Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2023, 11:29 PM   #1
stickshift

Default Thinking of getting a Model T

My first time posting on the Model T forum. I have a "31 Model AA truck but I am curious about the Model T. I have been studying up on the Model T the last few months and I know about the planetary trans and three pedal shifting. I also know the engine is smaller than a Model A and puts out 20 horsepower. The thing I am worried about is the longevity of the engine and transmission. I hear the engine is only good for about 10 to 20 thousand miles. Do they have a shell bearing kit to transfer away from poured Babbitt? This might make rebuilds easier. I also know the Model T was not made to drive at today's speeds and only safe under 40 MPH. Rear brake addition and two speed rear-end a good addition. Anything else I should know that would make me decide yes or no? Thanks for the input.
stickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 01:22 AM   #2
Dodge

Default Re: Thinking of getting a Model T

With today's oils, dippers on the rods an out side oil line a good babbitt job (I have them do a full thrust on the rear main instead of just the cap.)
Moderate speeds of 35-45 mph. You should be able to drive it for years.
The last rebuild on my motor has been over 25yrs. with plenty of driving on it and it's
still going strong. Yes on the rear brakes and Ruckstell rear end.
Also a higher compression head will help a bunch. Mild cam if you want.

Try it you'll like it.....
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 07:22 AM   #3
CatMan1

If you have the money and room for one, get it it! You'll be glad you did. Back in 2021 I bought a '28 Sport Coupe and last year decided to buy a Model T. I found a '26 Roadster. It's been a lot of work at times, but it's so very interesting. I am looking to get a Model TT, but not sure where to put it. You might want to join a local Model T club. I haven't yet because I'm just too busy. I know there are faster, more easier driving vehicles out there, but the T just holds my fascination!
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 02:27 PM   #4
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshift View Post
I also know the Model T was not made to drive at today's speeds and only safe under 40 MPH. Rear brake addition and two speed rear-end a good addition. Anything else I should know that would make me decide yes or no? Thanks for the input.
Here is a true story of a man, his Model T and his friend in a model A.
These two fellows were best buddies and traveled together during all the club events. The leader of the two had a 1914 model T touring car with white wooden spokes which led to his nickname of Willie White wheels. The other had a 1929 Model A roadster Pickup and always followed Willie.
They drove those cars at sixty miles an hour most of the time. Long time members never reacted much but when a new member showed up they were astonished and the regular group would say don't worry that's how Bill and Dean drive all the time. The two drove across Canada for Canada's centennial tour in 1967. When they reached Ottawa bill drove up the concrete steps to the door of the Parliament buildings. Bill changed two crankshafts during that trip but I'm not sure why.
Bill was a member of the Model T assembly teem that would set out the parts of a T and were timed for how long it took to put it together, crank it up and drive it away. They advertised taking ten minutes but fooled around to make it take that long.
Bill, lived in Niagara falls and would say, if you're ever at the falls, drop in.
I'm not sure if this helps but might be Enough to get your decision to the tipping point.

Last edited by Model "A" Fords; 08-29-2023 at 08:30 PM.
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 12:20 PM   #5
trulyvintage

Arrow Thinking of getting a Model T

Like all vehicles - power train condition depends
on what work was done along with who did it
and when it was done.

That - varies from car to car.

I just dropped off this 1926 Model T Roadster
to Dean Yoder in Iowa City, Iowa on Monday
that was passed from Uncle to Nephew.

The nephew was told it just needed a new
carburetor - but as is often the case - it
will need more than that.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7059.jpg (33.6 KB, 200 views)
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 05:25 PM   #6
Kelly mt

Buy the best car you can afford, then plan on going through every component over a winter. It's good to know what you really have. Outboard aux brakes are a must. One of my T's got new babitt in 1966, it's still good and I drive it a lot. Best of luck.
Kelly mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 08:13 PM   #7
stickshift

Thanks for the good advice from all of you. I'm wondering if there are still plenty of shops that can do a good job with Babbitt? Not as much of a demand like years ago, or the know-how I would think. I'll let you all know if I take the Model T plunge. I'm waiting for the right one. I sure wish these old cars could talk...plenty of stories going back 100 years or more. They are survivors for sure.
Old 09-02-2023, 08:01 AM   #8
Model "A" Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickshift View Post
Thanks for the good advice from all of you. I'm wondering if there are still plenty of shops that can do a good job with Babbitt
Ron's machine shop in Shandon Ohio. They did my Model A numbers matching cracked engine. I'm a very fussy tool maker and dreaded letting the engine out of sight. To my surprise they are just as fussy and I recommend them with no hesitation!
Model "A" Fords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 08:02 AM   #9
Robert/Texas

Another choice could be Liliker's in College Station, Texas. He did a great job rebuilding the engine in my Model A roadster around 15 years ago. mrmodelt.com

Last edited by Robert/Texas; 09-03-2023 at 08:08 AM.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 06:15 PM   #10
Sunny the Model A

don't fret too much about babbitt, if you drive sensibly, it will outlive you. if it needs babbitt work, ask for 4X Nickel babbitt, it's the same stuff Caterpillar uses in their diesel engines. Gas Turbines often have babbitt as well. keep the speed under 40 if bone stock and drive it till the wheels fall off.
Old 10-08-2023, 05:18 PM   #11
stickshift

Well, I went and did it! I took the Model T plunge and brought home a 1915 touring. I spent the last week going over it and it seems very sound. No rust anywhere. Wood is solid. The engine has a 12 volt conversion and a distributor with a starter motor added. Rocky mountain brakes and a Ruckstell rear-end. I don't think it's been driven much, because the brake lever would only pull back to the middle of travel due to the rear brake rods being too tight, I adjusted them to get the handle back more but the pawl isn't catching. I ordered both the pawl and spring among other things. The forward band was too tight because I noticed it would creep forward when I started it. Loosened the band, but still grabbing a little when standing still. Starts easy with the crank or button. No funny engine sounds and no white smoke out the tailpipe. I'll be asking a lot of questions soon because this is a totally different animal from my '31 AA.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_4041.jpg (95.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_4049.jpg (119.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_4042.jpg (101.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_4044.jpg (76.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_4045.jpg (87.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_4050.jpg (93.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_4052.jpg (52.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-08-2023, 05:54 PM   #12
mhsprecher

Congrats. Looks like a good car set up for driving. Do you need to change your forum name to Pedalshift now?
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2023, 06:02 PM   #13
stickshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
Congrats. Looks like a good car set up for driving. Do you need to change your forum name to Pedalshift now?
Pedalshift has a good ring to it LOL. I'm having a hard time getting used to the Pedals. I keep pushing the left one when I want to stop like it's a clutch, but the car keeps going of course. Also the lack of a foot feed is hard to get used to. A lot of things going on at the same time when driving one of these for sure.
Old 10-09-2023, 01:10 PM   #14
HDowse

Very nice car! To get used to the 'clutch' pedal when stopping, try pulling the brake handle half way back before you stop. This puts the pedal down far enough to get 'neutral' and the you can brake to a stop. If I’m in a busy area, I start out the same way. Release the brake handle to half way, push the low pedal to get moving - or to stop if you need to- and accelerate in low, release the brake handle with low engaged and then let the pedal out to get high gear. You’ll get the hang of it after a while.
Another good hint. Don’t feather the low pedal. Try to engage low at a low rpm and do that fairly quickly. That reduces the wear on the low band and keeps the low drum from over heating. Do you have the Model T service book? Black cover, Lang's and Snyder's carry it.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 05:53 PM   #15
stickshift

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDowse View Post
Do you have the Model T service book? Black cover, Lang's and Snyder's carry it.
The old gentleman that I bought the car from gave me some books that he got when he bought the car. I haven't read at them yet, but they look like the typical manuals that come with a car when bought from the dealer. Are these similar to what Snyders or Langes would sell?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_4055.jpg (41.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-11-2023, 07:06 PM   #16
400A

Good luck with your new toy!
400A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 05:16 PM   #17
Bl@zing

It’s a nice car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bl@zing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 12:47 AM   #18
Geokop

That's nice! The touring model is my favorite. Keep us posted as to how your ownership is going, and what you're doing to keep your car roadworthy. Thanks for sharing!
Geokop is offline   Reply With Quote