Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
SLPreston53

Default CAL Title

I am thinking about piecing an "A" together here in California. But, of course I do not have a title. I do have a bill of sale with the chassis VIN on it. Does anyone know what the steps would be to get a title/registration in CA? I have checked the DMV website, and it is pretty confusing... THANKS in advance!!
SLPreston53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #2
Chris Haynes

Default Re: CAL Title

Steve,
I have done this many times. It is relatively easy if you remember one thing. THE DMV ONLY KNOWS WHAT YOU TELL THEM. With that in mind DO NOT TELL THEM THE CAR WAS BUILT FROM PARTS. Take the car to the DMV on a trailer before you bolt the body in place. The car doesn't have to be running or roadworthy. Once in the DMV ask them for an APPLICATION FOR TITLE. Don't mention that you have any receipts or a bill of sale for anything. Fill out the application for title. If they ask about the car tell them it has been sitting on your family property and there is no title. They will run the frame and engine number on their computer. if it has not been registered anywhere in the last seven years you are in. So have the DMV check the numbers for you before you get too far into the project. Now you pull the car around to the inspection area so the DMV numbers person can look at the numbers. They fill out the paper and you go inside and pay a few bucks and in a couple weeks you title arrives in the mail.

If the numbers do come up as being registered to someone you must try your best to contact them. If they can't be contacted you go back to the DMV and ask for paperwork to do a Lien Sale. Follow the instructions there. Many times a towing company will do all the lien sale paperwork for you for a $50.00 fee.

It is best to do this while the car is still looking poor. If you wait till it is gleaming and shiny you may be directed to the CHP as they may think it has major reproduction parts.

It ain't rocket science. If ya need help let me know. I often have days off during the week.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
SLPreston53

Thanks, Chris! That is exactly the information I needed. Much appreciated.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
'29wagon

or call the CHP (california highway patrol), they'll come to you and just one Vin # (vehicle identification number) is required , they have the proper forms for you to submit to the DMV (department of motor vehicle) I suggest going this rout. the DMV ran me around loops with a vehicle that had only one VIN # , CHP cleared it up .
it's an antique restoration, the motor may have been changed out and the DMV can not think beyond their computer . leave the car at home.
Then with the proper form signed by a VIN officer go the the DMV for an Application for Title , you should walk outta there with new tags and current operable registration,
then once notice comes to show proof of insurance, do so or let it laps as I did and opt. to non-op. it.
Mine will sit for a few years so the incurred fees will not amount to much.
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Jerry in Shasta

The short version is get TITLE ONLY, to the vehicle. Later you go back with the title only document and pay for "registration" or the right to drive on the road. They do not care if the car is drivable or not. They are only declaring that you are the sole owner of the vehicle with that VIN number.

The idea is you DO NOT want to go to the first time DMV or CHP with a bright and shiney car. Because they will set the value, tax rate, at the bright and shiney rate.

In our area CHP will not come to you you must take the car to them
Jerry in Shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #6
Chris Haynes

Call the CHP to come to my house and verify a number? Pass that over here when yer through tokin' on it.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #7
TK in LA

Does Triple A (AAA) still do it?
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
Brubaker

Any 'peace officer' will do. For my VIN verification, I brought the frame down to our local police department(w/ paperwork in-hand) and the officer on duty verified the number and filled out the paperwork.
Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #9
TerryH

Yes, AAA can help with car title and registration. I used the office here in Orange County, CA, and they were very helpful........had a man there that specialized in older, classic and antique cars and their problems.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:40 AM   #10
TK in LA

Thanks Terry. The office in La Verne has always been very helpful but I wasn't sure that the state hadn't changed the rules since my last visit.
TK in LA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
Charlie Stephens

Talk to the guys in your local car club and find out if any police officers make house calls (there may even be one in the club) and find out what DMV has a knowledgeable person working behind the counter.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
A-Jay

My Model A came from Cal. awhile back and it has state of CAL. Vin plate which has been attached to the drivers side frame near the the starter and a second one located in the door jamb near the hinge's . Cal. used their own numbering system. That's what Va. used on my title.
A-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #13
Chris Haynes

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Jay View Post
My Model A came from Cal. awhile back and it has state of CAL. Vin plate which has been attached to the drivers side frame near the the starter and a second one located in the door jamb near the hinge's . Cal. used their own numbering system. That's what Va. used on my title.

That is what happens when you tell them the car was built from parts.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
SLPreston53

Chris,
Do you have to have a body present when the car is inspected, or is the VIN stamped on the block and frame enough?
Thanks for your help!!
Old 09-15-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
'29wagon

from my experience with titling is that the DMV needs two numbers , one on the frame, one on the motor or body. you will need a frame to build a car. my model A was eaten by worms and I had a private inspectier drop by where I have dismantled its remains.
The private needed two numbers , I left the motor on the frame for that inspection.
Then I titled it.
My other project needed the assistance of the CHP (california highway patrol) who only needs one number on the frame . He also was invited to the residence where this had been parked.
I would go through the CHP every time and recommend it to the DMV .
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:09 AM   #16
John LaVoy

In California I have used VIN verification people. You pay them to come to your house they do the paperwork and submit it. They are not CHP. CHP will do it but you have to contact the office and set up an appointment for when the "VIN Verification" officer is working. Not alway convenient. The DMV will also do it and have used them too.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #17
glenn in camino

License fees in Calif have gotten pretty expensive. How does the state calculate the license fee on an "assembled from parts" Model A?
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote