Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
mtd1960

Default Roadster pickup questions. 28-29

I am building a28-28 roadster pickup with original cowl and doors. Couple of questions

1- is there a good reference as to what body parts I need to complete? Drawings diagrams etc?

2- thinking of going with the extended cab version (6'1",250) or is there enough room in a stock style ?

Thanks for any input

PS it will be fenderless powered by model A engine with some mods
mtd1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Roadster pickup questions. 28-29

For what you need I would check out the companies making aftermarket bodies for illustrations in their catalogues. By the time you leave most of the "good stuff" off (fenderless) there isn't much left. Do you have any specific questions? What is the extended cab version, an idea dreamed up by somebody making aftermarket bodies (probably a good idea)? The only way to know if there is enough room is to sit in one. I have never owned one but have heard they are tight and it would be good to check it out. If you included your general location in your post (and profile) someone might suggest a place to see some vehicles or bodies.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
tootsie

I have owned mine since 1969 and have grown a little over the years. at 6' 2" and 225 I sometimes struggle a little, particularly in the fall when I am wearing heavier clothing. If you aren't going for purity then the extended cab is probably a good idea cause based on my experience we are not getting smaller with the years!
tootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Ray in La Mesa

Brookfield makes extended p/u cabs by about 6" but they lengthen it in the 1/4 panel behind the door. You have more leg room once you're in but getting in & out is still tight. If you are serious about lengthening the cab, I would do it in the doors. It would be more work. I lengthened my pickup bed two feet in 1976 but now that I'm older, wider & less agile I wish I had lengthened the body in the doors too. I did contemplate it then but being young & agile I did'nt do it.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote