Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2022, 04:20 PM   #1
Russell Reay

Default Header panel vs. windshield frame

The difficulties experienced by Brace Bailey in this thread https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...d+frame+gasket are very close to the problems I am suffering now. I have a new hardwood header, header panel cover, and aluminum windshield frame from Snyder's, all to fit 1930 CCPU/ tudor. After learning that the panel for a coupe did not fit, I got the one for a tudor, and the fit is much better. I have two concerns--One, as shown in pic 0977, the new hinge only reaches to the center of the 10 pre-drilled holes in the panel. The original steel hinge was 1/4" wider and the holes in the two parts line up correctly. Snyder's says that this is the correct hinge. Second, when the panel is screwed through the angle iron shelf above the ws opening to the wood header using the 5 pre-drilled countersunk holes, the panel projects ~1/4-3/8" too far forward so that the ws frame does not lay against the A pillar-see photo 0985. If the panel and hinge are clamped to the ws opening so that only the hinge lip projects forward of the pillar, the 5 countersunk holes center on the edge of the shelf, and the gap to accommodate an interior header cover is ~ 1/2" wide -see photo 0992. What am I missing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0977 - Copy.JPG (78.2 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0992 - Copy.jpg (37.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0985 - Copy.jpg (30.6 KB, 37 views)
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:30 PM   #2
Tinbasher

Default Re: Header panel vs. windshield frame

Hi Russel, it looks like the new header steel parts is too wide or has to be moved back? Do you have the original part or pieces of it that you can get some measurements from? Theheader should be sitting flush to the "A" pillars. J. Poole
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 04:43 PM   #3
Russell Reay

Default Re: Header panel vs. windshield frame

John- the original panel cover gives me the correct height (3 1/8") and width, but everything aft of the ws hinge is rusted away. The portion of the new panel with 10 holes is 1" wide (2.54 cm to you north-of-the-border guys), the original steel hinge is 7/8" wide, and the new hinge is 5/8" wide. If the new panel were narrowed to accommodate the new alum. hinge, everything would fit nicely. I can't believe I am the first one to face this challenge, so I am inclined to believe this to be operator error, not wrong parts or defects.
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote