Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
tinmanlsu

Default No Spark

Seeking advise on what else to try on our '29 Phaeton. So far we have replaced the points, distributor body, spark plugs, wiring, condenser (twice), coil (three times), and ignition switch and assembly. We have put a meter on every convincible part and seem to have 6 volts at every point. Tail light works, head lights are not hooked up, horn works. We have tried two separate amp meters and shorted one out when it grounded itself. Car has not run in nearly two years and we have been doing a frame on restoration but it did not run well prior to beginning this. HELP!!
tinmanlsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: No Spark

There should be 6v at the points movable arm when the points are open only.
So, set the distributor so the points are closed and stick a piece of paper between the contacts. Remove the coil wire from the distributor cap and place it about 1/4" from the good ground[ head bolt,etc]. Turn on the key and check for 6v at the the open movable arm. Then remove the paper and open and close the points and Every time the coil fire should throw a spark.
Make sure the stationary points contact is well grounded, that means all the way thru the distributor into the cylinder head.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #3
tinmanlsu

The meter is reading 6 volts at the movable points arm. However, the coil wire is not throwing a spark nor the points. We are on 'new' coil #3.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
Patrick L.

Then your just concerned with the last sentence. If you have 6v at both primary coil terminals and at the points, there is a ground problem. I doubt you have 3 bad coils. Check everything from the points connectors thru to the block. Make sure the condenser is connected correctly.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #5
William Kelchner

I presume the lead from the coil to the cap was changed. I recently went through this no spark when manually operating the points and although it was just one of several problems I wound up swapping out a new set of points with an old set from my junk box. In my case the points were not parallel to each other. Hang in there.
William Kelchner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #6
tinmanlsu

Not sure exactly what we did, but we finally have spark and the engine rolled over twice. Not sure who is more out of gas, me or the car, but we will continue our fight tomorrow. Thanks as always to you wonderful barn people for your ever present help!!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
Keeper79

went through this issue last year on the '29. Fought it for 6 months.

flag terminal where the wire connects to the bar where the armored wire contacts on the bottom plate of the distributor was close enough to make contact with top plate. or closer to the top plate that it would spark there instead of at the points not allowing the coil to fire off. ran into this after cleaning and redoing the distributor. stupid human error that drove me nuts. Found it when i went to redo it again. Pushed it down an 1/8th inch and WooHoo we got fire!!!
Keeper79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:38 PM   #8
Bob C

This is what Keeper79 is talking about. Picture is Marco's.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg distributor-02.jpg (65.8 KB, 79 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Check here;

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showpo...77&postcount=2
Old 01-06-2014, 06:25 AM   #10
Ed Saniewski

Tinman, when you checked the voltage at the points, you said you had 6 volts. Was the ground lead of your tester connected to the distributor body or a head nut? The problem could be a weak ground at the base of the distributor due to paint or dirt. Ed Saniewski

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #11
tinmanlsu

All I can say is you guys are "The MAN(MEN)!!!".

I was so whipped the other nite when we finally got spark that I closed everything down and went to bed...don't even think I showered....PEoeey!! Anyhow, I say Thank you to all you guys who kept posting even after I called it a day/nite!!! Individually, I say...

-Keeper79 and Bob C... Thank you both!! I think that was the final bit I had readdressed just before THE spark...but it will be one of the first I watch for going forward!!

-Mike V... Thank you sir!! I think I had touched on each of your hi-lights but I printed your list to use as a check sheet for next time so I don't miss any!!

-Mr Ed... Thank you sir!! The ground was to a head bolt... on one check... we had checked so many things, kind of got lost as to what was checked, when we checked, what we changed and when we changed it... I had truly reached a point where I was done for the day when we decided to roll it once more before going in and of course she fired...

Thanks again to all you guys and to the barn for being here!!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 PM   #12
Keeper79

glad you got spark. such a great feeling. I spent many evening burning brain cells till that one faithfull night I said "screw it, will redo it again"

then a spark and holly crap we got a spark...
Keeper79 is offline   Reply With Quote