Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Hook

Default Cracked steering column

I pulled the steering column from my 1930 PU as the two tooth steering gear is leaking like a sieve. I discovered a crack in the steering column just below the spark and gas rod control arms that goes about 2/3 of the way around the column. Is this common or unusual, and can I just have it welded or do I need to replace?

I just got the PU back from the paint shop. I thought most of the mechanical part had been restored by the previous owners, so I was hoping to drive it a little to develop a list of winter projects. However, per a prior thread and suggestion I've discovered that at least the steering parts weren't so I'm going through everything to at least understand how bad things are. I've learned a ton by using the search functions and reading the threads every day, so have already attacked a number of items saving me future headaches.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 08-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
ScottNW/Ohio

Default Re: Cracked steering column

You can probably weld it or have it welded, unless you happen on to a good used one
I think the lengths can vary on these, so be sure to measure yours
I am kind of curious as to how yours cracked - was the clamp loose at the base (where it clamps on to the cast housing, or wes the insulating rubber missing from the upper column clamp ?
ScottNW/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
Hook

I suspect it was cracked over the years when the PU was under restoration and the column wasn't supported properly. It seems this must be unusual damage from since I've not found anything using the search function.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I have read that before and even seen it on my sons car. We just welded it up.
Old 08-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
juke joint johnny

I have seen lots of cracked and broken ones over the years, with farmer fix patches and welds on them . I would imagine loose body mount bolts and the frame twisting
on the " improved roads" [ see earlier thread] had a lot to do with it. Yours was probably cracked long ago and the restorer thought he could get away with it, or didn't notice it

It can be repaired quite easily by a competent welder Tig would be my favorite .
But if he has a staw hat and smells of cow dung or Hair like a Gorilla !!! take it somewhere else or it might end up on the scrap heap like so many others!!!

John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
columbiA

If you saw what the average country road was like 60+ years ago you will know why so many columns are cracked! It shouldnt be too dificult to find a good one.In Feb 1930 the column was made 1" longer & the steering column bracket was shortened about 3/8".
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
Aerocraft

I purchased a '29 Briggs 155B that had a steering column which was cracked completely around the tube at the exit of the spark / gas rods. Thought I could easily drive it the 30 miles home which actually was much more difficult than I imagined. Every time I turned the wheel it also moved the spark or gas levers!

Rather than weld it, I opted to replace the column since I had a number of them in stock. Had I welded it, as a certified aircraft welder, I would have added a reinforcement "patch" on the outside diameter which would have been ugly to the purist.

Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
KGBnut

Mine cracked about a year after I got her on the road (after a 47 year storage). She shows evidence of a front end wreck, probably back in the 50s. I think my crack started then.

My steering box needed attention anyway, so I pulled the whole thing out, got the steering box rebuilt, and replaced the tube at the same time.

Ken
Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
Purdy Swoft

I've never had one to crack in use. I've seen lots of cracked, patched and welded column tubes in cars and parts that I have bought. I have gas welded a few. Warpage is the main problem when attempting to weld the column tube and a decent job isn't easy. I prefer to replace the tube. Berts has them.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
jrapose

I weld mine...and I have had several ones that were cracked...probably just the frame and body flex that caused it..

Once I had a 29 pickup that had a bind in the steering...I was 17 and broke...then driving home one day with my girlfriend the steering wheel broke off...I had a wheel in my hands but no steering...we were doing about 50mph downhill...the sides of the road were sharp down...yep, I shut everything off, slowed er down as best I could I knew once I hit the brakes it would pull hard to the right...so when I finally hit the brakes and pulled the emergency brake it skidded some...then went off the embankment...probably about 60' to the bottom..... luckly the emergency brake locked the rear wheen and the left rear wheel caught a 4" edge of the roadway...the truck was hanging over the edge held only with that piece of edgeing and locked wheel....we quickly got out....I hichhiked home got a complete steering setup from another car...and recovered my car...a drunk with a Falcon and a short piece of chain pulled us out...my trailer hitch in the back of my truck removed his Falcon emblem from his hood.... I was real sorry to loose that girlfriend...and no real damage to the truck...othe than I now am very careful about things that bind...
especially steering stuff... that was almost 50 years ago...still miss that girl.

Joel in Chester
jrapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
juke joint johnny

Thats some story Joel !!!! That poor girl you must have scared her half to death!!!

You couldn't run out of gas like most people had to do something Spectacular to impress her!!!

I bet she hasn't forgotten either even after 50 years

John Cochran
juke joint johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
Larry Seemann

The steering box is bolted securely to the frame and the steering tube is fastened securely to the gas tank and the frame is pretty flexible and most frames sag at the rear motor mounts and the car was driven over some mighty rough terrain for 80+ years - why would it be a surprise that the tubes crack and the tank mounts develop leaks? Or, in other words, as the frame flexes the tube and gas tank mount endure some pretty severe stresses. I've seen many cracked steering tubes. The good news is they can be welded. The gas tank mount takes a little more effort to cure.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #13
Fred K-OR

My column was cracked on my huckster when I rebuilt it. I had it welded by a qualified welder. Did a great job and you could not tell it had been done. I had it completely apart when I had it done-that is wheel off, all rods removed and box below opened.

Being yours is 2/3 broken, would it be a good idea to make sure when they weld it, it remains straight?
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #14
Hook

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/hamb/attach/jpg.gif

I have really good welder/fabricator just around the corner from me. I think I'll see what he can do with it first. Hopefully he can fix it and I can move on to the next issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering column.jpg (20.9 KB, 70 views)
Old 08-02-2012, 07:18 PM   #15
KGBnut

Yup, that's how mine looked.

I had been driving mine all day with no trouble. I didn't notice the problem until I went to fire her up again to put her in the garage. When I retarded the spark, the whole column turned... Just felt weird.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGBnut View Post
Yup, that's how mine looked.

I had been driving mine all day with no trouble. I didn't notice the problem until I went to fire her up again to put her in the garage. When I retarded the spark, the whole column turned... Just felt weird.
KGBnut,
'Afore you drive it agin, be SURE to compensate for the RETARDED STEERING, 'Cause iffin' you runn over your Honey's posies, you're in deep POO-POO!
Bill W.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
socalplanedoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft View Post
Rather than weld it, I opted to replace the column since I had a number of them in stock. Had I welded it, as a certified aircraft welder, I would have added a reinforcement "patch" on the outside diameter which would have been ugly to the purist.
But it would have been beautiful to a tube and fabric airplane guy
socalplanedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #18
stanley07

Mine is broken in two and shows signs of several welds. Where can I get a new steering column?
stanley07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley07 View Post
Mine is broken in two and shows signs of several welds. Where can I get a new steering column?
Bert's in Denver. 800-321-1931 closed Sundays and Mondays.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote