Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-11-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
FF82

Default Body Off

I've got the body off the frame of my 30 A for painting.....how have those of you out there who have done this put it back on (jacks / lift etc) I don't want to damage the paint yet i would like it to be easy enough to make slight adjustments to line up holes etc....any input would be greatly appreciated.
FF82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen
Default Re: Body Off

Not sure i understand the question, are you asking how to pick up the body, or asking how to pick up the frame, if the the body what i do is get a 4x4 or 6x6 with help slide it Thur the windows have towels over the wood and then lift from the ends of the X it matters which style body you have where to put it, henry used big clamps with pads under them to grab in the same place, and set the body down on the frame., one more thing i did which seem to help is take a 1\2 all thread and install it on each side of the frame this acted as line up pins so we could just drop it in place, you will need help noway is this a one mans job good luck AL

Last edited by allen; 08-11-2010 at 06:33 AM. Reason: spelling
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
Gary/IA

Default Re: Body Off

I had the body of my Tudor sitting on 4 X4 's, just high enough to clear the chassis. I had first removed the steering sector so the body didn't have to be lifted very high.

I rolled the chassis under the body, jacked up the body and placed 2X4 blocks under each corner between body and chassis, removed 4X4 's and then using a jack removed a layer of 2X4 block alternately front to back.

If you use larger blocks (4X4) the body will be tilted more and may start to slide some.

This method is not the safest but it does get the job done if you don't have access to better methods or any help. Just be careful.
Gary/IA is offline   Reply With Quote