Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
khschs

Default 32 steering wheel location

I am in the process of mocking up the steering column on my 32 cabriolet. It would be helpful to me to know the location of the stock steering wheel in relation to the dash both fore and aft and left and right. A dimension from the face of the dash, at the top, to the top center of the steering wheel rim would be a good reference point. A number from the center of the dash to the center of the steering wheel would also be helpful. These dimensions will give a good starting point.
Thanks, Keith
khschs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:01 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: 32 steering wheel location

If you have the stock column with the column lock, the lock mechanism will automatically locate the column where it mounts to the stock holes in the dash.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #3
khschs

Unfortunately it is not stock. I am fitting a 40 column and steering wheel and must fabricate the column drop. I am trying to establish a starting point.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:45 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You need to explain what you are attempting to do in a bit more detail. If it is totally not stock the location would be wherever you want it to be. If you are attempting to make it look somewhat original the 40 column would mount in roughly the same location as the original column. You would use the same mounting points on the dash for the drop. You can use trial and error with something like a wooden drop to figure out the location.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:01 PM   #5
TJ

Get a piece of 1 1/2" plastic pipe the length of the '40 column. Use it to mock up where you want to put it. It's what I have done for a custom installation. Our problem here is we have no idea if you have a stock seat , modified firewall, chopped top, '40 dash in a 32, etc. Any modifications to the interior or body can make a big difference where the column will be mounted for your comfort.
Old 01-25-2020, 06:30 PM   #6
khschs

Thanks to you all for the interest you have shown in my project. I am trying to finish this project up and, to that end, I would appreciate it if someone could help me out with the dimensions I spoke of in my original post. This information would help me establish a starting point and greatly expedite the job.
Thanks,Keith
Old 01-25-2020, 07:49 PM   #7
TJ

Since the '32 steering box is fixed into the side rail of the frame and the cabriolet uses the closed car dash,I would think the measurements from any '32closed passenger car would be the same as the cabriolet.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #8
Charlie ny
BANNED

kh,
I'm fitting a '48 F-1 steering box to my '32 pickup and sourced a complete '32 steering assembly and attached it to my dash. A buddy gave me a roached out steering wheel and that is what I think you might do. Here is the overwhelming reason...
I tried many mock up setups but none fit near as well as the stock 'geometry'. If you
lived near me I'd loan you the '32 steering assembly. A couple inches here and there
can make a big difference in driving comfort. It was not difficult to gather this stuff
especially with the Barn at your service.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 12:01 AM   #9
khschs

TJ I think you are correct. I believe the 32 pickup would probably work also.
Charlie N Y I agree stock geometry is usually the most comfortable. It was arrived at by engineers after all lot of thought and trial and error. That is the reason I want to start there. Thank you for the offer to loan me the steering assembly,however I live in Yuma A Z. Probably not a good idea.
Thanks, Keith
Old 01-26-2020, 10:37 AM   #10
TJ

Keith, Not sure but the 32 pickup column may be longer. Are you using a stock column or a later column?
Old 01-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #11
rotorwrench

The 1940 column is different, The steering gearbox for the 1940 is different. When a person uses the Gemmer II type gearbox, it changes the geometry from original so there is no way you will be able to reproduce the original geometry of the 1932 steering column and box with the 1940 set up. The 1940 was the first year of remote control shift on the column so that is a notable difference as well.

Folks that want to use a drop with the switch, generally use an earlier column since it can be easier to modify for those type. The F1 or F100 gearboxes are both used since they are still of the side steer sector design while the car types are cross steer designs. Your work is cut out for you. There are likely more threads about this subject on the HAMB than here but folks have been modifying these cars for a long time so there is some on this forum too.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:38 AM   #12
khschs

What I'm really after is the position of the steering wheel in a stock 32. I am sorry if I didn't explain myself well. I was in hopes of getting someone who has a stock 32 to take a few minutes and measure the steering wheel location and pass those dimensions on to me. This would help me greatly. I appreciate all the input so far, it has been very helpful.
Thanks, Keith
Old 01-26-2020, 03:42 PM   #13
motordr

Keith, here are some dimensions from my 3W
Dash center to steering wheel center-10”
Windshield to steering wheel at TDC-3 1/2”
Floor to steering wheel at TDC-31 1/2”
Top of seat cushion to steering wheel at BDC -6 1/2”
Toe board to steering wheel hub at horn button-29”
I hope that helps you along!
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #14
khschs

The Mountys to the rescue! That is the information I was looking for. I now have a reference point from which I can start fabrication of the column drop. Thanks for taking your time to help me out. I appreciate it.
Thanks again, Keith
Old 01-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #15
hop up

Khschs, the early fords cars and trucks have several different column drops and all will fit into the 1940 column tube. This is great for a hotrod guy as each one has a different drop length . This is great so you can set your column/ steering wheel /seating and windshield . That should be more in consideration then a set measurements. So on my 32 roadster I have a 1940 column drop that fits into the original dash mounting holes and gives it a great positioning. My model a roadster has a 1934 steering box column tube and uses a 1936 for column drop to get a comfortable steering wheel position. Them cars are small so distance between seat your leg and windshield with a 17 inch 1940 ford wheel . That being said my 32 cabriolet is 15 inches to the center of the column tube using a 1939 truck column drop and tube. This make it with a 1940 ford steering wheel 3.5 inches from the windshield to clear your knuckles. 2.5 inches from the cabriolet door panel and 8 inches front seating to 40 ford wheel lowest point. Thanks
Old 01-28-2020, 02:09 PM   #16
my4dv8

You can use measurements , I presume you are using a 40 steering box and cross steer. If so the column placement with out any u joints is dictated by the pitman arm location. Being that it must travel in an arc parallel to the tie rod . Get that set and it gives you column angle . We have a 37 steering box in out 32.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote