Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
AntiqueTouringLady

Default Is it still possible to buy an unbuilt Shay kit?

Hi Model A'ers,

I am trying to learn as much as possible about my Model A's. I have a 30 Phaeton and a 31 Town Sedan that I use in my Detroit-based touring business. Our success depends on my being able to keep the cars running. I have a fantastic mechanic in Burton Michigan (All Automotive) but lately I am hitting speed dial on the daily because I know just enough about Model A mechanics to be dangerous. I think it might be a good educational experience for me and the people who work with me to buy a Shay kit and put it together. However I understand Shay stop making the kits a while back. Is there any place where a person can still buy an unbuilt Shay?

Thanks!

ATLady
AntiqueTouringLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
frank mcdaniels

Default Re: Is it still possible to buy an unbuilt Shay kit?

From what your post states it sounds like you want to learn about your model a by putting together a shay . Your not going to learn much about model As by building a shay as they are completely different. It might be easier to keep a shay going on a daily basis for your business .Theres plenty of them available.
frank mcdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:59 PM   #3
whirnot

A shay may look similar but there is almost nothing the same.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:04 PM   #4
Bob C

I've never heard of a kit only completed cars. The link shows some for sale.
http://davidsclassiccars.com/ford/34...a-replica.html

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:19 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

I would enjoy riding around Detroit in a Model A but a Shay would be of no interest to me. Maybe I am just too old?

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:33 PM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Nothing wrong with building a kit but as mentioned they have nothing to do with the original Model A.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:59 PM   #7
31 Woody

I thought Shays were sold completely assembled?
Old 04-14-2019, 12:16 AM   #8
CarlG

Shay's were never a kit. They were complete cars, based on Pinto engine & running gear, and were sold thru Ford dealers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shay_Motors_Corporation
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:29 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiqueTouringLady View Post
Hi Model A'ers,

I am trying to learn as much as possible about my Model A's. I have a 30 Phaeton and a 31 Town Sedan that I use in my Detroit-based touring business. Our success depends on my being able to keep the cars running. I have a fantastic mechanic in Burton Michigan (All Automotive) but lately I am hitting speed dial on the daily because I know just enough about Model A mechanics to be dangerous. I think it might be a good educational experience for me and the people who work with me to buy a Shay kit and put it together. However I understand Shay stop making the kits a while back. Is there any place where a person can still buy an unbuilt Shay?

Thanks!

ATLady
Allow me to begin by welcoming you to Fordbarn.

Next, let me share with you my opinion. When a Model-A was new, they were capable of many trouble-free miles with only minor maintenance (i.e.: oil changes, lubes, tune-up, brake adjusting, etc). If both of your vehicles have truly been restored where all components have been returned back to original specifications, there is no reason whatsoever for your mechanic to be on speed-dial. Although I have not physically inspected your vehicles, my experience with these vehicles allows me to guess that your vehicles are worn in key areas that are causing you the stress. If you have a clean fuel system that is correctly rebuilt, a restored electrical system that includes a quality wiring harness with good clean connections and a completely (-properly) restored distributor, and a sound engine, then you & your clients should never be left stranded. It has also been my experience that many modern "upgrades" are used as masks to hide/cover other root deficiencies. My suggestion is for you to get with your mechanic and the both of you make a thorough inspection of your vehicles to determine a maintenance or restoration schedule that addresses these areas. For example, if you are having carburetor issues, then check all components including the gas tank for cleanliness, -and properly repair or restore those components to alleviate any future issue.

Additionally, I would like to read about what specific issues you had on each vehicle and how your mechanic corrected the issue(s). My personal recommendations would be to stay away from a Shay as their parts are more obsolete than the original Model-A, and as mentioned above, they are not similar to an original Model-A.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #10
CHuDWah

Quote:
Hi Model A'ers,

Thanks!

ATLady

No, it’s not possible to buy a Shay kit because there is no such thing. They were factory built using a one-piece fiberglass body, custom frame and “Pinto" power-train and suspension, including the 2.3L engine, manual or automatic transmission and IFS. Of all the Model A replicas, it probably most closely resembles the outward appearance of the original, which is not to say you can learn much about a Model A from a Shay (or vice-versa). Speedway Motors did market a kit called the Modern A that was very similar to Shay. It included pretty much everything except the power-train. There still may be one gathering dust in somebody’s barn but finding it would be the challenge.

A Shay may not be the best choice in your situation as most of them are roadsters. If you're hauling clients around, having them clambering in and out of the rumble seat, not to mention riding in it, may not be the easiest, safest or most comfortable. A Glassic might be better - they don't as closely resemble a Model A but most are phaetons and many have a V-8.

More Shay/Glassic info here:

http://www.shayhistory.com/

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/shay...1f5734fddd026b

http://www.glassicannex.org/
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:45 PM   #11
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Allow me to begin by welcoming you to Fordbarn.

Next, let me share with you my opinion. When a Model-A was new, they were capable of many trouble-free miles with only minor maintenance (i.e.: oil changes, lubes, tune-up, brake adjusting, etc). If both of your vehicles have truly been restored where all components have been returned back to original specifications, there is no reason whatsoever for your mechanic to be on speed-dial. Although I have not physically inspected your vehicles, my experience with these vehicles allows me to guess that your vehicles are worn in key areas that are causing you the stress. If you have a clean fuel system that is correctly rebuilt, a restored electrical system that includes a quality wiring harness with good clean connections and a completely (-properly) restored distributor, and a sound engine, then you & your clients should never be left stranded. It has also been my experience that many modern "upgrades" are used as masks to hide/cover other root deficiencies. My suggestion is for you to get with your mechanic and the both of you make a thorough inspection of your vehicles to determine a maintenance or restoration schedule that addresses these areas. For example, if you are having carburetor issues, then check all components including the gas tank for cleanliness, -and properly repair or restore those components to alleviate any future issue.

Additionally, I would like to read about what specific issues you had on each vehicle and how your mechanic corrected the issue(s). My personal recommendations would be to stay away from a Shay as their parts are more obsolete than the original Model-A, and as mentioned above, they are not similar to an original Model-A.

With all due respect, I disagree, especially with the bolded. Mechanical parts are readily available in pretty much any auto store. The 2.3L engine was used for thirty years in various Ford/Mercury cars. Like the Model A, it was improved during the production run and those improvements (including turbochargers) can be retrofitted – kinda like putting a B engine in an A. Body parts may be hard to find, although some are reproduced. But then, Model A sheet metal also can be hard to find. Fiberglass doesn’t rust and short of a wreck, which also would damage steel, about the only problem might be stress cracks (that also occur in steel). Fiberglass is no harder to repair than steel, maybe less so. Finally, some Model A parts will fit a Shay with little or no modification.

I know Shay is the redheaded stepchild in both purist and rodder circles, apparently because neither group considers it a “real” Model A. Thing is, it was never intended to be. It says REPRODUCTION right on the radiator badge. Odd that folks who poo-poo a Shay have no problem with a “tribute" GT350 Mustang, Yenko Camaro, Olds 442, etc. I'm not dissing the Model A but I think the same courtesy should be extended to Shay. Each has its advantages and disadvantages and each should be accepted for what it is.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:54 PM   #12
eagle

A Shay is NOT a Model A, it is a Shay. And a pretty cool car at that. I've seen a few at car shows and they always draw quite a few lookers. Unique cars. About as similar to an A as a New Beetle is to an old Beetle (VW).
Old 04-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #13
daveymc29

I have driven a Shay Roadster and found the experience to be most pleasurable. It had the automatic and the first time I put it in gear the shifter fell apart so that ended the drive. Next visit it had been replaced and we drove around in the country for a half hour. thoroughly enjoyed the effortless drive and soft ride over some rough road. I lead a tour with a Shay accompanying the A's and it never missed a beat in a tour of approximately 600 miles over several days. I would drive one anytime I got the chance just to enjoy the looks you get, just as you do with the A, of which I have owned at least seven over the last several years. For some reason the Shay was easier to get in and out of, even with the top up, than my 1929 Model A roadster, with top up.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:05 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
With all due respect, I disagree, especially with the bolded. Mechanical parts are readily available in pretty much any auto store. The 2.3L engine was used for thirty years in various Ford/Mercury cars. Like the Model A, it was improved during the production run and those improvements (including turbochargers) can be retrofitted – kinda like putting a B engine in an A. Body parts may be hard to find, although some are reproduced. But then, Model A sheet metal also can be hard to find. Fiberglass doesn’t rust and short of a wreck, which also would damage steel, about the only problem might be stress cracks (that also occur in steel). Fiberglass is no harder to repair than steel, maybe less so. Finally, some Model A parts will fit a Shay with little or no modification.

I know Shay is the redheaded stepchild in both purist and rodder circles, apparently because neither group considers it a “real” Model A. Thing is, it was never intended to be. It says REPRODUCTION right on the radiator badge. Odd that folks who poo-poo a Shay have no problem with a “tribute" GT350 Mustang, Yenko Camaro, Olds 442, etc. I'm not dissing the Model A but I think the same courtesy should be extended to Shay. Each has its advantages and disadvantages and each should be accepted for what it is.
I respect your opinion however I am speaking from my own experiences of having two customers who own them. Engine parts are available however there are many other items that are much more easily sourced in Model-A. I have two or three examples that we needed for a customer's car several years ago. I/we needed a wiring harness which is out of production, and a fuel pump had to be specially ordered and took a week for NAPA to get one. The third was a fuel gauge which had to be sourced used. In the case of this lady having Model-As in her business, all 3 of these items would have been one-day shipping from Snyders to Michigan.

If we took some time to think about, I'm sure we could find other Shay items that are Pinto-based which would be much more difficult to source such as rear axle parts, steering column parts, etc., etc. Again, I am not saying obsolete but when downtime is lost money to her business, the time and stress of trying to locate Shay parts makes it less appealing. On the flip side, other than maybe a gas tank, what items are not available for a Model-A?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-15-2019, 04:02 AM   #15
updraught

You could contact these people in the UK to see if they can give you some tips about operating a business.
http://www.vintageadventuretours.co.uk/tours/
http://www.vintageadventuretours.co....-car-tours.pdf
The owner of this business has experience with old cars.

So you are either going to have to get up to speed with the ins and outs of the Model A real quick, or find someone in your area who is an expert in this particular model.
If the car was restored 20 years ago or so, the standard of restoration, knowledge, and parts have way improved since then.

Brent is correct.
Someone with a good eye for Model A detail needs to look it over.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:16 AM   #16
77Birdman

If i were to schedule a trip in a Model A and was given a Shay, to say I would be dissapointed would be mild, borderline on wanting my money refunded. They look alike but thats about it. As someone that looks in the classifieds weekly at Model A's, another thing i have seen is that the average restored A sells for the same price as what most Shays are listed at. Mechanically there may be an advantage (however after reading through the thread i doubt it) but there is no advantage in purchase price. If you are running a business that involves automobiles, especially antiques, you should have a mechanic on staff, not speed dial.
Good luck it does sound like an interesting venture.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:19 AM   #17
34Pietenpol

Quote:
Hi Model A'ers,

Thanks!

ATLady

If I caught your intent correctly about making the Model A a mechanical learning experience. you have my full endorsement! Getting grease under your fingernails is the best way to understand the cars which bring in your daily bread. The Shay is, as pointed out, a different animal so it becomes unsuitable as a learning platform. May I suggest a more reasoned path to Model A Maintenance Familiarization?

Search the Swap Forum here, wander local antique car swap meets, follow craigslist.org and even eBay.com - look for a good rolling chassis with engine, trans, rear end intact. For a Grand or so you can acquire a rolling classroom for you and your staff. Don't worry about the body, fenders, running boards - what you say you're in need of is a better understanding of the mechanicals which wear out over time. A rolling chassis will give you all you need to start with.

Once you find this treasure, where do you start? If I were you and ran Model A's commercially, I would begin with the mechanical brakes and the steering components. Both are simple in concept but require a magic touch to set up and maintain in top form. Spend the $100 to buy the three part Model A Maintenance and Overhaul Manuals and dig in. Take lots of photos taking things apart so you won't have parts left over after your rebuild. Refer to the manuals religiously. Set up a training time with your staff or volunteers. Brief the plan for that day, follow the plan, talk over what happened - you can accidentally make this a great communications training event as well. You could even invite the local Model A regional group over to get you headed in the right direction.

You can go several ways - repair and restore each system as you learn about it, take the whole thing apart and learn as you clean up and rebuild everything, or simply learn to adjust and inspect the mechanical systems on the old chassis you bought. You can learn a lot even by taking this easier route: where all the grease fittings are and why it is so important that you keep each part greased; where all the many brake adjustment points are and why you really need to stay on top of the many rods, clevises, rollers and forks which work in harmony to stop the beast. I'll bet your customers and insurance agent would really appreciate that one.

Any way you decide, you'll soon learn what most Model A owners know: There is a real satisfaction in working on and preserving these fundamentally simple and very robust Icons of Early Americana. You may want to invest in lots of Goop. I use those Costco Nytril gloves if the going gets really dark or I'm shortly off to hold the grandkids. Cheap way to keep hands cleaner.

And finally - if you go this route, please post photos on the Model A Forum of your gang with your rolling classroom so we all can enjoy your fun.
34Pietenpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Birdman View Post
If i were to schedule a trip in a Model A and was given a Shay, to say I would be dissapointed would be mild, borderline on wanting my money refunded. They look alike but thats about it. As someone that looks in the classifieds weekly at Model A's, another thing i have seen is that the average restored A sells for the same price as what most Shays are listed at. Mechanically there may be an advantage (however after reading through the thread i doubt it) but there is no advantage in purchase price. If you are running a business that involves automobiles, especially antiques, you should have a mechanic on staff, not speed dial.
Good luck it does sound like an interesting venture.

You know, I had never thought about that but an interesting perspective on your thought is that at Greenfield Village, they have the Model-T rides where park guests are given rides throughout the park in a Model-T. Ironically out of the 10 - 12 Model-Ts in their fleet, the majority are the replica 1914 Tourings that Ford built in 2008 for their centennial. Now they are used in the park Everything except the engine pans (engine block, frames, body, sheetmetal, axles, etc) is reproduction on those. I wonder how many complain about those cars being replicas and not an original vehicle??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #19
CHuDWah

Quote:
I respect your opinion however I am speaking from my own experiences of having two customers who own them. Engine parts are available however there are many other items that are much more easily sourced in Model-A. I have two or three examples that we needed for a customer's car several years ago. I/we needed a wiring harness which is out of production, and a fuel pump had to be specially ordered and took a week for NAPA to get one. The third was a fuel gauge which had to be sourced used. In the case of this lady having Model-As in her business, all 3 of these items would have been one-day shipping from Snyders to Michigan.

If we took some time to think about, I'm sure we could find other Shay items that are Pinto-based which would be much more difficult to source such as rear axle parts, steering column parts, etc., etc. Again, I am not saying obsolete but when downtime is lost money to her business, the time and stress of trying to locate Shay parts makes it less appealing. On the flip side, other than maybe a gas tank, what items are not available for a Model-A?

Fair 'nuff. It didn't occur to me at the time but I posted from a hobbyist viewpoint. No, one can't just call up Snyder's and order Shay parts. Those, or Model A parts for that matter, may have to be searched for, sourced used, haggled over, restored and/or modified, even made from scratch. That's part of the fun of the hobby. But as you say, time is money in business. An owner can't afford the car downtime that a hobbyist can.

But I maintain a Shay is no less desirable than a Model A simply because it's not a Model A. The choice should be determined by one's wants and needs, be they hobby or business.
Old 04-15-2019, 02:11 PM   #20
CHuDWah

Quote:
You know, I had never thought about that but an interesting perspective on your thought is that at Greenfield Village, they have the Model-T rides where park guests are given rides throughout the park in a Model-T. Ironically out of the 10 - 12 Model-Ts in their fleet, the majority are the replica 1914 Tourings that Ford built in 2008 for their centennial. Now they are used in the park Everything except the engine pans (engine block, frames, body, sheetmetal, axles, etc) is reproduction on those. I wonder how many complain about those cars being replicas and not an original vehicle??

Good point. If a ride in a Shay was misrepresented as one in a Model A, or vice-versa, one might have cause to complain. Folks on this forum know the difference between a 2008 Model T and a 1914 one, or a Shay and a Model A. For them, the car may be the experience. But I doubt most riders care even if they can tell the difference. The ride is the experience more so than the car. Disney patrons don't seem to mind they're going through a replica haunted mansion, pirate lair, etc.