Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Jerry Kzoo

Talking S/W Rubber Strip removal`

I am trying to remove the old rubber on my S/W that seals around the back sides and bottom of windshield. So far I have tried to pull it out, but it rips. Next I tried slicing it to make it thinner to pull out and that worked, but I still made many scratches in the paint. Are there any secrets to try out there?

Also, on the sides near the top there are screw that go from the front into the track that the seal goes in. These stick up and would prevent the new seal from going by it. Is this right? Does the seal only go to these screws? I can't post pics, but I hope I have described my problem enough. Thanks for all your help, Jerry
Jerry Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:29 PM   #2
pat in Santa Cruz

Default Re: S/W Rubber Strip removal`

gently pry the metal clamp out just enough to release the old rubber. Taking it out in chunks sometimes is the only way, but sometimes if you can release the clamping efect of the metal retainer, you can pull it all out in one piece. Using soap or a penetrating oil can help. In places the rubber will be rusted in and you will have to dig it out carefully. After you clean the channel and re-install the new rubber, you can press the metal back down to clamp the rubber, if necessary. Where the screws are, cut a small notch into the rubber where it fits over the screws.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
Jerry Kzoo

Default Re: S/W Rubber Strip removal`

Thanks Pat, I will try that. I think the previous owner bent them down really tight. I will post how my progress goes. I do not know how to do pictures though. Jerry
Jerry Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote