Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #21
Willie Krash

Default Re: Alternator Conversion Question

I wrote in my reply above that 7.7V is equivalent to 15.4V on 12V.
Is that a problem? Yes and no..For some batteries you are very close to gassing the battery. 16V does the trick.
Where you live and how long you drive is an issue. As Mike K said no temp compensation.

This is why I mentioned Alaska. Cold weather will produce a higher voltage that ramps down with heat. Mike alluded to this.
As to the amp gauge returning to zero sure but remember the set voltage is 7.7 and on an analog regulator it is either on or off. It strives for 7.7 and when it reaches that it shuts down. This happen very fast but the end result is 7.7V. The freq that this happens is driven by battery and loads.

Seem a little hot for me, on a long drive particularly so.
Can you get away with it, sure. If you drive 15K miles a year a little dicey.
I don't know if you would know or not but it well may affect battery life, see conditions above.

I wouldn't worry about it for casual driving or otherwise. On paper tho' I don't like it.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #22
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyv8 View Post
I am starting to wonder why I ever decided to go with a 6 volt alternator.
Would a bigger pulley help?
Where exactly does the diode need to be located?
It's not your fault. Many have been brainwashed into believing that newer is better, or if was good they would still have it.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #23
1931 flamingo

The alt came on my tudor. Charges when first started then settles right down to a minimum charge.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #24
H. L. Chauvin

FWIW: For anyone trying to decide on a "new" Model A charging system:

Often mentioned hereinbefore is that:

Unless one wants twelve (12) volts for Model A air-conditioning, six (6) volts accompanied with a six (6) volt generator works well and looks great.

Also, a cigarette lighter correctly hooked up to six (6) volts can charge a 110/12V cell phone which has GPS system; or a cigarette lighter hooked up to six (6) volts can operate a 12 volt GPS, plus so many other modern options offered on today's cell phones etc.

When accompanied with the option of a new, modern six (6) volt voltage regulator, a Model A six (6) volt generator can produce more exact "required" charging as opposed to possible overcharging with a cut-out, eliminate re-adjusting generator output when used for daytime driving and again for night time driving, and can extend overall battery life.

Lots of generators and alternators available on Ebay ..... but in the end ........ please remember ......... like with WW and/or BW tires ....... detergent oil and/or non-detergent oil lubrication strategies ....... we should always choose what "we" like best.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 12-09-2015 at 02:46 PM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:54 PM   #25
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
we should always choose what "we" like best.
Cannot agree with you more.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:35 PM   #26
rocket1

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I installed a 6 volt alternator about 15 years ago,never had a problem,drops to 0 volts on ammeter when battery is charged.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #27
amishman

Smile Re: Alternator Conversion Question

When I bought my 1930 Townsedan three years ago, it was original to the best I can tell. I'm the fourth owner and it's never been located more then 50 miles from the first owner and have the original title. I wanted a great touring car,so I did as much as I could with that goal in mind. Had AER in Skokie, IL do the engine rebuild. It was bored .125 over, it had been bored before, once or twice before. I had them put in a Burlington balance crank, Stipe .340 cam, larger intake and exhaust valves. With all of that done to the engine, it didn't do much for the power. I was told I needed more carburetor, that I needed down draft with the .340 cam. So I installed A Weber two barrel,what a difference that made. Put in A Mitchell overdrive and changed the rear gears to 3:54. This car really runs great at 65-70 on the expressway if needed for cross country trip.So back to alternator issues, with touring across country, I decided to put in Ken Davis Air-conditioner with a high output 12 volt Alt.,replaced all the wiring, put in Quartz Halogen headlight bulbs, LED's for tail lights. The amp meter seemed so irregular in charging and discharging, but everything seemed to work OK for two years. One night back in the first week in Sept.the headlights burnt out, I replaced only to have them go again along with the electric fuel pump. I think I learned something in Wille Kashe post. I'm not good with electronics, but thought that there was a problem with the Alt. kept showing different reading on output, had the Alt. checked out at NAPA, they said it was Ok, put it back on and the car wouldn't turn over, checked the battery and was getting 15.6 volts, I was really confused, pulled the battery out , back to NAPA and they said the two year old battery was no good. The car started right up, but it seemed like the Alt was putting out to much. Our Model A club was leaving on a three day tour to northern Micigan the next day, so thought I didn't want to take chance with that Alt. Back to NAPA to get another Alt.,they only had a 63 amp 10 SI, put it on and left on our tour, it discharged for 100 miles to where we had lunch. It would not start after lunch. Got to our over night location, took the Alt off and went back to NAPA, they said the Alt. was no good, I said I just put it on new two days before. He went and got another off the shelf and check that out, guess what? That was no good, he had one more 97 amp and didn't charge me the more expensive one. Put that Alt on the car and everything looks good, the amp meter functions as it should.
amishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:11 AM   #28
fiftyv8

I spoke with my local auto electrical guy about my concerns (he did not sell me the alternator that was from ebay).
He tells me bring the car down and he will check amps and volts and get a picture of what is going on.
He just seems interested since it is an old car and probably something different from the day to day stuff he sees.
Once I get a couple of medical appointments out of the way I intend to go see him with the car and see what his humble opinion maybe...
fiftyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #29
katy

Quote:
drops to 0 volts on ammeter
That's a pretty good trick.