Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #21
nkaminar

Default Re: Bone Stock or Modified?

My opinion has changed over the last 60 years. As a teenager I was an advocate of bone stock. Now I am with CarlG and others that modifications that improve reliability and safety, and that do not take away from the Model A experience, are OK. Especially modifications that increase safety, like turn indicators and improvements to the brakes. I am not going to criticize others who want to do more radical modifications or even hot rod a car, but it is not for me.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #22
700rpm

Almost the first question I get when my coupe is parked is, "Does it have a rumble seat?” No, it doesn’t. I changed the rumble seat in my ‘29 54A back to a trunk, as it had when it came from the factory. Rumble seats are not safe nor easy to get in and out of unless you’re under 35, under 6’ tall, and/or weigh less than 180 lbs, and a trunk is much more practical with the small seating up front. Like my other A’s, I made the safety changes, but I love the trunk. It just looks right!

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:50 AM   #23
ironandsteele

I like them all!
Old 11-24-2020, 08:46 AM   #24
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
My opinion has changed over the last 60 years. As a teenager I was an advocate of bone stock. Now I am with CarlG and others that modifications that improve reliability and safety, and that do not take away from the Model A experience, are OK. Especially modifications that increase safety, like turn indicators and improvements to the brakes. I am not going to criticize others who want to do more radical modifications or even hot rod a car, but it is not for me.
There is a real irony in many hobbyist's perception that often things are done to improve safety and/or reliability. When you stop to study those comments, it should quickly be a realization that these cars were very reliable in stock form which is the main reason why they are still with us today. So often, components such as electronic ignition systems, modern steering gearboxes, alternators, et/al as installed under the auspice that it was done to 'make their Model-A a reliable driver' when for 50 years prior, the very same cars were very reliable drivers without those 'upgrades'.

From a safety standpoint, some will argue that cast iron drums are a must when driving today. When you take a moment to consider that original steel drums that are within factory specs will stop well enough to slide the wheels/tires, it begs the question of whether cast drums are really needed. So on that note, most people do not drive their A as it was designed for, -or intended. Therefore it really isn't a safety issue but more of a compensation for poor driving habits. Always descending a hill in the same gear that you would go up the hill is the proper way to preserve brakes. Not charging up to a stop sign or traffic signal before applying the brakes is the proper driving method. I have found that a stock braking system that is properly adjusted can make multiple hard braking stops without any appreciable brake fading. So it isn't that the cast iron drums are needed as a safety item, -it is they are needed to replace worn factory components or to replace prudent driving.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #25
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Almost the first question I get when my coupe is parked is, "Does it have a rumble seat?” No, it doesn’t. I changed the rumble seat in my ‘29 54A back to a trunk, as it had when it came from the factory. Rumble seats are not safe nor easy to get in and out of unless you’re under 35, under 6’ tall, and/or weigh less than 180 lbs, and a trunk is much more practical with the small seating up front. Like my other A’s, I made the safety changes, but I love the trunk. It just looks right!
Why do you say "Rumble seats are not safe"?.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:09 AM   #26
denis4x4

Brent said, "There is a real irony in many hobbyist's perception that often things are done to improve safety and/or reliability".

Brent's post is right to a point. All of the things he mentions are correct....for driving in the 1930's! Durango is a tourist town with a heavy dose of bicyclists that are immune to traffic laws. It's a 40+ mile round trip to the bank and I need to not only keep up with traffic, but watch out for stupid drivers. In Colorado, the law says you have to pull over if five or more cars are behind you on mountain passes. If you're driving a stock A to Silverton, it will take all day on a two lane road.

Again, I don't dispute Brent's points. However there is a lot of difference between driving an A in the thirties then it is today.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:16 PM   #27
McMimmcs

The big radial tires are an immediate indication that this vehicle is not original. And guess what, it’s not!
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:17 AM   #28
Chris Haynes

When I got my first A in 1962 I always wanted a Riley head and juice brakes. Now, nearly 60 years later, I am finally getting it. Also '39 transmission, full pressure oiling, counterbalanced crank, alternator, leak-less pump. Holley carburetor, 16" rims. Why? Because that is what I want.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:01 AM   #29
updraught

It's an off road vehicle.

You are trying to drive in the fast lane.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:28 AM   #30
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
When I got my first A in 1962 I always wanted a Riley head and juice brakes. Now, nearly 60 years later, I am finally getting it. Also '39 transmission, full pressure oiling, counterbalanced crank, alternator, leak-less pump. Holley carburetor, 16" rims. Why? Because that is what I want.
I congratulate you For building your dream but you don’t have a Model A anymore, you have a hot rod.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #31
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
I congratulate you For building your dream but you don’t have a Model A anymore, you have a hot rod.
Are you saying that Chris is no longer welcome here because his car does not meet YOUR criteria for a "Model A"??. This IS a Model A only sight after all. May I ask, what was the point of that post anyway other than to disparage Chris's car with your "you don't have a Model A" comment. Technically, it is a hotrod...a MODEL A hotrod and is no less a Model A than whatever you have (assuming you even have one).
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:05 AM   #32
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post

Do you really need to start this subject again? Not saying what my opinion is. But you do seem to be a bit of a troll, like to take controversial subjects with no real definitive answer and take them down a rabbit hole. Sometimes when someone disagrees with you, you go on the attack to support your opinion, but do not seem to consider others. Sometimes your replies are incendiary comments, no info.

At least in my case, it stifles my involvement in the Barn. I end up proofing my posts 3 or 4 times to insure the post does not give you an opening to chime in with a non helpful, non supported reply.

Maybe I am a little too sensitive, I can not stand bullies. Once I posted something and you went on the attack. My subsequent respectful posts were responded to with bullying, and I soon gave up defending my point of view. Have seen you treat others the same way occasionally

It is sad, the Barn has been very helpful, especially when I was a newbie, probably without the Barn I would have sold my A which I inherited.

I am so glad I have alternatives that do not put up with this behavior. So farewell Ford Barn, I am going cold turkey, will no longer be a part of this forum.

No need to respond, will not see responses, no plans to view or log into this forum anymore.

Adios, fond farewell to the 99.999 % of Barn members - lots of good people on here.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:22 AM   #33
al's28/33

The fordbarn is like life and a box of chocolates …….. you just never know !!!

I like to keep both my "A" and early V8 pickup stock looking. I had the Mitchell and 6 volt alternators but have since removed them for stock generators.

I would like to convert to 12 volt only not to have to replace dead batteries every couple of years.

I appreciate this forum and all the help I have received.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #34
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Why do you say "Rumble seats are not safe"?.
If you are in an accident in your A rumble seat passengers are at a great risk of serious injury. If it is a rear-ender, the seat back can be thrown forward and increase the injury front and back to the person also being thrown forward. If the accident is a T-bone, the car is likely to be tipped over, throwing RS passengers out, especially small children, and children are the most often RS passengers. Our cars are top heavy and light weight compared with SUVs and large pickups, and a T-bone could cause an A to flip onto its top or roll over completely.

Seat belts and seat back stops might help, but in 60 years of owning and driving A’s I have never seen these installed in a rumble, and even if they were, adequate and secure anchoring would be necessary, and could present a false sense of safety.

In any accident now in an A vs a modern car or truck the A is going to lose, but at least in a closed car you have more protection than sitting in an open rumble seat.

Considering today’s cars, speeds, and traffic, these risks are more than I wanted to assume. So I quit letting people ride in my RS and converted it to a trunk. It just seemed like a safe, responsible and practical thing to do.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #35
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Do you really need to start this subject again? Not saying what my opinion is. But you do seem to be a bit of a troll, like to take controversial subjects with no real definitive answer and take them down a rabbit hole. Sometimes when someone disagrees with you, you go on the attack to support your opinion, but do not seem to consider others. Sometimes your replies are incendiary comments, no info.

At least in my case, it stifles my involvement in the Barn. I end up proofing my posts 3 or 4 times to insure the post does not give you an opening to chime in with a non helpful, non supported reply.

Maybe I am a little too sensitive, I can not stand bullies. Once I posted something and you went on the attack. My subsequent respectful posts were responded to with bullying, and I soon gave up defending my point of view. Have seen you treat others the same way occasionally

It is sad, the Barn has been very helpful, especially when I was a newbie, probably without the Barn I would have sold my A which I inherited.

I am so glad I have alternatives that do not put up with this behavior. So farewell Ford Barn, I am going cold turkey, will no longer be a part of this forum.

No need to respond, will not see responses, no plans to view or log into this forum anymore.

Adios, fond farewell to the 99.999 % of Barn members - lots of good people on here.
Wow, that could have been writen by me. My sentiments exactly. here I was thinking I was the only one. There are a few on Ford Barn that I have simply put on my ignore list.

I wish you well, 30 Closed Cab PU. Hope you continue enjoying your Model A without the heartburn.

Last edited by Ruth; 11-25-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #36
wrndln

I agree with 30 Closed Cab PU. I pretty much quit posting here mainly due to some of the comments made by 30 Closed Cab PU. I still check here hoping for some good information on restoration questions, but they are farther apart and fewer of them than some time ago.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #37
34pickup

I no longer have my Model A but I sometimes read these forums. So...why would you let someones post bother you to the point of dropping off the forum? Just ignore it or tell them to kiss your ass. After I turned 70 I found out I don't suffer fools well anymore and just ignore people who are somewhat full of themselves.

Thats my 2¢
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:46 PM   #38
Jeff/Illinois

Wow this went down hill fast!

Started out a simple question, ruffled some feathers
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:03 PM   #39
Mister Moose

I think there's a continuum. On one end, you have the high point authentic restoration, or original unrestored car. On the other end, you have a car that has nothing on it from a Model A except parts of the body steel. Engine, steering, transmission, suspension, brakes, even the frame isn't Model A. How can that still be a Model A? Or to take it to another extreme, I make an entirely custom car and put a Model A headlight bar on it. Is it a Model A? Which part on the car makes it a Model A above all others?

I've frequented a dozen forums. All have strong differences of opinion expressed, and the degree of moderation varies quite a bit. What opinionated comments I see here is on the mild end of the spectrum, and I see no issue in disagreement being expressed. Pay no attention to it, address it, place the author on ignore, but it's not a good reason to leave a forum. (In my view) There's very likely many more readers that value your posts.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:42 PM   #40
Ranchero50

I've spent a lot of time trying to make new stuff look original era. Modified of course as I didn't start with much beyond a chassis. original round tube radiator, headlight and tail light stalks hand made. Good times.