Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2024, 12:28 PM   #21
bobbader

Default Re: Rear brake woes

I noticed you said you turned the adjuster (adjusting wedge) counter-clockwise to its stop. This does not assure the service brake shoes are fully retracted. Once you hit the stop, you need to turn it back slightly clockwise until you feel the adjusting shafts "click once" so that they are "seated" in the low spots on the adjusting wedge. This is especially true with newly lined brake shoes.

I'm not negating the possibility that the position of the cam is reversed, but the possibility of this is slim if the rebuilder sent you back the backing plates fully assembled. (If this were the case, they might have had an issue with properly centering the brake shoes). On the other hand, if the shoes are not properly retracted, the problem you have is VERY possible. Good Luck in your endeavors.
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:31 PM   #22
coyledad46

First of all, let me say how much I appreciate the folks who've taken the time to try to help me with my problem. But I'm still stumped. I tried turning the adjusting wedge back to make sure it wasn't caught on one of the ridges, but that didn't make any difference.
The space between the brake shoes and the edge of the backing plate is about 3/4 of an inch all the way around, so it appears that the shoes are centered. When the lever is pulled forward, the shoes are closer together (further retracted) than they are when the lever is positioned toward the rear (pointed the way it should go). The rollers are seated fully on the cam, not riding up on one of the ridges. I can't find anything else to figure out what's wrong.

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.
coyledad46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 04:54 AM   #23
Rob Doe

Until recently, one of the rear axles on my car had a worn axle key way. Sometimes when I attempted to reinstall the hub and drum, the key would slide toward the backing plate and prevent the hub and drum from going all the way on. The key way is supposed to be a snug fit and not allow the key to do this.

You might try removing the axle key and test fit the hub and drum to see if it will go on all the way. The bevel at the end of the key goes face down to the axle and at the backing plate end of the key way.
Old 01-17-2024, 09:06 AM   #24
Mel Gross

coyledad46

I tried to PM you, but you are not set-up to do them.
I will; try to help you if you would like.
Call me at 714-292-8660

Randy Gross
Mel Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 10:37 AM   #25
Phil Brown

Good thought on the keyway preventing the drum from going on fully, but it sounds like the shoes are still operating backwards. Pull the arm and they retract and he can get the drum on, then can not move the arm back upright ?
A great offer from one of the best brake guys out there, I would call Randy and see if he might be able to help straighten things out
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 03:44 PM   #26
Kurt in NJ

left and right backing plates switched or you have 2 of the same side perhaps
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote