Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-09-2021, 01:04 PM   #1
vern hodgson

Default Upholstery trims

So it appears the trim pieces are all installed prior to installing the panels onto the door? Are the tangs pushed thru then bent over or do they need a backing plate. I am a little confused on the installation
vern hodgson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:03 PM   #2
JayJay

Default Re: Upholstery trims

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern hodgson View Post
So it appears the trim pieces are all installed prior to installing the panels onto the door? Are the tangs pushed thru then bent over or do they need a backing plate. I am a little confused on the installation
Vern - A bit slim because you don't say what kind of car you have. But for the 1930 Fordor/Town Sedan, the escutcheon for the door openers has a backing plate, and you fold the tabs on the escutcheon over the backing plate once you push the through the panel. Install before you mount the door panel onto the door.

The escutcheon for the window crank does not have a backing plate, you install the door panel, then push the escutcheon over the window crank shaft and install it behind the window crank. The tabs on that one are short and just dig into the fabric. Don't forget the spring between the door panel and the door at the window crank.

Check the parts supplier catalogues, they will give you some guidance.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:27 PM   #3
vern hodgson

Ok, I have a 29 coupe, now I have an idea of what I need to buy, have never seen springs behind door panels, but I see them in the catalogs. Guess I best make sure all my holes are correctly punched. Thanks
Old 02-09-2021, 10:53 PM   #4
vern hodgson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Vern - A bit slim because you don't say what kind of car you have. But for the 1930 Fordor/Town Sedan, the escutcheon for the door openers has a backing plate, and you fold the tabs on the escutcheon over the backing plate once you push the through the panel. Install before you mount the door panel onto the door.

The escutcheon for the window crank does not have a backing plate, you install the door panel, then push the escutcheon over the window crank shaft and install it behind the window crank. The tabs on that one are short and just dig into the fabric. Don't forget the spring between the door panel and the door at the window crank.

Check the parts supplier catalogues, they will give you some guidance.

JayJay
so the spring goes between the door and the panel, and the Handle and lock escutcheon grabs only the fabric, not the door panel. What’s the trick for bending the tabs on the escutcheon which must apparently be installed after the panel is mounted?
Old 02-10-2021, 08:41 AM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Position the escutcheon where it is supposed to be; then mark where the 2-4 tabs are on the upholstery panel; then with an exacto knife cut small slits where the marks are; then push the escutcheon into the fabric and cardboard panel; turn the panel over and push down on the escutcheon to get a good fit; fit the metal "Oval" shaped backing plate over the tabs and bend the tabs over the backing plate. This is done before the panel is put on the door.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:07 AM   #6
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
Position the escutcheon where it is supposed to be; then mark where the 2-4 tabs are on the upholstery panel; then with an exacto knife cut small slits where the marks are; then push the escutcheon into the fabric and cardboard panel; turn the panel over and push down on the escutcheon to get a good fit; fit the metal "Oval" shaped backing plate over the tabs and bend the tabs over the backing plate. This is done before the panel is put on the door.

Pluck
Steve - unless I misread, I think he's talking about the escutcheon for the window crank. I don't think those tabs go through the panel and onto a backing plate like the door latch handle, I think they just penetrate into the fabric. Your instructions would be for the door latch escutcheon, right?

Vern, if I'm correct, I would just make sure that the escutcheon for the window crank is centered over the shaft where you want it, then put everything together. Over time the pressure from the spring behind the door panel will push the door panel into the escutcheon and the tabs will penetrate the fabric and door panel by themselves. And no spring behind the door latch handle escutcheon, only behind the window crank. (Small end of the spring goes against the door, large end goes against the door panel). Sorry I don't have pics for you, I put my door panels on a couple of weeks ago and didn't get pics of the backs of them.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 02-10-2021, 11:09 AM   #7
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
Steve - unless I misread, I think he's talking about the escutcheon for the window crank. I don't think those tabs go through the panel and onto a backing plate like the door latch handle, I think they just penetrate into the fabric. Your instructions would be for the door latch escutcheon, right?

Vern, if I'm correct, I would just make sure that the escutcheon for the window crank is centered over the shaft where you want it, then put everything together. Over time the pressure from the spring behind the door panel will push the door panel into the escutcheon and the tabs will penetrate the fabric and door panel by themselves. And no spring behind the door latch handle escutcheon, only behind the window crank. (Small end of the spring goes against the door, large end goes against the door panel). Sorry I don't have pics for you, I put my door panels on a couple of weeks ago and didn't get pics of the backs of them.

JayJay
Correct JayJay...Thanks...maybe I read into it to much!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:16 PM   #8
vern hodgson

Ok mr. Pluck, thanks for the input on the door handle escutcheon. I have one original which has resided in my small parts box for almost (I cannot believe that long) fifty years. I could see fabric remnants between the two pieces but no cardboard. Hence the confusion although it did not seem to make sense not to penetrate the board. As regards the window crank, I would have put the spring the other way as it seems to fit the escutcheon so nicely even though it is large for the hole in the board. The next challenge is the clips, any tips as to installing them. The previous panels used a type of ring shank nail with a keeper installed thru pre punched holes. I am using the clip on style, I need to transfer hole locations from the door to the board, then apparently notch the fabric at the clip locations. One must need grow an extra set of hands or something.f
Old 02-10-2021, 03:04 PM   #9
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern hodgson View Post
Ok mr. Pluck, thanks for the input on the door handle escutcheon. I have one original which has resided in my small parts box for almost (I cannot believe that long) fifty years. I could see fabric remnants between the two pieces but no cardboard. Hence the confusion although it did not seem to make sense not to penetrate the board. As regards the window crank, I would have put the spring the other way as it seems to fit the escutcheon so nicely even though it is large for the hole in the board. The next challenge is the clips, any tips as to installing them. The previous panels used a type of ring shank nail with a keeper installed thru pre punched holes. I am using the clip on style, I need to transfer hole locations from the door to the board, then apparently notch the fabric at the clip locations. One must need grow an extra set of hands or something.f
Vern - on the spring, the small hole in the spring centers nicely around the window regulator. But you're right, basic logic (unless you really thought about it or knew otherwise) would have the large section against the door and the small area at the door panel. But that's backwards.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 01-13-2023, 02:49 PM   #10
David from Maine

Hi guys. These posts are helpful, but I have a problem that I hope that you can help me with. I bought my interior kit through Mac's for my 1930 Town Sedan and installed the escutcheons for the door latches on the panels. Of course the installation instructions did not include directions on how to install the latch escutcheons but I had the old panels to use as a guide. Now I am installing the panels and because the latch has to be located in the lower end of the escutcheon, the top of my panels are 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the top of the door, which is going to be a problem when I install the window trim. It seemed logical that the escutcheon would be centered in the pre-punched hole but that apparently is not the case. Any thoughts? Thanks.
David from Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 09:10 PM   #11
JayJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by David from Maine View Post
Hi guys. These posts are helpful, but I have a problem that I hope that you can help me with. I bought my interior kit through Mac's for my 1930 Town Sedan and installed the escutcheons for the door latches on the panels. Of course the installation instructions did not include directions on how to install the latch escutcheons but I had the old panels to use as a guide. Now I am installing the panels and because the latch has to be located in the lower end of the escutcheon, the top of my panels are 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the top of the door, which is going to be a problem when I install the window trim. It seemed logical that the escutcheon would be centered in the pre-punched hole but that apparently is not the case. Any thoughts? Thanks.
David - I’d be inclined to use your old panels as a template for the new panels and cut new holes if required. Then center your escutcheon on the new (“proper”) holes.

JayJay

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
Old 01-14-2023, 12:32 PM   #12
David from Maine

Thanks JayJay. I will try that and so happy that I kept the old panels to refer back to.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:42 PM   #13
David from Maine

Hi everyone. I hope that someone can help me with this question. I am installing the upholstered panel on the front passenger side door on my 1930 Town Sedan deluxe. The instructions say to nail the windlace on the hinge side of the door so that it is a little loose. Should the windlace wrap around the door panel so that when the door is closed that I can see the windlace? Also, the panel seems to be slightly wider than the door so that the hinge side is against the dash rail and when I adjust it towards the latch side, it rubs against the rubber bumper, but it still latches okay. It still appears to be a little tight on the hinge side. Should I split the difference?
Thanks for your assistance.
David