Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #1
sinbad339

Default Sport Coupe Rear Window won't stay up

I have a '30 Sport Coupe, and have a list of things to do during our northern Ohio winter. One issue I'd like to fix has to do with the rear window. When I "secure" the window flap up (during hot weather or with someone in the rumble seat), it won't stay up as I drive over normal road bumps. With the weight of the glass, it is soon falling down on my head.

The car seems to have the correct fasteners; three "Stud Fastener Eyelets" in the flap and three male studs that are fastened into strap fabric in the roof. These are the studs that the pin is depressed to retract a hook. See the pics below. I also checked and the hooks in the male studs are all facing forwards, which seems to be the best considering the way the flap hangs.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg female_stud.jpg (5.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg male_stud.jpg (5.9 KB, 21 views)
sinbad339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 11:55 PM   #2
midgetracer

Default Re: Sport Coupe Rear Window won't stay up

I have a couple of roadsters with the same type window studs.. No problem even on our rough roads. Maybe it is a special setup to cut off long winded rumble seat riders. That wasn't much help was it.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:09 AM   #3
WHN

Have had Sport Coupes for 60 years, never had the problem, but I can understand having it.

We changed to plexiglas when we had a new top put on our 1929. There is a real difference in the weight.

I would think that the retaining spring inside your three fasteners used to hold up the top are worn. They are not hard to replace. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #4
springerpete

It may not be the same car and window, but my '29 roadster stays secure in the up position. It is glass with a metal frame. But, all the fastenings are new and hold very well. I got them from Restoration Supply Co. They come in different lengths and I got the long ones.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:41 PM   #5
CHuDWah

When we had a 30 Sporty, we put a new L-B top on it. It had three straps that went from the middle bow to the rear one and held the fasteners - I assume you have those. The fasteners were new and the same as your pix. The car had a glass window with a metal frame and we never had a problem with it. I'd agree that your fasteners probably are worn and need replacement.
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
sinbad339

Thanks all for the replies. To replace the studs, I think some (most?) of the top has to come apart to get the straps into the anvil tool to secure new studs. I'll take a look to see if the springs ad/or hooks can be replaced.

And midgetracer, I think humor is almost always helpful.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:33 PM   #7
jax55

Not trying to hijack this post, but if Chudwah or anyone has suggestions, hints or pointers for putting a new L-B top on a 31 Sport Coupe.. I would be most appreciative.
I am bringing this back from a chop top to what it was meant to be, and have never done a Model A top.
jax55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #8
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad339 View Post
Thanks all for the replies. To replace the studs, I think some (most?) of the top has to come apart to get the straps into the anvil tool to secure new studs. I'll take a look to see if the springs ad/or hooks can be replaced.

And midgetracer, I think humor is almost always helpful.
I don’t think you have to replace the studs, just the hardware on the window. That’s were the spring clips are. I would try this first. Enjoy.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #9
sinbad339

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
I don’t think you have to replace the studs, just the hardware on the window. That’s were the spring clips are. I would try this first. Enjoy.
You may be thinking of the "lift-a-dot" fasteners. On these, the part on the window is a simple grommet type ring; no spring or anything. The stud part has a spring and a hook that retracts when the end of the stud is pressed.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #10
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad339 View Post
You may be thinking of the "lift-a-dot" fasteners. On these, the part on the window is a simple grommet type ring; no spring or anything. The stud part has a spring and a hook that retracts when the end of the stud is pressed.
Sorry, I thought you were using Side Curtain Fasteners, “life the dot”, A-37513.

That’s what was used on our rear window when we had the new top installed. Very easy to replace. Enjoy.