Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-26-2016, 09:48 AM   #1
PetefromTexas

Default New guy

Hey guys. I'm new to the Ford Barn. I've been a member over on the HAMB as The235kid since about 06 or so. I should have joined this forum years ago. I recently acquired a 31 Model A coupe. The body was sold and I'm restoring the chassis for an early 30's style Gow Job. I'm looking forward to being a part of this site and learning from you guys about restoring my 31 chassis and motor.

Last edited by PetefromTexas; 11-26-2016 at 05:40 PM.
PetefromTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
PetefromTexas

Default Re: New guy

Here is the car right now. I'll be doing a TnA style build. 23-25 T roadster body on a modified A chassis. Model A or Model B motor, basically stock chassis, mechanical brakes, model a trans and rear ect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (85.2 KB, 151 views)
Old 11-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #3
1930-fordor

Welcome aboard,
Looks like you have a great project started.
I only wish I had that paint both and big shop.
Keep us posted on progress.
1930-fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #4
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Welcome aboard and please keep us posted. For parts and help specific location is a benefit. Pictures are always great. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #5
PetefromTexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930-fordor View Post
Welcome aboard,
Looks like you have a great project started.
I only wish I had that paint both and big shop.
Keep us posted on progress.
Thanks! inwish I had one too. The car is at work right now. I build my personal stuff I my 2 car garage at home.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetefromTexas View Post
Thanks! inwish I had one too. The car is at work right now. I build my personal stuff I my 2 car garage at home.
Better smaller shop than not at all! Many would love a two car garage to work in. Wayne
Old 11-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
Logan

Pete nice to have you on this forum. We follow eachother on Instagram, I'm looking forward to seeing the build progress.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #8
foxfire42

For the uninformed like me, what is a "Gow job"?
foxfire42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:21 PM   #9
Art Newland

I wondered too, I'd heard "hopped up" but not "gowed". Found this;
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...gow-job.34415/
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:33 PM   #10
Logan

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire42 View Post
Pretty much an unfinished hot rod. From what I understand from his post on this site and others, he's going to build up a model a chassis, with some speed parts, and put a model T roadster body on the chassis. But the body won't be painted up nicely, and the frame won't be a show quality frame either. Just a running driving pile of parts pretty much. But not done up untastefully. Just a car to have fun in and make some noise with.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #11
700rpm

Rat rod. Is this still a restoration forum?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #12
PetefromTexas

Gow Job is what they called hot rods before the term hot rod was coined. I'm going for something like this. Restored Model A frame pinched slightly for the T body, mostly stock running gear short of a few minor modifications.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (103.5 KB, 79 views)
Old 11-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #13
PetefromTexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Rat rod. Is this still a restoration forum?
I wouldn't call it a rat rod by any stretch of the imagination. It's an early period correct hot rod. It will be finished to the highest quality both frame, engine, body and interior. Sorry if this doesn't meet the standards of the board. I'm mainly here to get info on the chassis and motor restoration for this build as they will be mostly stock. It's hard to find that info on hot rod forums.
Old 11-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #14
PetefromTexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Pete nice to have you on this forum. We follow eachother on Instagram, I'm looking forward to seeing the build progress.
Thanks Logan!
Old 11-26-2016, 03:33 PM   #15
Logan

Pete please post project pictures while building the car. Some wont like it, while others will. Theres a few very knowledgeable members on this site that have cars similar to what you want to build. There is lots of knowledge here to help you with any model a questions you may have. Some will ridicule the car, but others just like it when stuff is being built, and creative juices are flowing. This is a "restoration" site, but cool projects are allowed. I dont view your car any different than a speedster project or some of the custom stuff that has been posted here before. I look forward to viewing the projects progression.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire42 View Post
I never heard the term until about a year ago when someone mentioned it on Fordbarn. I've only known cars as stock, modified, or hot rods. I never could understand how the term "GOW" came about.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:00 PM   #17
40 Deluxe

I believe the original term was "go job". How it became "gow" I don't know. As mentioned, the term predates the term "hot rod" and reflects what the average kid could afford to build in the '30's and '40's. Why belittle them by comparing their cars to modern day "rat rods"? Back then they did the best they could with what they had, which often was not much. Nowadays, the "rat rod" crowd spends a lot of money to make their cars deliberately look like junk. Big difference!
I don't understand why the lawnchair/weeping doll guys get all huffy about a re-creation of what a depression era teenager was able to accomplish!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:04 PM   #18
PetefromTexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Pete please post project pictures while building the car. Some wont like it, while others will. Theres a few very knowledgeable members on this site that have cars similar to what you want to build. There is lots of knowledge here to help you with any model a questions you may have. Some will ridicule the car, but others just like it when stuff is being built, and creative juices are flowing. This is a "restoration" site, but cool projects are allowed. I dont view your car any different than a speedster project or some of the custom stuff that has been posted here before. I look forward to viewing the projects progression.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
I believe the original term was "go job". How it became "gow" I don't know. As mentioned, the term predates the term "hot rod" and reflects what the average kid could afford to build in the '30's and '40's. Why belittle them by comparing their cars to modern day "rat rods"? Back then they did the best they could with what they had, which often was not much. Nowadays, the "rat rod" crowd spends a lot of money to make their cars deliberately look like junk. Big difference!
I don't understand why the lawnchair/weeping doll guys get all huffy about a re-creation of what a depression era teenager was able to accomplish!

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't think I would get this kind of response but it's ok I guess. I'm just a guy who is in to Model T's and A's stock or modified looking for info on restoring his am chassis correctly.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #19
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetefromTexas View Post
Gow Job is what they called hot rods before the term hot rod was coined. I'm going for something like this. Restored Model A frame pinched slightly for the T body, mostly stock running gear short of a few minor modifications.
You just turned off a lot of guys on this restoration site including me. Our objective is to restore and that does not seem to be in your agenda. I see someone gave you one star previously and as man to man I am about to give you another. Wayne
Old 11-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #20
PetefromTexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
Just saying...

I totally get that and respect what you guys have here. I'm not posting a hot rod build thread or trying to make this forum something it's not. I'm interested in information not readily available on the hot rod forums on restoring a Model A chassis and motor. I'm restoring this chassis using a stock motor. Minus the mention of the future body that's planned for this build I believe I'm well within the rules of the forum.

I really didn't expect this from fellow automotive enthusiasts.