Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2023, 06:53 PM   #21
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Burtz Block Update - Jan 2023

Me too Dino, hopefully this year will see me with a new Terry Burtz block assy.

All I know is, Dennis Kleisen's '29 Tudor that I saw and heard run at the Model A meet at Sharon, Wisconsin in 2021. What a sweetheart of a motor! Dennis had just driven in from California, when he left Sharon he looped up around Lake Michigan then down to Alabama to visit family, and then scooted back out to California all with no problems whatsoever.

He has over 25,000 miles on his new engine and it is performing flawlessly. It took me 20 YEARS to put 10,000 miles on our Tudor, so at that rate, it would be 50 years before I hit 25,000 miles. I'll only be 118 years old by then, sure hope that motor holds together for me

Also, it is nothing to dump $5,000-$6,000 in a 90 year old babbitted block engine rebuild, and hope to heck you don't develop a crack in that sucker. Terry's block arrangement is kind of a no-brainer to me.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:35 PM   #22
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino's A View Post
Obviously these motors do work. Hey, If you don't want one, then don't buy one.!
Exactly - but I'm reminded of the old saying your results may vary.
Each builder has their own tricks of the trade they have developed over the years. At some point I imagine we'll see a battle of the builders - whose has the most H.P. - makes the most torque - gets the best mileage - etc.

Everything I've always seen stresses you need to know modern engines. I liken the handwork needed as the same when preparing a new factory race block (service ones have all the deburing etc done). It's not technical or hard but critical to getting the most out of an engine.
My goal is a Burtz engine with Miller OHV head (Got the wife sold on needing the Burtz so she can have the air conditioning she wants). Still working on how to sell her on doubling the cost by adding the hot rod head. http://millerhi-speedheads.com/products.html

I also imagine people will be coming up with additional accessories for these engines.

I want to use this oil filter adapter - https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2139656

Last edited by ModelA29; 01-14-2023 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 07:46 PM   #23
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
All I know is, Dennis Kleisen's '29 Tudor that I saw and heard run at the Model A meet at Sharon, Wisconsin in 2021. .....He has over 25,000 miles on his new engine and it is performing flawlessly. It took me 20 YEARS to put 10,000 miles on our Tudor, so at that rate, it would be 50 years before I hit 25,000 miles.

Also, it is nothing to dump $5,000-$6,000 in a 90 year old babbitted block engine rebuild, .....

Maybe you'd drive it more with a smooth modern engine.

The Burtz engine kit is a steal @ $4000 when you look at just the price of adding a 3 journal counterbalanced crank and insert rods to a rebuild.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:06 PM   #24
jack backer
BANNED

The three journal ‘counterbalanced’ crankshafts either made by ford or others isn’t a true counterbalanced crankshaft, where the Burtz is.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:16 PM   #25
Ayers1

Thanks for the update! One day I would love to get one. It may be down the road but the next one I have to replace will be a Burtz.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:17 PM   #26
jack backer
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
So, you are denying the threat of a law suit? You and your lawyers never threatened the owner of the two engines that were in dispute with a law suit, correct?

Please be clear. Just because WE haven’t seen a law suit doesn’t mean you or your lawyers didn’t threaten one.

If you and your lawyers didn’t threaten him with any law suits, please make that clear in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The damage is done shew, and memorialized. Action is at their discretion. Discretion being the better part of valor perhaps nothing will come of it.However, its not the aggrieved position, in most cases, to absolve the defendant..
Old 01-14-2023, 09:40 PM   #27
CT Jack

I am a newbie owner of a Burtz engine. My engine was ordered on a Monday and I received it on the following Monday. Simply put this turnaround cycle was surprisingly unbelievable.
John and Terry have been very helpful in answering my questions as I begin the process of engine assembling. They have supplied excellent documentation describing the assembling process. Many of the recommendations made are based on their engineering experience and actual engine testing. The quality of the engine and workmanship appears to be excellent. The thought of not having to be concerned about having to inspect for cracks in the casting or re-machining of the block and crank and also the absence of not using babbitted bearings is very satisfying. Most importantly is the end result will provide me with a more durable and reliable engine that is suitable for touring and general driving enjoyment. Also no one will be able to tell that it's not an original Model A engine.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:56 PM   #28
JRLampl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
So, you are denying the threat of a law suit? You and your lawyers never threatened the owner of the two engines that were in dispute with a law suit, correct?

Please be clear. Just because WE haven’t seen a law suit doesn’t mean you or your lawyers didn’t threaten one.

If you and your lawyers didn’t threaten him with any law suits, please make that clear in this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, never a legal threat in any way from any lawyer. To be clear. This is all more hyperbole from the other party.
Old 01-14-2023, 11:33 PM   #29
Scckayak

Regardin* Post #4, Check out Dadsvintageautoparts.com, Leonard Nettles does put together various kits fo4 the Burtz Build.

Last edited by Scckayak; 01-14-2023 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 11:51 PM   #30
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLampl View Post
No, never a legal threat in any way from any lawyer. To be clear. This is all more hyperbole from the other party.
So you'd be fine with him posting his videos of the work done on the engines? I'm still curious about the one spot where the crank seemed to be tight but do realize that once it's running those will wear in rather quickly.
Is it possible to pick an engine up at the Hawthorne warehouse I've seen mentioned? Living in SoCal I'd hate to pay shipping for 30 miles.
Old 01-15-2023, 12:22 AM   #31
CWPASADENA

Folks,

I thought we all were moving along and not continuing to beat this thing to death.

It is clear to me that there definitely were statements made in the "Video" that were not at all consistent with what many others had experienced with their engine kits.

I believe Tim McMaster has shown the 2 kits in question were usable.

I suspect Paul was not very experienced with this sort of thing. He made a poor choice when he picked his mechanist and did not do his homework before he posted the "Video". Had he done so, we would not be having this discussion. I believe the best thing that could happen is for Paul to apologize for his "Mistake" so we can put this thing to bed once and for all.

The Burtz engine is a game changer for the Model A Hobby. Terry Burtz and his team have demonstrated that they will stand behind their product. There are hundreds of these things running around and I am sure as time goes by, we will see a lot more.

Some owners will invest in one of these new engines and will be happy with their decision. Other owners may not feel this is something they want to get involved with. Some do not want to have anything to do with stuff made in China while others are not bothered by the components being made offshore. Nobody is wrong, everyone is entitled to make their own decision.

Let's all move on.

My opinion,

Chris W.
Old 01-15-2023, 01:02 AM   #32
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRLampl View Post
Yep, you did. Thanksgiving morning. I have witnesses, one of whom is an attorney and overheard you on speakerphone. He agreed to represent me if you follow through.

Please stop harassing me. Bringing up who used to own those blocks is harassment. Constantly stating they went together without any additional work is false. I have the full video of all the work we did to those blocks at Tim's shop (at my expense) to make those cranks turn, ready to publish. Just give the OK and I will publish.

I already apologized for publishing the original video, which I took down the same day. You guys simply won't let this go! I'm beginning to think you're just using it to generate publicity, but you are only dividing the hobby, not bringing people together. I took the original video down because I care more about the hobby than proving I'm right. Please leave me alone and stop cyber bullying me.
Old 01-15-2023, 06:03 AM   #33
Ryan
Administrator

I have no idea who is right or wrong in this deal. I’m on the outside looking in. But, I will say that neither side has represented themselves well on the Ford Barn and feel like each should go to their respective corners and figure out something else… some other way of handling this conflict… and some other place to do it. I have no interest in hosting this stuff. Sorry.
Closed Thread