Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2022, 03:58 PM   #41
Chris Haynes

Default Re: Batt. Supercharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
People have been suckers for "fuel saving" gadgets for about as long as cars have existed. The list is endless, but a couple that stick out in my mind are the mythical 100 MPG carburetor and the more recent "HHO" hydrogen producing gadgets that scammers promote.
I like the one where you drop a tablet into your gas tank then fill it with water and drive away.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:15 PM   #42
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by woofa.express View Post

Morning Jack Shaft.

You have confused me. So it does work or doesn't it work??
Yummm, Mr. Shaft was BANNED a while back.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 06:04 PM   #43
nkaminar

I have no idea if a hydrogen generator improves mileage but the principle is that the hydrogen gas improves combustion. I think that is generally true because hydrogen is very combustible and will burn with a wide range of air/fuel ratios. It is correct that the energy it takes to generate the hydrogen is not recovered when it is burned. But I don't think that is the point. The fact that the car manufacturers do not put this on their cars speaks for itself.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 08:53 AM   #44
Bob-A

Thumbs up Re: Batt. Supercharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
I like the one where you drop a tablet into your gas tank then fill it with water and drive away.

I remember a TV show back in the late 50's/early 60's called "Strange But True". At least I think that was what it was called. Anyway, it was a supposedly true story about a guy. Who convinced a high US government official (Supreme Court Justice ?). To drain the gas out of his car, add ordinary tap water and then place a mysterious tablet in the gas tank. The car started and ran and the official drove it to work. Before he left the unknown man said he would be back later to tell how he invented the tablet. He never came back. This supposedly happened in the early 20's.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:11 AM   #45
jimTN

Hydrogen is highly explosive, corrosive and I believe also creates acid conditions when made.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:13 AM   #46
alexiskai

Here's the history of the water-tablet scam:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-A View Post
I remember a TV show back in the late 50's/early 60's called "Strange But True". At least I think that was what it was called. Anyway, it was a supposedly true story about a guy. Who convinced a high US government official (Supreme Court Justice ?). To drain the gas out of his car, add ordinary tap water and then place a mysterious tablet in the gas tank. The car started and ran and the official drove it to work. Before he left the unknown man said he would be back later to tell how he invented the tablet. He never came back. This supposedly happened in the early 20's
Bob, I think this is the show you're thinking of:
Quote:
A season three episode of the 1950s American television show, Alcoa Presents: One Step Beyond, "Where Are They?", which originally aired 13 December 1960, presented a story about a man calling himself Charles Elton. Elton allegedly demonstrated to government representatives in 1917 a pill that costs 2 cents that can turn 10 gallons of water into a fuel that can power an auto engine. After his successful exhibition, Elton vanishes.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 01:28 PM   #47
J Franklin

Time traveler Charles Elton.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 01:29 PM   #48
daren007

If all this stuff worked it would have already have installed by the auto manufacturer. It works like this. The one with the best gas mileage wins all the marbles.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 05:17 PM   #49
Hitman

Why not applaud them for taking the time, cost and effort to reproduce a verified period accessory? We complain about poor quality, things not being produced, or too expensive. If suppliers read this forum for input, they wouldn't want to produce anything!

Let's give Mike's recognition for reproducing one more item that fit our cars!
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:54 PM   #50
Thearne3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Why not applaud them for taking the time, cost and effort to reproduce a verified period accessory? We complain about poor quality, things not being produced, or too expensive. If suppliers read this forum for input, they wouldn't want to produce anything!

Let's give Mike's recognition for reproducing one more item that fit our cars!
I agree. For all the nay saying, I can't find any example (in this thread or elsewhere) of someone having a complete original Batt. Supercharger that can confirm or deny its efficacy. Having spoken to the folks at Mike's, they DO have an original, which (they claim) does improve the performance on their stock A.

They plan to test the new ones and attempt to quantify the improvements. Once the results are in, I'll be taking a closer look.
Thearne3 is offline   Reply With Quote