Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2015, 03:00 PM   #121
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Fellas... I've had enough...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Campbell View Post
I use my real name and address here. I want people to know I am real and can be contacted. In some less desirable forums perhaps hidden identity is wise. But here we are just a bunch a buddies who for the most part, haven't met yet. Think of Brent, marco, bill. Jim brierly, Tom w, Don Turley just to name a few. Stand up guys. Let's all be. None of us want your credit card number....

Curt Campbell, ottumwa IA

Just use your name.
But, Curt,
If we all met everybody in a HUG SESSION, we wouldn't ALL like EVERYBODY! That's just LIFE, get USED to it. We wouldn't ALL like EVERONES' CARS, just because they were MODEL A's (ONLY IN A PERFECT WORLD!)
Bill W.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #122
CWPASADENA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Get a grip guys! This is dry technical stuff, not hot and cold romance! I can't imagine someone getting that passionate over axle threads, water pumps, and steering gears, maybe oil or STP.
Terry
Terry,

I totally agree with your comments about axle threads and steering gears however, water pumps and certainly STP can be very passionate subjects

Again, JUST MY OBSERVATIONS!!!!

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #123
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
But, Curt,
That's just LIFE, get USED to it.
Bill W.
I've yet Bill to read a comment about growing some thick skin which is what I suggest, feelings won't get hurt so easy, in turn, less bitchin to Ryan!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:15 PM   #124
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

If the site is only about perfectly restored vehicles then I will never be able to say a word. With 5 Model A's, 5 T's and numerous V-8's that will never be perfect because of lack of knowledge, ability and funds for perfection then so be it. I DO enjoy learning about all the quirks and differences in the cars. Sometimes things get a little rough for various reasons I let it slide. The Barn has been great and I have told many about the site and hope they have enjoyed it also. Philip Ewald
pj's junkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #125
Fred K-OR

Thanks Ryan for your site. It is a great site for information about all types of Model A's. It is YOUR site-run it the way YOU want to run it!
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:40 PM   #126
Brent

Here's a little story that really helps me keep my online persona in check.

A few years ago, on the HAMB, there was a member who had passed away and his daughter went online searching for him. She was pleasantly surprised to see he had this whole life filled with car/hobbyist buddies she hadn't realized. She saw his posts and conversations and it was very fulfilling to a woman who'd lost her dad.

I think about that, often. Someday my children could be looking me up, after I pass, and see what type of man I was online. What would they think if their dad was pretentious or a troll or bitter, jealous, unhelpful, ungrateful, etc.?

So, I would like to think I share a decent representation of who I am outside of the Internet. Should they ever look me up after my demise, I want them to have a good reminder of the man I was (am).
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #127
BudP

Nice story, Brent. It puts into perspective the relevance of our daily concerns to our long-term value. Thanks for sharing.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:54 PM   #128
ian Simpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Are we through? I DESPERATELY need to go P** & go to BED--LOL
Bill W.
Bill, use Depends, they work.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:00 AM   #129
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj's junkers View Post
If the site is only about perfectly restored vehicles then I will never be able to say a word. With 5 Model A's, 5 T's and numerous V-8's that will never be perfect because of lack of knowledge, ability and funds for perfection then so be it. I DO enjoy learning about all the quirks and differences in the cars. Sometimes things get a little rough for various reasons I let it slide. The Barn has been great and I have told many about the site and hope they have enjoyed it also. Philip Ewald

I believe you have an incorrect assumption, If the site is only about perfectly restored vehicles then I will never be able to say a word.

You don't have to have a perfectly restored car to contribute to the forum even if it were 100% dedicated to fine point cars. What does a fine point car have to do with engine troubles, what to fix it my car has a shimmy or hard steering? Do you have to have a fine point car to answer questions like; "What do they mean when they say indented fire wall?"

Remember the only stupid question is one not asked.

As for the original start to all this, Ryan this is your site to do with as you please and run it as you will. I would be lying if I did not say I have seen mixed messages from you but that is my problem not yours.

My only hope is that you truly see what this site means to the Model A community, as your HAMB site is to the traditional hot rodders. I been to enough sites to see Fordbarn and HAMB mentioned as places to go to get more information and that would never happen if it were not a source of knowledge.

I support you not only in words but I also purchased both of the Jalopy Journals to help with some of the expenses.

Mike
Old 08-28-2015, 07:25 AM   #130
Terry, NJ

How do we say "I think you are wrong about this or that!" and not open ourselves to a charge of "Bullying"? As my old Irish grandfather would say "You have to be able to tell a man to go to hell and have him looking forward to the trip!" However, Not everyone is that verbally skilled and sometimes it comes out more like "You Fornicating imbecile, You can't do that!" Sometimes, we are really showing our "Humanity" and really tell him what a lowlife, not only he is, but his ancestors as well! Then five minutes later (after we hit the send button) we see the light and wished we hadn't of sent it. Maybe it was a tad too harsh. His ancestors really weren't that bad. But it's usually too late!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:41 AM   #131
wbedwards

I've been quiet since I have not been involved, but there is a good point made two posts earlier. Not all here have the money or the desire to faithfully restore an old car. But to fix up old iron and keep it on the road is to me a good goal. I bought a car that has sat for years with an incomplete restoration and a good bit mechanically wrong. Now I'm driving my old car weekly and while it is not a completely faithful restoration, it is a blast to drive and it gets noticed everywhere I go.
wbedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #132
Skibb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedwards View Post
I've been quiet since I have not been involved, but there is a good point made two posts earlier. Not all here have the money or the desire to faithfully restore an old car. But to fix up old iron and keep it on the road is to me a good goal. I bought a car that has sat for years with an incomplete restoration and a good bit mechanically wrong. Now I'm driving my old car weekly and while it is not a completely faithful restoration, it is a blast to drive and it gets noticed everywhere I go.
Me too Wbedwards...

And, this Forum is fantastic for this all thumbs kid that just loves Model As. Brent's superb post explains a lot.

Thanks a million Ryan for saving and enhancing the Ford Barn. It's a life savior for us newbies and so much fun (the negative chaps have missed me).
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #133
SDJason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibb View Post
...Thanks a million Ryan for saving and enhancing the Ford Barn. It's a life savior for us newbies and so much fun...
Yep - couldn't have said it better myself - I knew zilch...nada...nothing...about the care and feeding of Model As when I got mine almost four years ago now, this forum has been an invaluable resource that I much appreciate
SDJason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #134
Dave O'Neill

Brent's story brings everything into perspective, about whay our hobby is all about and how we should approach our fellow hobbyists.

Even though I am in the Model A industry these days, twenty years ago when I got my first model A, I knew absolutely nothing about them.

At that time, I bought every book available to learn about the model A, and only wish that there was a fabulous forum like this one, back then.

Unfortunately, in other areas of business, I have seen people beaten up on forums, which is why I tend to stay in the background. I only made my first post on here a few days ago, but Ryan's issues have brought to light once again, weather to even tempt faith and try to help someone.

enough of my babbling. Keep up this great forum Ryan!
Old 08-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #135
Gerard

Ryan,

You are so right . That's the reason I hardly visit anymore let alone responding to questions,

Gerard
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #136
JD Miller

I agree with Ryan.

The suggestion of a user's name and address is right on.

Thanks Ryan for trying to clean the place up.

JD
JD Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #137
John Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Miller View Post
I agree with Ryan.

The suggestion of a user's name and address is right on.

Thanks Ryan for trying to clean the place up.

JD
I agree with this 100%. Thanks Ryan!!!
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #138
31 Model A

For the low price of just $29.95 we can tell you everything there is to know about anyone, birth records, financial records, IRS returns, criminal record, you name the person and place and you'll get anything you want for the low price of $29.95!!!!!

Sorry, but my privacy is worth more than $29.95. Certain people that I have grown to know here on the Ford Barn have my name and location and that's how I put it out..........................not for every Tom, Dick and Harry to know. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 08-28-2015, 05:25 PM   #139
Terry, NJ

Two things! I think you can get someone's life story for less than thirty bucks! And, like you, I prefer to be able to withhold some info about my self. And as a object lesson, Id like to tell a little tale about monkeying around with someone's privacy! Some years ago, I was delving into politics and we were faced with a tough opposition candidate. He was young, bright, good looking and successful. So someone (A retired cop) got the bright idea to buy a online search for him. He had a fairly unusual last name which made it easy. He found a person of the same name had done time in North Carolina for marijuana possession. He on his own, thinking he was doing the right thing, exposed this "fact" all over town. Needless to say, it got back to the candidate and our guy was soon facing a lawsuit. Coincidentally, some else with the exact same name had done this. The person in town was different. They were able to get the credit card number of our guy who ordered the search (on his own) and they hoisted him on his own petard as it were. It was a very ugly situation! I was not involved and could be an onlooker, estatic that I had no role in this Cluster _ _ _ _! But I have always remembered what someone tried to do and it backfired, big time! I have often thought how would I like being that innocent person being dumped on for something I didn't do, just because their name was the same as mine! I say, Leave privacy matters alone. They can come back to bite you.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
For the low price of just $29.95 we can tell you everything there is to know about anyone, birth records, financial records, IRS returns, criminal record, you name the person and place and you'll get anything you want for the low price of $29.95!!!!!

Sorry, but my privacy is worth more than $29.95. Certain people that I have grown to know here on the Ford Barn have my name and location and that's how I put it out..........................not for every Tom, Dick and Harry to know. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:39 PM   #140
31 Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
Two things! I think you can get someone's life story for less than thirty bucks! And, like you, I prefer to be able to withhold some info about my self. And as a object lesson, Id like to tell a little tale about monkeying around with someone's privacy! Some years ago, I was delving into politics and we were faced with a tough opposition candidate. He was young, bright, good looking and successful. So someone (A retired cop) got the bright idea to buy a online search for him. He had a fairly unusual last name which made it easy. He found a person of the same name had done time in North Carolina for marijuana possession. He on his own, thinking he was doing the right thing, exposed this "fact" all over town. Needless to say, it got back to the candidate and our guy was soon facing a lawsuit. Coincidentally, some else with the exact same name had done this. The person in town was different. They were able to get the credit card number of our guy who ordered the search (on his own) and they hoisted him on his own petard as it were. It was a very ugly situation! I was not involved and could be an onlooker, estatic that I had no role in this Cluster _ _ _ _! But I have always remembered what someone tried to do and it backfired, big time! I have often thought how would I like being that innocent person being dumped on for something I didn't do, just because their name was the same as mine! I say, Leave privacy matters alone. They can come back to bite you.
Terry

Exactly....

Today, things are nothing but a "reality show", doesn't matter what the truth is, people like to start crap just for the hell of it, then they just sit back and watch, laughing while sparks fly. In today's society it's more and more important to guard one's privacy no matter how law abiding and innocent anyone can be, there is always someone out there to do harm in one way or another.
If I need help on Sarah, I have two email addresses of two Barners I can go for help, if leaving the Barn preserves my privacy. I'll get a few more too before I sign off for the last time...........