Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-25-2021, 06:02 PM   #1
Russell Reay

Default Aluminum windshield frame

I have a new Snyder's aluminum ws frame with new safety glass ws nicely bedded. My concern is whether to paint. I checked several old threads, and it appears that by using special primer, paint will adhere properly to the al frame. The searches cited several references to using clear coat on the al or polishing it. i don't need the frame to shine like chrome, but the matte-like finish seems quite acceptable if it can be protected from corrosion--clear coat?

The part of the hinge that screws to the header came without any holes drilled in it. This new alum. part is not as wide as the original steel part, so the holes to be drilled will be very close to the edge. Also I have read several comments about the fitting of the header/ windshield/ gas tank being problematic. Can I use the original steel hinge part (holes already drilled, and in good shape) with the new al ws frame?
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:13 PM   #2
Oldbluoval

Default Re: Aluminum windshield frame

Few comments
1. Will the two hinge extrusions mate up? The repo may not mate with original and function.
2. What will you do about finish? Paint the original hinge piece aluminum?
3.you won’t know about spacing to the gas tank till you try it
4. Clear coat in aluminum should work ok…but never done it as you specify
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:20 PM   #3
chrs1961815

If you want to clearcoat it you will have to use adhesion promoter and then clear coat it. Since the glass is already in it, you will have a lot of taping to do.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:46 AM   #4
ronn

aluminum takes paint very well. no adhesion problems there.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:34 AM   #5
rotorwrench

Aircraft are painted all the time and they are mostly aluminum. Aluminum is treated with a mild phosphoric etch solution followed by an alodine solution to passivate the surface. After the part is rinsed & completely dried off, it's ready for primer. Aviation sources still have zinc based (generally zinc phosphate or strontium chromate now) epoxy primers for a long lasting surface prep for what ever paint is applied. Polyurethanes are still preferred for top coats since this system preserves the metal for about as long as is possible for these very expensive investments.

I still use zinc chromate that I source from Aircraft Spruce but a person has to use a respirator when working with such known carcinogens in wet or dry form. The truth be known, a person can scuff the surface and prime it with what ever is desired in primer or paint and it will stick just fine but won't have the corrosion resistance of a properly treated aluminum part.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 08:18 AM   #6
chrs1961815

Exclamation Re: Aluminum windshield frame

Since the aluminum is shiny and slick you cannot just paint over it without using etching primer or some kind of adhesion promoter. The problem here is that he might want to clear coat it so you have to do what rotorwrench said or use adhesion promoter. Don't think there is a clear epoxy primer for this application.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:02 PM   #7
Russell Reay

I will take all the paint recommendations into account. At this stage I can paint everything except the ws frame, and do that later. Regarding the new vs old hinge, the new frame and old hinge slip together nicely. Two issues--will the steel to aluminum contact cause corrosion problems over time? If so, will dielectric grease prevent it? Second, note that in the photo, the old hinge will not close completely (so the flange is 90* to the plane of the glass) suggesting that the ws will not close all the way at the bottom. The new alum. hinge closes over-much (~95*) indicating that the bottom of the ws will close completely. Drilling holes in the alum hinge the same size as in the original will put them right on the edge of the extrusion. To retain the original and gain enough play to get the 90* angle maybe I can heat and bend it (but NOT while attached to new frame)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0964 - Copy.jpg (19.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0966 - Copy.jpg (32.3 KB, 27 views)
Russell Reay is offline   Reply With Quote