Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2018, 09:03 AM   #1
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Clutch Chatter & Flywheel run-out

We are exploring a fairly rough clutch chattering situation on a vehicle that has been mechanically restored prior to this person owning the vehicle. Initially we removed the transmission thinking we would see a worn pilot or main drive gear end that engages into the pilot bearing. All of that appears to be new and not the culprit. The flywheel has been converted to the V-8 clutch style P/P and has a new pilot bearing. We just indicated the housing and it is between 0.004" - 0.005" with the majority of the run-out on the lower portion. Not sure how much the physical weight of the transmission would lessen that amount (-if any) when it is installed.

The flywheel face still has the grinder marks, and although they are a little rougher than what most would like by today's standards, it does appear the clutch is engaging uniformly for the most part and probably not the culprit. The flywheel face appears to have approximately 0.008"-0.009" of run-out in it and was indicated on the outermost portion of the flywheel face near the pressure plate holes. I suspect this was introduced when the flywheel was machined, HOWEVER I also do not know if this much run-out is really a problem either. I know there has been a number of something like 0.005" maximum runout for a flywheel offered numerous times here however if I recall correctly, that number is taken as a spec designed for the multiple-disc clutch and may or may not necessarily be applicable for the 6375B flywheel.

So where my question(s) would be is exactly how much flywheel face variance/runout is acceptable before it would actually give a problem? Why I am asking for opinions is kinda two-fold in that this flywheel has been balanced along with the P/P. If I were to set it up into the flywheel grinder to take off the 0.005" to true it up, then I potentially would need to rebalance the flywheel and P/P. Not a big deal if it were to cure the issue but it would be perceived as a wasted expense if not the culprit. Thoughts??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote