Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-28-2020, 09:35 AM   #1
Robert/Texas

Default Mallory Distributor Springs

I need a new pair of distributor springs for the Mallory distributor which I bought from Patrick’s for my ’34 roadster in the mid 1990’s. I have been searching the Speedway and Summit websites but am confused as to what to purchase. All help will be appreciated.

Thanks Robert
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:54 AM   #2
51 MERC-CT

Default Re: Mallory Distributor Springs

Mallory makes/made several different distributors for different applications.
Without the information as to what you have, it's a guessing game.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #3
34PKUP

Yes, it is confusing, timing springs or distributor hold down spring/clips?
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:42 PM   #4
Robert/Texas

Thanks 51 and 34.

I had to replace the springs in 2010 when I left the ignition on for five days. I just found a receipt from StreetSide Auto from back then. The Mallory part number was 29014. Apparently, this has been discontinued so I hope to find a useable substitute. If I don’t find something else first, I’ll check with the Speedway and/or Summit help lines on Monday for help with this.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #5
BUBBAS IGNITION

You dont need springs !!
These units are adjustable by bending the tabs holding the springs thru a adjust ment hole in the breaker plate . Can be done on car in most cases , look at the spring size thru the hole small spring is the low speed large spring is high speed . Can send pictures if needed let me know what model the distributor is ???
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #6
Robert/Texas

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks Bubba

I hope that I’ve lucked out. I bought the Mallory distributor from Patrick’s back in 1994. It looks much like the Flathead 3-bolt distributor pictured in the current Speedway Motors website. It’s dimensionally smaller and much lighter in weight than the original type. I found a note that I wrote in 2010 when I called Mr. Patrick for help. It includes part numbers for the points, condenser, springs and what coil to use. The springs came in a package of six. All six were tiny and of the same size. They came in three different colors. The weakest springs are silver colored, and Mr. Patrick told me to use two of those for a stock street engine. He also told me that these distributors were built by Mallory specially/only for him. When I installed the springs, I was a little concerned that they might slip off so I tried to squeeze them on their posts as best I could.

Along with this note I found that I bought an extra set of these springs. I feel lucky that I found these but not so lucky with my 86-year-old memory. My son-in-law who has worked as a mechanic his whole adult life plans to help me two weeks from now as I’m having some shoulder issues.

Robert
Old 12-01-2020, 06:04 PM   #7
aussie merc

lots of luck ive been looking for 12 months mallory was taken over by msd they kept the part nos but got rid of the parts so the only one ive found are from summit but no paperwork on which spring is which and how they effect the curve so you will need a tach and a advance check timing light and lots of time and patience PS ive also posted on here for anyone that has a leftover kit NO REPLIES
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote