Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
Ken/Alabama

Default Transmission case

Pulled the transmission out of my 40 coupe today because I was hearing a squawking noise when I let out on the clutch. When I got the transmission out I noticed the case was cracked. I have another case but it has a different vent on it than the one I removed. The one I removed had a small breather vent with a cap on top ,the case I have for a replacement is the one pictured. Is one better than the other ? I know that the one pictured is an early case. Just wanted some input before I swapped the gears over and installed it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0927011922.jpg (14.4 KB, 67 views)
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
Karl Wolf

Default Re: Transmission case

If your first case has the VIN number of your car stamped on it, I think that I would save the case, or even try a repair- depending on the damage...
Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

If you need a case with small vent like the one you removed from your '40, I have two good cases that I have no plans to use. I bought these side shift transmissions several years ago just to get two sets of later gears to use in my early top load transmissions. If you are concerned about having the correct serial number on the case, you could mill/grind the numbers off and re-stamp with your serial number. Send me a PM if interested.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:29 AM   #4
Ken/Alabama

The one I pulled out doesnt have a matching number to the frame so thats not really an issue . I have other cases with the small vent on top and I have the one pictured,its already cleaned and painted ready to go. I just wasnt sure about that vent system .
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
Hoop

Ken,

I also have a number of side-shift cases that I've robbed for gears. None of them have a vent like the one you've posted.

Can you tell from the serial number what year if came out of?

It may be as common as dirt ... on the other hand, it may be unique to a certain year or model that would of interest to someone doing a dead accurate restoration.

Generally speaking, though not absolute, the later design is usually an improvement. Yours shown may be an earlier design, as you said, that they found was subject to clogging, therefore the change to a capped vent.

Otherwise, a guess.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Yes, the vent you have is 1940, the vent on top about '41 up. Fully interchangeable.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote