Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default Model "A" Ford Clubs

Can anyone name a Model "A" club that went out of business because there were no younger generation successors?
Old 08-25-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Model "A" Ford Clubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bidonde View Post
Can anyone name a Model "A" club that went out of business because there were no younger generation successors?
Nope. The main thing that I have seen is clubs that the membership quit coming because the club was stale.

I have been around the Model-A hobby for all of my life. My father was one of the founding members of the Houston TX Model-A club when I was about 5 years old. I can remember listening to the old men some 50 years ago telling others that when they die, no one will be interested in Model-As. As they passed on, a younger generation became the caretakers until they 'aged-out'. A younger generation purchased those Model-As and now they are aging-out. I would expect this trend to continue with future generations however the clubs are going to need to provide a value to these owners, -or they won't be interested in participating.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #3
David R.

There are apparently none near me. WV
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:04 PM   #4
John Dayhuff

Yes, the Battle Creek car club which used to put on the Charelton Park show in Hastings Michigan. And I'm not sure but I don't think the Kalamazoo Antique Auto Restorers Club is no longer in existence from what I can tell, they were the first to put on the Gilmore's car show in 1985 or 1986, I can't remember which. Perhaps both morphed into another club through various members....? I'm not really sure but it seems like all of those older generation people that I remember my mom and dad hanging around with at club events seem to be no longer around.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #5
Brad in Germany

Yes, the Potomac Chapter in Potomac, MD - gone (may years ago now).

Brad in Maryland
Brad in Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #6
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Dont worry,Hubley racing and era fashions will keep the flame lit

shows with more judges than judged cars works too..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:24 PM   #7
Chris in WNC

A few days ago I was looking at a 1977 issue of the Model A News.

Looking at the Regional News section I noticed many of the clubs in the southeast from 1977 are gone.

But there are sill about the same number active, if not more......
Old 08-25-2020, 10:08 PM   #8
700rpm

I have been a member of MAFCA and the Beaver Chapter since 1961, except for 1977-78 (personal upheaval). But this year is my last for both. Why? Because after 59 yrs in the hobby, I have experienced everything I need or ever wanted to experience.

I don’t know everything there is to know about A’s, but I know what I need to know to keep my cars running, and I know the right people to ask if I get in a jam. I am past the age of acquiring more things; certainly any more cars and Model A parts. The Restorer is a good magazine, but again, after 59 years it’s a little redundant.

As for the Beaver Chapter, most of my friends there have retired, dropped out, or passed away, and when I go to meetings I hardly know anyone, and mostly have nothing to contribute any more. Ergo, why go? The Beaver Chapter itself is still strong and full of good people and when C-19 subsides it will return to being one of the best chapters in MAFCA. But at 75, I think I have just aged out of the hobby.

That’s my story, but it may exemplify what is happening with other people in other clubs. Not a loss of interest in a club or the cars, but just too old or ill or whatever to give what it takes to be a viable club member. Enough of that, and the club closes down.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 08-25-2020 at 10:23 PM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 03:23 AM   #9
SAJ

Ray I am finding the opposite. I am 76. Still own a manufacturing company, but only get to work at 11am and leave my desk for my workshop in the same factory buildings at 5 or 6 pm, where I mess about with my old cars for an hour or 2.
Weekends are for club runs, or fixing cars during Covid while locked down.
I read several forums every morning before work and again after dinner. Definitely a bit OCD, but it keeps me relaxed and my brain working.
Up to age 70, when quite a bit of osteo arthritis hit my shoulders, my time was filled with motorcycling, boating etc. Now old cars have replaced this as more in tune with my advancing age and lessening strength and mobility.
A 4 post hoist is vital now because I cannot easily get up and down from the floor, and this and my workshop has bought other club members around for social meetings.
So, quite the opposite to your case, I have more and more time for the old car collecting and fixing hobby the older I get. And youngsters are mostly there to help out when I get stuck on something too heavy. By youngsters I mostly mean 60 year olds who have not encountered physical decay yet like I have.
The social part of club runs is one highlight of each week, with many weekends away with club member friends in the summer
SAJ in NZ
1930 Roadster
1931 Tudor
1952 Riley 2.5 litre
1953 Alvis 3 litre
1962 3.8 litre Jaguar M2
Various motor bikes
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:04 AM   #10
GerryAllen

Saj, got my Model A at age 68 and so happy I did. All the Model A types I have met have been great. Our club tries to have meetings of interest. Each meeting a member gives an informative talk on a certain subject which I really appreciate.
As far as the clubs disappearing, some may. However I believe that Model A types will always seek each other out through web sites, clubs or mutual interest. Just my thoughts.
Gerry Birch Bay WA
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 04:34 AM   #11
SAJ

Gerry I got a broken down 28 Phaeton when I was 17. But with no top, I could only take girls out in fine weather. So I sold it for an English Vauxhall Velox.
I knew I would get another Model A, but it had to wait until Kids were gone and I could find some spare money. So I was in my late 60's too before getting my Roadster.
I totally agree with your sentiments.
My wife Diane has her 31 Tudor too, so we both really enjoy the 4 car clubs we belong too.
SAJ in NZ
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:42 AM   #12
Lona

I drove to high school in my '30 coupe but sold it when college came. Always wanted another "A" but life got in the way for 56 years. We bought our roadster 7 yrs ago when I was 74 and looked for a club to join. Now retired, we spend most of our time at our summer home where we keep our cars but the nearest club is about an hour's drive away.......great bunch of guys and gals in that club but just too far. The club near our main residence is a good one but we don't spend enough time there to be meaningfully active.

So, for some of us, there is interest in the clubs that still exist but we are not active for the reasons mentioned.

Glen
'36 Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Lona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:45 AM   #13
dbaldwi3

Citrus countY Florida had a club that disbanded two years ago due to the fact that they couldn’t find any new members which is a shame as I know of several who would like to belong to a local club myself included.
dbaldwi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #14
TerryO

Quote:
As for the Beaver Chapter, most of my friends there have retired, dropped out, or passed away, and when I go to meetings I hardly know anyone, and mostly have nothing to contribute any more. Ergo, why go? The Beaver Chapter itself is still strong and full of good people and when C-19 subsides it will return to being one of the best chapters in MAFCA. But at 75, I think I have just aged out of the hobby.
It sounds like you could be a mentor to the younger/newer folks.

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #15
700rpm

Dbaldwi3 It used to be you only needed six people to form a MAFCA chapter. It may be the same. You could look into it if you have a group.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #16
Bob Bidonde

The Model "A" Ford Club of Long Island, of which I have been a member since 1971, continues to thrive with over 200 memberships, a membership being a family or an individaul. Yet every once in a while there are concerns that there are not enough younger people to keep the club going. However the fact is the club has had approximately the same membership count for decades.

In my opinion, a thriving Model "A" club needs to have a lot of public visibility, a good newsletter, lots of Model "A" activities, technically interesting club meetings and wholesome social interactions among its members. Failure in anyone of these characteristics can bring on the downfall of a club.
Old 08-27-2020, 10:10 AM   #17
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Its the car,not the youth..plenty of car clubs with young active adults exist..the camaraderie and fellowship desire is a human condition.The problem is the car,younger adults have no link to the model a,they understand hondas and volkswagens.There is some youth in the early hotrod /banger segment but they for the most part aren't club types.
The car in stock form does not have the performance needed to lure someone without any experience with it,one reason the modified types are drawing some in..the car will endure as it has,but it will also evolve..notice the biggest investment by vendors today involves increasing performance..
Youth today is not interested in the long term satisfaction of restoring car they cant use as they see fit.Hubley racing and era fashions are so far off the mark of what it takes to lure them its comical..I do my part,an apprentice mechanic just bought a 29 sport coupe project partly from seeing me do mine..he's even leaning toward a 'banger' hot model a build..or a late V8.He never once considered a stock A..
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #18
Jeff/Illinois

I wonder also if, today's traffic might deter some people from Model A Fords?

Living in a farming community away from big city hustle like I do, it is a breeze, generally, to drive the Model A around here. I wouldn't be so thrilled in a city or heavily populated environment. I wouldn't want to take the cars out in that.

It was pretty decent in '74 when the Govt. mandated a 55 MPH speed limit for ALL highways. But that went away. Today speed limits keep edging up.

In Iowa just during the month of July, the State Patrol over there issued over twenty- eight THOUSAND speeding tickets and most of them were 'excessive speed' meaning 20 MPH and up, over the limit. With a 70 miles per hour speed limit these clowns are running 90.

No Country For Old Model A's Or was that Old Men?? Same difference!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #19
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
He never once considered a stock A..
Just curious Jack. Is your car stock? Maybe that is what influenced him to build a Hot Rod?

Didn't they call them "Go Jobs" in 'The good old days'?

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #20
WTSHNN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaldwi3 View Post
Citrus countY Florida had a club that disbanded two years ago due to the fact that they couldn’t find any new members which is a shame as I know of several who would like to belong to a local club myself included.
It only takes five like minded people to start a MARC Region. Give the office a call or reach out to Bill Aupperle, the director of regions.

https://model-a-ford.org/regions/starting-a-region/