Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2021, 09:53 AM   #401
DavidG

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Chris,

It's something of a mixture, with a late '33-'34 starter motor, '32 upper flywheel housing, and a '32 water inlet casting on the left side of the block. Given the crankshaft, it is perhaps a pre-counterbalanced crankshaft '32 long block with selected '33 items added to it for use in a '33 truck.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:44 PM   #402
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
Chris
Permatex 2 is a good sealer for studs then anti-seize above the block. Shop is looking good.
Bruce on the left coast.
Thanks Bruce. The shop is a project just on its own! I got through the maple syrup judging today. Happy with the results. Several firsts, seconds a third and a fourth place.

I will check with NAPA on the sealer too.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:51 PM   #403
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Chris,

It's something of a mixture, with a late '33-'34 starter motor, '32 upper flywheel housing, and a '32 water inlet casting on the left side of the block. Given the crankshaft, it is perhaps a pre-counterbalanced crankshaft '32 long block with selected '33 items added to it for use in a '33 truck.
David,
Thanks for the details on the various engine components. I have not gotten up to speed on these to even know what I am looking at yet! Would become even more jumbled if this #2 engine becomes a candidate to put in the truck.
Letting the engine thing simmer for a day or two. Putting up wood in the shop to try to get this next room wall covering finished up. Hate to say but fall and winter are just around the next bend!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-23-2021, 07:59 AM   #404
sugarmaker

Folks,
Ok new day, Monday, Life is good on this side of the sod!
Worked the low wood most of the day yesterday. Well I did do a carb rework on my daughters Massey Harris Pony tractor. Found some one put a rubber oring under the seat portion of the needle valve assembly. was leaking gas through there i think.?
Back to the Ford Model B engines and such. I am going to do a little more honing on the cylinders and then decide if I want to do a refurb like my Uncle Jack would have done. He ran old used equipment all his life. Mostly trucks for his Sand and gravel business in Beaver Center PA. He did a lot of just re-ringing engines and sending them back out into service. His situation was that the truck could not be down for a long time and had to be back to work in a couple days at most.

I have looked at the end of the crankshaft where the front seal (rope) contacts. It has a groove worn there. Is that normal?? I would think that should be smooth and straight??
So if I did put this #2 engine together in would be a mix and match of various components from both engines. Picking the best or only items to get one complete engine together.

Stay tuned I may drag all of you through a very messy, non typical, old school, farmer approched, rigged, old engine refurb!

Heck! Might even learn something along the way too.

Who is the expert on these front and rear seals? What are the tricks and things that must be done?? Or is there a good tread on the subject?

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-23-2021, 08:39 AM   #405
flatford8

“Stay tuned I may drag all of you through a very messy, non typical, old school, farmer approched, rigged, old engine refurb! ”
Uncle Jack is watching.......with a BIG smile........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:30 AM   #406
DavidG

Chris,

That groove is wear-induced, but it should not be on the crankshaft itself, rather on the shank of the crankshaft pulley which encases the front of the crankshaft. The original fabric/asbestos rope-type seals were pretty tough and eventually wore down the cast iron of the pulley shank. You can obtain a new pulley from Snyder's who offer a two-piece semi-modern version where the pulley and shank are separate. Personally, I prefer the original one-piece version, which aren't that difficult to find.

The only seal in the rear is a cork one between the curved lip of the oil pan and the outer groove in the rear main bearing cap. Within the rear end of the main bearing cap on the crankshaft is a circular slinger which causes the oil trying to escape to flow out the tube in the front of that bearing cap back into the oil pan. A modern seal can be incorporated, but some machining is required, I believe.

t
Old 08-23-2021, 10:50 AM   #407
Bob C

Your crankshaft pulley looks like one of the aluminum or pot metal
after market ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crank pulley.jpg (61.4 KB, 14 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #408
STEVE O

Chris,
I know in todays world your uncles approach is frowned on, but it got him by which was used everyday and certainly would for your application. Love to read and follow your projects!
Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:24 PM   #409
sugarmaker

Folks,
Thanks for the support. Yea probably My uncle would be smiling! But I did hear him also say that typical re ring and get it back together did not last long in his work trucks. Mostly he had small GMC dumps, then moved up to GMC 860's, over the road, trucks when he hauled steel between Youngstown OH and Buffalo NY. Those trucks were so ugly you almost had to love them! He really enjoyed the whine of those Detroit Diesels!

The 32 Dump:
So we are going down a old overgrown dark path with the B engine #2. Kind of dragging it along with us. Will it ever run again? What are the chances?
So today I looked at the cylinder bores a little more. Checked Snyders catalog and noted that new rings should have a lets say (because I cant remember) .015 inch gap when installed in the bore. Humm. Pulled off a top ring from a piston and inserted it into said bore. Humm. .220 gap!
Measured the bore with just a vernier caliper and it was 3.922 inches IIRC. Which would be .046 over stock bore. Humm? Checked a couple times, Yep.
So in my infinite wisdom I called Snyders and ordered a set of .040 pistons and rings. will they go in and function?? The plot thickens!
Joe at Snyders mentioned that maybe they (original owners) couldn't get .040 pistons?? He will send me some new ones to at least set here for a day or two while we think on this a little more too. Also will include one of those fancy dancy valve guide removal tools! By the way tooling is not part of the project cost, its just another needed tool!
I plan to try to use the pulley from engine #1 for the front of this crank. I think!

Did I mention that stuff is falling out of the sky towards this truck again. Friend John K with the 48 Ford, brought me a set of the fancy turn signals similar to what is on the truck but in better shape. And another Ford guy brought me a box of old light bulbs in original boxes. I have to wear a helmet when I walk out side now!
Also thanks to another Ford Barn guy I have a potential chance at this used 32 radiator that might just be the ticket to solve that portion of the puzzel.

We try to teach as we go along too. Ok I am the student. But here is a look at the difference David mentioned between the upper 33-34 timing cover and the lower 32 style cover and engine support bracket.

Rest of the day was spent working the low wood. I now have sized, sanded and coated all the 8 foot long hemlock. When that is up, the big room will have three walls to finish and the two stacks of 12 footers will be whittled into something that looks like walls.
Hope things are good in Ford land.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-24-2021, 04:18 AM   #410
Fatheads4ever

Great looking truck. Looks very straight for a commercial/working class vehicle. I've always thought that Ford makes the best looking trucks in the world.. no exceptions!
Regards Kevin
Fatheads4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:59 AM   #411
sugarmaker

Kevin, Folks,
They still do look pretty nice for almost 90 years old! This old work truck has many scars from its life as a daily driver hauling cans of water and lengths of pipe to the water well drilling sites in our area.

Have tossed and turned most of the night on the engine issues. And I believe that I need to proceed at the machine shop with the #1 engine machine work to have it ready to go in some months away. The truck deserves that new fresh engine even if it a couple years from now. Its waited this long! Which means next year some time, maybe for its 90'th birthday?

In the mean time I will continue to review engine #2 for the possibility that it could be assembled, to be a temporary engine for moving the truck around. So that's today's plan. But its still early in North Western Pennsylvania!

Very interesting, just the fact, that this old truck has brought folks from around the globe to my shop. Awesome Ford Folks out there! Thanks to all of you!
Off to put up hemlock!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-24-2021, 10:00 AM   #412
Als48

Sugarmaker,

This is an awesome thread! I enjoy reading about your truck adventures.

Al Hook
Als48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:35 PM   #413
sugarmaker

Al, Ford Folks,
Glad your enjoying the thread on the old Ford dump. We did some testing on it today.
Friend Jim from Bugs & Tugs came over to help move the 32 to a new spot in the shop.
He towed the truck out into the road for the first time its felt pavement with its new shoes on. And first time its been on the road for many years! The brakes were tested several times as Jim pulled me around to the north side of the shop with the Allis WZ.

You get a real feel for the size of this dump truck compared to the not very big Allis tractor. Point being its not a very big truck. It will not be that easy to get in and out of with my big clod hoppers! It did steer ok and brakes felt pretty good!

This room has the wall material completed. Moving the 32 here will allow me to begin some of hemlock on the big bay walls. It seems happy to get a different view also.

I believe I secured a good used radiator for the truck too. More on that later.

Was able to finish the walls in another room this evening. Thanks to Jim for the help! These shots were taken early this morning before we relocated the 32. Next wall will be where the two overheads are.
Before:

After:

Getting there on the shop project. Need to get a bunch more trim screws and Varethane.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 08-24-2021 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 10:21 PM   #414
DavidG

I think it has been a long time, if ever, since it enjoyed such fancy surroundings.

And you're right, it is a bit dwarfed by the Allis. It's contemporary sibling Lincolns had either 5" or 14" more wheelbase.
Old 08-25-2021, 05:23 AM   #415
sugarmaker

David,
Thanks for the compliment on the shop!
No different than a car or truck project getting the details complete takes time. It has been a year and a month since we set the poles. Looking forward to having a winter hang out where it is somewhat comfortable too. Back at it today on the West wall. For some reason I like working with this hemlock material. I built the sugarhouse with rough cut and it has been a great addition to the property for 20 years. Looking forward to having some good visits in this shop with new friends too. Had someone visit every day this week!
I already have a potential engine removal project on a 48 (or 46) Ford car. Helping John K (Mr Ford) who has the nice black 48 coupe. The little jib crane should work well for things like that project too. One thing I did not do was get a floor coating. So I get some marks from oil leaks. spills.

The 32: The scale of this truck is just right for the type of project I was looking for. And one of the criteria of buying it was that it had to fit on my car hauler. Since I have driven a lot of tractors and non power steering Fords this should just feel like a old truck to drive. But sure is different view over the hood of one of these old Ford trucks! Its growing on me!
Should be getting some new engine parts from Snyder's today. Will do some looking and test fitting of those items! We continue to learn something every day!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-26-2021, 06:37 AM   #416
sugarmaker

Folks,
We continue to evaluate the 33 engine options. We understand all the right things to do but the brain continues to think we can make a silk purse from a sows ear! Why do our brains do that. Ok we are all wired different. I grew up with not much and had to make do and make things work for years. Must be a carry over from that era?
The shop work is a good distraction so that a person doesn't get all tangled up in a old Ford truck.
My seat upholsterer has set my 32 seats aside for many other much better paying projects. Its ok, they will come along at just the right time. So the truck may look like poopy doopy but the seats will be fresh!
The used 32 radiator should be on its way to me shortly. Thanks for who ever mentioned it to the owner of that item.
Life is good! The two Great grandsons are here for the day! Wife's birthday.
Hope things are good out there in Ford land!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-26-2021, 07:31 AM   #417
tubman

Just be careful and do the best job you can with the best materials you can get and don't make any obvious mistakes. This strategy got me reliably back and forth to work and college for 6 years with some very marginal vehicles. These old cars will take a lot; I'm sure we have all hear similar stories from back in the day of the durability of these things.

The only difference these days is that you don't want to take chance on a serious error, because you just can't pop down to the local junkyard and get another engine for $50.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #418
sugarmaker

Tubman, Folks,
The 32 engine status:

This bad crack has pretty much put this block in the category of unusable. Maybe could be patched? Probably not by me. Some spare parts will be reviewed from this engine and evaluated during the machining work for #1 engine machining.

So we will start back on the engine #1 and continue to learn about these 90 year old engines. One of the first steps at the machine shop will be to pressure test it.

Great grandsons and I went to the Big Crawford County Fair, Candy apples, Hot Sausage,
Maple milkshakes, Lemon aid, Cinnamon taffy, the cows, pigs, sheep, horses, and the goats below. They wore me out, but had a ball with them!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 08-26-2021, 07:19 PM   #419
tubman

Too bad about that crack. That's exactly he sort of thing that will put a quick stop to a project like this. Just about anything can be fixed though. Years ago, a friend of mine was able to score a '28 LaSalle roadster for a good price. Unfortunately, the previous owner had left it outside over the winter and the block was badly cracked. Knowing the value of the car, he found someone to repair the block. It took several weeks (most of it in a huge oven heating up and cooling down), but he got it fixed. He never had a problem with it, but is was what I would call "prohibitavely expensive".

Last edited by tubman; 08-26-2021 at 08:18 PM. Reason: I finally found a word "SpellChek" can't fix :"prohibitavely"
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:02 PM   #420
DavidG

That's an unusual location for a crack in one of the B blocks; well hidden from a casual inspection of the usual places where it would occur. If it were a true '32 V8 block it might be worth the expense of saving it, but with a B block, not likely.