Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #21
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Cylinder wall thickness

No, I haven't had a chance to use a flow bench for years. I know I spent several months boyh times,It was hard to stop. I did discover one thing, The bowl is the biggest problem. Also, all it take is 15 -20 minutes per port to get a major increas in flow, any more time is not very productive.. The only way to increase the flow is to replace the port , and eliminate the bowl.
I do my best work while in bed.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:01 AM   #22
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich b View Post
Pretty sure Speedway has licensed the Offenhauser name for use on some of their own products.
How do you know this? I would think that if something like this had happened we would have heard about it.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:31 AM   #23
rich b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
How do you know this? I would think that if something like this had happened we would have heard about it.
dmarv's post (5th) provided that info.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...hauser.365658/
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:58 AM   #24
tubman

WOW! That's disappointing. It seems these days, it's all about the money.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #25
revkev6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
No, I haven't had a chance to use a flow bench for years. I know I spent several months boyh times,It was hard to stop. I did discover one thing, The bowl is the biggest problem. Also, all it take is 15 -20 minutes per port to get a major increas in flow, any more time is not very productive.. The only way to increase the flow is to replace the port , and eliminate the bowl.
I do my best work while in bed.

If I provide a flow bench and tools I will let you come to my place and test all you want! I have the plans to build one with a shop vac and the plate to convert that to cfm.
revkev6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:37 PM   #26
Ol' Ron

That's interesting. I built my first one about 25 years ago. the results are in my book. Converting to CFM is tricky, and un necessary. The best method is to measure the difference in change. Or improvement in flow. You'll find that allot of stock removal in some places, don't help much and oversize valves don't increase flow as much as the trouble installing them. All this port mods help only at high RPM"s, where a street engine never runs much. But a race engine, that's a different story.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #27
revkev6

Quote:
That's interesting. I built my first one about 25 years ago. the results are in my book. Converting to CFM is tricky, and un necessary. The best method is to measure the difference in change. Or improvement in flow. You'll find that allot of stock removal in some places, don't help much and oversize valves don't increase flow as much as the trouble installing them. All this port mods help only at high RPM"s, where a street engine never runs much. But a race engine, that's a different story.
actually converting to CFM is pretty easy. guy came up with a plate that has 3 or 4 holes in it. each hole is made to flow a certain cfm and calibrate against. chart your flow in excel against the calibration and you get flow you can compare against others. kinda neat I thought.

btw, my understanding was that flatheads need more flow at low lift and the bigger valves help that??

here is part of the article.
http://www.musclecardiy.com/cylinder...-heads-part-3/
Old 10-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #28
Ol' Ron

How do you calibrate the holes???
Old 10-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #29
revkev6

Quote:
How do you calibrate the holes???
The article gives all the instructions. It's pretty simple
Old 10-11-2017, 07:47 AM   #30
scooder

Ron, can you let us know what you do in the ports in your 15-20 minutes work please?
Many thanks,
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:02 AM   #31
HotRodmicky

Hi Ron , yeah please let us know what to do.
Michael
HotRodmicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #32
Ol' Ron

OK, I'm having trouble with my computer so, posting a picture is difficult. Using a micrometer, measure the thickness of the top of the port. You do this by placing the mike through the water jacket on top of thee port. depending on the year of the block. this will be around .300". Now using a die grinder with a carbide cutter. reduce this to aprox. .100" across the area of the valve opening. Using a junk block. drill some holes in the area where the port enters the bowl. All of the material you remove is from the top of the port. Using the 1.6 chevy valve, this should give a 10/15 % in flow.
Now, a short story. When my friend Richard was building his engine, he asked me about this porting "stuff"
Old 10-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #33
Ol' Ron

I told him all this and sent him a fer pics. After awhile he said he'd rather not do this and wondered what affect it would have on performance? I had no idea becuse I always did this. He decided not to do this. I told him to get a set of chevy exhaust valves, becuse he was using an L-100 cam. Afew years later I went down to Fla and drove the car. Now this is no light weight, however the T-5 trqns and 4.10 read gave fantastic acceloration. The OD gave exelent fuel economy. I think his 276 was one of the best running engines I ever drove, considering the fact that it was a simple build. Merc crank Egge pistons, L-100 cam and Edelbrock heads intake and carb. I think the key component was his ignition system and tuning . I was impressed. So for street I don't really tink porting is worth the effort,
Old 10-11-2017, 09:57 AM   #34
revkev6

Quote:
I told him all this and sent him a fer pics. After awhile he said he'd rather not do this and wondered what affect it would have on performance? I had no idea becuse I always did this. He decided not to do this. I told him to get a set of chevy exhaust valves, becuse he was using an L-100 cam. Afew years later I went down to Fla and drove the car. Now this is no light weight, however the T-5 trqns and 4.10 read gave fantastic acceloration. The OD gave exelent fuel economy. I think his 276 was one of the best running engines I ever drove, considering the fact that it was a simple build. Merc crank Egge pistons, L-100 cam and Edelbrock heads intake and carb. I think the key component was his ignition system and tuning . I was impressed. So for street I don't really tink porting is worth the effort,
what about in something smaller cube?? .040 over 8ba?? I'm going to start a thread about it. i just picked up a never fired "stock rebuild"
Old 10-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #35
Ol' Ron

mtt
Old 10-12-2017, 02:29 AM   #36
scooder

Thanks for the explanation Ron,
Good information right there. So what were shooting for is as straight a shot as we can at the valve? A 10-15% increase in flow is quite substantial.
Many thanks
Martin.

Last edited by scooder; 10-12-2017 at 02:39 AM.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote