Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-28-2020, 10:23 AM   #1
Michael Lattavo

Default Peking to Paris preparations / modifications

Greetings all! New to the forum, first post.

I am considering the 2021 Peking to Paris rally using a 4 door 1930 Model A. Wondering if anyone here has ever done any rallying, and if there might be some guidance as to modifications I should consider making to the car - secondary fuel tank, suspension/tire mods, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Michael Lattavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Peking to Paris preparations / modifications

I have never run the Peking to Paris however I have successfully run the GreatRace.

My experience has been that modifications are what gives the most stress when rallying or participating in an endurance event. There are a few mods that are suited for the event however most of them can be problematic. My suggestion is completely restore the mechanicals of your vehicle back to the original factory engineer's specifications. I am not a fan of redundant systems. Make sure your engine is properly rebuilt (-by a reputable rebuilder) using a high-compression head, a Stipe camshaft, and parts that have been proven over time for longevity.

As for auxiliary fuel tank(s), I would look towards using two 5-gallon fuel cans. This would basically be equivalent of two fill-ups, with an approximate range of 200-250 miles. As for tires, my nod would be to use stock-sized Goodyears, and set up your vehicle to have multiple spares. This is one exception where I would recommend a 12 volt electrical system. Mechanical brakes with the new cast-iron brake drums will be adequate and reliable.

Good luck and best wishes on your new venture. Also, welcome to Fordbarn, ...the place where the information is the most accurate on the web.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
Michael Lattavo

Thanks so much for the info Brent!
Old 08-28-2020, 11:29 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lattavo View Post
Thanks so much for the info Brent!
Do you have your Fordor already? Post some pictures of it, and tell how you acquired it.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 08-28-2020, 11:37 AM   #5
Michael Lattavo

Not yet, still looking for one online - hopefully in the next several weeks, though! And will definitely post pics...
Old 08-28-2020, 11:55 AM   #6
Jim Brierley

If using a fordor, I would only use a slant-window fordor, the earlier ones had a lot of wood in their bodies, and were heavier. My first choice would be a tudor, but that's up to you. Stay with a basically stock engine, no full-pressure oiling. 12v. as Brent says, higher compression and a late B cam. A hotter cam will do you no good unless a bigger carb is used, and could hurt low-speed torque. Take spare parts, head gasket, carb, distributor, etc. Good luck, and have fun.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
Michael Lattavo

Thanks! And just noticed this site has a sales area, so have started looking here as well.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:36 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lattavo View Post
Thanks! And just noticed this site has a sales area, so have started looking here as well.
Check your e-mail when you get a chance.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 08-28-2020, 12:38 PM   #9
juke joint johnny

It would idea good idea to post your location ,

You never know when a helping hand is nearby

Good Luck and welcomme to the Barn
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:57 PM   #10
Michael Lattavo

Thanks, and great idea! I am in Canton, Ohio (pro football Hall of Fame).
Old 08-28-2020, 01:08 PM   #11
asapguy

A Doctor here in Western Washington took his Victoria on that last year. He had a guy in our area prep his car. They bought two nice rear axles from me when they rebuilt the rear end. I heard it was pretty hard on his car. I understand they hit a hard bump & they had to use lag bolts to secure the body back in place. That's why Jim Brierly said to use a slant window fordor. I could possible get the name of the guy. He came to one of the car clubs I belong to & gave a talk but I didn't go that night.

Last edited by asapguy; 08-28-2020 at 01:14 PM.
asapguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #12
Werner

Guten Abend Michael,

a friend of mine did this made many years ago with his 1952th 6-cyl. Citroen Traction Avant 15 CV. It was very tiring!

He had his own Citroen workshop. There the car was rebuilt with many display instruments, the rear bench away and now with two additional tanks, heating, 2nd battery, 12 volt 40 A generator, bucket seats, many spare wheels and parts, shock absorbers ...

It was a very strenuous ride over hill and dale with plenty of breakdowns (teeth of the gearbox and the Pinion broken off).

But he made it back home to the Netherlands on his own axle.

Viel Glueck!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R 071.jpg (75.2 KB, 40 views)

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #13
Synchro909

This is very timely. It was just last night, we had a meeting of our all makes vintage car club. The guest speaker was a guy who had just done that race in a 1929 (?) Buick Coupe. They came about 3rd last out of about 120 cars but they were sensible and didn't do any of the races etc. They drove to preserve the car, sitting mostly on 40 mph. He said fuel wasn't a problem except that in China and Mongolia, the fuel is high in Xylene which dissolves fuel pump diaphragms and float valves. (use an all brass one). They had no flat tyres
From my experience driving long distances through the Australian outback, an open car is more likely to survive structurally. Heavy doors tend to fall off. That said, it will be a judgement call. Security was an issue with many losing stuff from their cars. Visa and border crossings are an issue with the Chinese being very surly and uncooperative. Corrupt Russian police looking for a bribe was another and money changers at borders would run off with your American $, leaving you empty handed. I'm sure there is more but that is what coming immediately to mind except that the race was won again for the 5th or 6th time straight by an Australian team driving an Australian designed and built Leyland P76 from the early 1970s. Not bad considering the huge $ some put billionaires into their effort with their new Porsches and Ferraris etc. He said that Australian cars took out about 6 of the top 15 places including a 1964 Holden EH. Not bad, considering their age, IMO
As usual, preparation for such an event cannot be done without speaking to someone who has actually been there and done it. My best advice: Talk to someone who has.
Old 08-29-2020, 12:38 AM   #14
abachman3

The owner of D&D restorations has done it twice... perhaps I recall that one was a 32 ford... not quite a Model A. Info on them below... North of Dayton, OH

D&D Classic

2300 Mote Dr.
Covington, Ohio 45318
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:08 AM   #15
Aarongriffey

Some years ago a woman from San Joe, CA. Came to one of our club meetings and told us about her and another lady doing the Peking to Paris Rally.
One thing that stands out in my memory is that at the beginning of her talk she told us a guy with a freshly rebuilt model A threw a rod 20 minutes after the start.
The ladies drove a right hand drive Hillman sedan.
When the other lady was driving the driver went to sleep and crashed on the left side injuring our speaker’s left leg.
She said while driving through Iran they found a dealer of an Iranian version of their Hillman.
Even though women were not allowed to drive in Iran the dealership took care of them and they did make it to Paris.
She wrote a book about the adventure.
I have the book. It describes Avery rough rugged drive.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:03 AM   #16
Aarongriffey

In the mid fifties I drove a 4 cylinder flathead Mercedes with 38 horse power from Germany across Switzerland to Rome, up to Venice, over to Florence and up to Innsbruck Astoria, back across Germany, through Luxumbrg, Belgium, Holland and across the north part of Germany and up through Denmark, ferried to Sweden, drove on the left side of the road to Norway and stopped in Oslo before returning to central Germany.
I carried to G.I. Gas cans behind the back seat until it became obvious I wouldn’t have to worry about get fuel. I poured the gas in my tank and left the cans along the road.
My car’s fuel tank was under the hood on the front side of the firewall.
I could reach down and shut the gas off when going down long mountain roads.
I would not worry about extra fuel tanks but would carry extra cans of gas through parts that have very few gas stations.
I would carry extra water pump packing and start out with a new all metal timing gear.
It should go without saying a spare condenser and coil should be at the top of the list.
A hand crank and a spare generator would be a good idea.
I would use only modern type hose clamps on the water hoses.
And definitely an air filter. Get a good one and attach it to stay!
I would also make sure my new fan belt was a Gates.
Light weight things like a tail light bulb, a wiper blade and a roll of duct tape, a couple head light bulbs a few bungie cords and spare water hoses probably wouldn’t be needed but they are light weight and don’t take up much room.
A passenger’s side tail light could keep you from being stopped by police.
Even with dual fender mount spare wheels and one on the rear I’d get an extra inner tube.
And put a bug screen in front of the radiator just for good luck.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:19 AM   #17
Dodge

There have been several people that have done it in a Model A. My brother in law was thinking of doing it with a 4 door sedan I have. He spoke to some of the people that have
done it and got their recommendations on car prep.
Google Rod Wade Vintage Adventurer.com and see all the place he has run including
The Peking to Paris rally twice.
I think the next one is in 2022 and I think it’s sold out and the waiting list is several years out if memory serves me correctly.
Also when we figured out how much it was going to be to prep the car and put together all
The spares plus entry fees and cost to run the rally, air fair, shipping car, rooms etc. we
were at 50k not including the purchase of a car as I already had one.

Last edited by Dodge; 08-29-2020 at 04:28 AM.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:17 AM   #18
rally 1

Having helped prep various cars for the “Around the World in 80 Day Rally” in 2000, the Panama to Alaska Rally, Great Race, Coker Tire Challenge, and several of my own Model A tourers, preparation for this type of event are critical to finish.

I would change up to 16” solid steel wheels, and use a small light truck tire.
Tube shocks (quality brand, with spares, spare springs and tools to change.
Basically stock engine, with standard tour mods (hi-comp head, air cleaner, etc.)
You and your navigator need to have hands on knowledge of the workings of the brake system, steering, electrical.
Consider changing steering to F-100 (Randy Goss)
Do you have knowledge of the routes, gravel/dirt, pavement,? This will determine what level of prep is needed.
Is this a Phillip Young event? Prep needs to be started NOW.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me off line.
Ken
rally 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:53 AM   #19
updraught

I remember discussing this with a Russian and the crossing of Siberia.
All she said was "the police are SO corrupt!!!".

There was a very entertaining tv series here of the trip in original type cars
You may find a copy on ebay.
Search for:
"PEKING TO PARIS 2 x DVD Set ABC TV Documentary 2006"

"On 15 May 2005 five cars led by Lang Kidby departed Beijing for Paris, retracing the original route with very similar cars to the originals; a 1907 Spyker, a 1907 and a 1912 De Dion-Bouton, a 1907 Itala, and a Contal Cycle-car replica. This journey was televised by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation in a four-part documentary series entitled Peking to Paris. The show was hosted by Warren Brown, one of two drivers on the Itala and a cartoonist with Sydney newspaper The Daily Telegraph. The Australian team, driving westward, met the Italian Fiat 500, driving eastward, in an unplanned meeting, somewhere around Krasnojarsk, Russia."
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:27 AM   #20
Pat/Ohio

[QUOTE=abachman3;1925241]The owner of D&D restorations has done it twice... perhaps I recall that one was a 32 ford... not quite a Model A. Info on them below... North of Dayton, OH

You can read all about Roger James (co-owner of D&D Classic Restorations) and his 1950 Ford Coupe and how they prepared it for the Peking to Paris Run in 2007. Try this link:

https://ddclassic.com/news/Peking07/...ew%20site.html

Roger participated again in 2010. This time driving a 1936 Ford Coupe. Try this link for more info:

https://ddclassic.com/news/Peking10/...ing_paris.html

There is a lot of information on preparing your car for this run.

Good Luck!
Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote