly report another member's posts because you feel he is doing the same to you? Your account is gone.

- Want to team up on another group of members with all your buddies? All of your accounts are gone.

In short, I'm done fellas. It's either you or me... And it isn't gonna be me.

Note: To those of you that are just here to enjoy old Fords, learn a thing or two, or teach something to the masses - please excuse this post and understand that in order to end all of the drama, you might start to see some really common names around here gone.
Nice one.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Mac_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #113
marc hildebrant

Ryan,

I support your idea.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:39 AM   #114
Lona

When I post a question, I always hope to see a reply from a certain group of knowledgable individuals whose opinions I have grown to respect through reading their past informative posts. Unfortunately, some of these elder statesmen no longer participate or do so infrequently for the reasons Ryan mentioned and that is a big loss to the many of us who look to them for solutions and advice. I urge those of you in this category to reconsider and rejoin the forum for the sake of keeping the hobby alive and cultivating new members.

This is not to say the less experienced or newbies should not post. Even a comment from a first time owner is valuable if he/she is reporting on how they resolved a problem in a way I did not think about.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:46 AM   #115
talwrench

I got my first A in Jan 15, I needed help!!! I got endless help just reading the post on here. This site and the knowledge base is incredilbe for those wanting to learn!! I would sure miss this site. Ryan, you fired the warning shot!!!!! THANKS FOR ALL U DO!!! Tim
talwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:17 AM   #116
TnA

Ryan , sounds good to me. I wonder if this is the time to announce my hybrid, 26 roadster on an A frame with an 8ba.. Just testing the water, oh yea and my name is Bruce ....lol
TnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:12 PM   #117
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Ryan,

In your reporting:

"There are social cliques in this community... And through posts on the forum as well as through private messages, these cliques seem to be constantly battling each other and seemingly measuring each other's manhood" ....... plus your subsequent related remarks, I had absolutely no idea this was going on behind the scenes in PM's until this past spring when I received a few private emails in my email account from others on this Forum.

They forwarded some of these condescending PM remarks & their emails to me , and I was shocked to see some of these comments loaded with unfavorable criticism and jealously and who was sending same ...... some appear to have hints of mature, egotistical "grown-up" minds with severe mental illness ..... these are only Model A's.

I'm sure if you had access to PM's ..... and ever posted just a few of these PM's from people who post messages openly, many would realize how serious and concerned you are about maintaining professional helpful attitudes and your concern for the future of this Forum.

Also, as you kindly infer, there are many kind & helpful souls on this Forum willing to assist others.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #118
Mcb12

As a new Model A owner I just want to thank Ryan and all the members of this forum who offer advise, support, and knowledge. I could not successfully be a happy owner, and drive my A without the information on this forum, I would have given up in frustration. Thank you all for your help.
Mcb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #119
Curt Campbell

I use my real name and address here. I want people to know I am real and can be contacted. In some less desirable forums perhaps hidden identity is wise. But here we are just a bunch a buddies who for the most part, haven't met yet. Think of Brent, marco, bill. Jim brierly, Tom w, Don Turley just to name a few. Stand up guys. Let's all be. None of us want your credit card number....

Curt Campbell, ottumwa IA

Just use your name.
Curt Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #120
rowens55

. None of us want your credit card number....

Curt Campbell, ottumwa IA

Just use your name.[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself! That's how I financed my 55CV build! :0)
Rowen