Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-06-2016, 04:25 AM   #1
3.6rs

Default Muffler/exhaust fixation to chassis

Is it correct that the rear exhaust fixation clamp is directly bolt on to the bottom of the chassis, without using a silent bloc ?
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:56 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Muffler/exhaust fixation to chassis

Yes
Old 12-06-2016, 05:58 AM   #3
3.6rs

And wouldn't it be better to put the clamp on some sort of silent bloc ?
Old 12-06-2016, 06:07 AM   #4
RonC

Why do you want to change it? is yours making noise?
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:11 AM   #5
3.6rs

No noise but I recently replaced my broken exhaust manifold by a new one and it seems that something does not fit well. ( I think that is why I had the crack at cyl nr; 4). So I guess with a silentbloc on the rear pipe that it would be better.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:18 AM   #6
Manager

I found the same thing with my car. Couldn't get the exhaust to seal on the manifold, it just sat wrong, so I did exactly what you are talking about to get the flare to sit straight on the manifold.I say go for it.
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:22 AM   #7
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manager View Post
I found the same thing with my car. Couldn't get the exhaust to seal on the manifold, it just sat wrong, so I did exactly what you are talking about to get the flare to sit straight on the manifold.I say go for it.

I have a bunch of used silent blocs from newer cars that I can use for that, but do you have a picture of how you solved it ?
Old 12-06-2016, 06:29 AM   #8
Manager

I acctually didn't use a silent block, Just a 1" long piece of about 3/4 dia tube and a longer bolt to raise it up. But your idea of a silent block is better and I will probably copy it. The suppliers also sell a piece of exhaust pipe with a taper that fits up in the manifold and down in the pipe to try to fix the problem but I havn't tried that.From the Early Ford Store Site:

1928-31 Exhaust Manifold Sleeve
[A-5234]
$5.85

Click to enlarge Fits all 1928-1934 4 Cylinder engines. This metal sleeve is not an original Ford part, but fits inside of the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe fits over it to help prevent exhaust leaks. Sold separately is the copper seal that should be used with this sleeve, it uses part number "A-5251-ES".
This product was added to our catalog on Sunday 05 October, 2008.
Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:32 AM   #9
3.6rs

Ok. Thanks
Old 12-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #10
aermotor

I replaced my muffler using a floor jack to get everything lined up and loosely snugged up the manifold clamp. Then I went back and reformed the tail pipe clamp to fit the pipe with a generous slip fit all around the clamp, it looks like it is supposed to be. I believe the clamp was original - just man handled in the past. I then went back and tightened the manifold clamp and checked that I still had the slip fit on the tail pipe. No silent rear hanger. I also think most exhaust to manifold mating problems may be caused by a sagging manifold at the #4 cylinder, I did have to replace my sagging manifod. But, which came first - the chicken or the egg? IMO the tube insert restricts the exhaust discharge.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:34 AM   #11
mike657894

I think its common for the repro mufflers to be off a few degrees. I put mine in a vise and used the long end to leverage a bend of about 5 degrees. I think my pipe is 70s repro. I also recommend using a sleeve.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:46 AM   #12
Bob Bidonde

This is way too much info regarding the exhaust system, but it is worthwhile knowing.

The muffler assembly clamp on the right frame rail has an important characteristic. Although it supports the tail pipe, it should allow the pipe to slide and rotate in the clamp. By allowing movement of the pipe, the clamp relieves bending stresses at the exhaust manifold. The movement of the tail pipe is forced by flexing of the frame, movement of the engine and thermal expansion.

Another important feature of the exhaust system are the four cupped washers in the attachments of the exhaust manifold to the engine. Those washers are made of leaf spring material, so the cupped washers are actually springs that accommodate thermal expansion of the cylinder block, the mounting studs and exhaust manifold. The concave surface of the washers should face the engine. To act as springs, the washers should not be flattened from over tightening the nuts.

Although there is Ford literature indicating that the gland rings in the exhaust ports were discontinued, this was not the case and the use of the gland rings continued into Model B engine production. The steel gland rings are supposed to prevent burnout of the exhaust manifold gasket. However, the gap in the gland rings needs to be at 3 or 9 o'clock to give the maximum gasket life. Also, be sure that the gland ring gap at room temperature is 0.06".
Old 12-06-2016, 08:18 AM   #13
aermotor

Just curious, if the #4 position of the manifold was, say - 3/16" low can anyone calculate how low the tail pipe would be at the hanger with a correctly bent new muffler/tail pipe? Did the hanger cause the manifol drop or the manifod drop cause the hanger/clamp misalingment? Not that it realy matters.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

SOMETIMES the manifold gets RED hot & the weight of the exhaust causes the back end to DROOP. I've "thought" about a flat iron strap, welded to the headpipe & extending to a manifold mounting stud, to support it.
Bill W.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:27 AM   #15
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

its your car, put a silent block on if you wish. No big deal. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:39 AM   #16
AL in NY

I too had to bend the exhaust pipe in front of the muffler to achieve a proper fit to the exhaust manifold. Also, be sure the manifold clamp is assembled in the proper orientation to achieve tight fit. I also used a tailpipe hanger behind the muffler to isolate any exhaust vibration from the frame. The rubber hanger also allows for exhaustpipe/muffler expansion without stressing the exhaust manifold. Here is a photo of my homemade hanger. The hanger also holds the tailpipe at the correct stock height.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tail Pipe Hanger02 smaller.jpg (36.1 KB, 185 views)
Old 12-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #17
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
I too had to bend the exhaust pipe in front of the muffler to achieve a proper fit to the exhaust manifold. Also, be sure the manifold clamp is assembled in the proper orientation to achieve tight fit. I also used a tailpipe hanger behind the muffler to isolate any exhaust vibration from the frame. The rubber hanger also allows for exhaustpipe/muffler expansion without stressing the exhaust manifold. Here is a photo of my homemade hanger. The hanger also holds the tailpipe at the correct stock height.

That's what I have in mind to do.
Old 12-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #18
BILL WILLIAMSON

Any power train/exhaust stuff that can be isolated by RUBBER, makes the car SO much quieter ! That's why Model A's sound like they're TEARING up the motor, past 45 MPH!
Minerva just went HMMMMMN, at all speeds, even up to 70 MPH.
BUT, I'm TIRED, I'll just leave Vermin STOCK.
Bill Quiet
Old 12-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
SOMETIMES the manifold gets RED hot & the weight of the exhaust causes the back end to DROOP. I've "thought" about a flat iron strap, welded to the headpipe & extending to a manifold mounting stud, to support it.
Bill W.
I thought it was a KUZHAUST thats what you taught me
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:50 PM   #20
Synchro909

When I got my Phaeton, the front of the muffler where the engine pipe enters was dented. It finally cracked there so I welded it up. It cracked again so I rewelded and fitted a gusset. No more problems for a long while. To help the manifold, I mounted a spring between gusset at the front of the muffler and the engine mount to take some of the weight off the manifold. It seems that the bend that was in the muffler when I got the car had started a crack in the perforated pipe that runs the whole length of the muffler inside. Vibration over many thousands of miles resulted in the front 12" or so of the pipe breaking off and falling to the bottom of the muffler causing one helluva rattle. It didn't take long to find the cause. To fix it, I made a Tee shaped cut in the front of the muffler, extracted the broken piece of pipe and welded it shut again. It is still that way. The car still sounds like a Model A but with a little "attitude". I smile to myself every time someone says "That car sounds good".
I suggest to anybody concerned about their manifold sagging to put a spring around the engine pipe and secure it to the engine mount to take the weight.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:34 PM   #21
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I thought it was a KUZHAUST thats what you taught me
It's KZHAUST & I spelt it right, in case sumone uses the SEARCH feature
dAD
Old 12-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #22
RonC

The Aries muffler has the correct flange and seals good. A repro manifold and Aries muffler will make your A sound like it should leak free
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:18 PM   #23
Synchro909

Back to the original question. I believe the clamp is bolted on top of the bottom flange of the chassis. Anybody else? Confirm or otherwise??
That said, I stop the rattles from that bracket by wrapping a single layer of masking tape around the pipe where it goes through the clamp. If needs be, I put a spacer over the bolt to prevent it being done up too tight, yet tight enough to stay put. I then fill the gap between the clamp and the pipe with silicone. You don't have to drive far for the masking tape to burn off or at least get hot enough to lose its stickiness. The silicone will withstand more heat than the exhaust will get back there so you end up with the pipe free to slide in a silicone sleeve which won't rattle. If you wipe away excess silicone, no body will ever see, not that anybody other than a judge will get under to look.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:33 PM   #24
ian Simpson

I have a stock, albeit repro, setup on our Tudor. It is leak free, but I cannot get the BUZZ out of the rear clamp. I am contemplating a silent block at the frame connection with the clamp tight around the pipe.

Last edited by ian Simpson; 12-06-2016 at 11:34 PM. Reason: dislexic typing
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 02:41 AM   #25
Chuck Sea/Tac

I either got an oversized clamp or reworked it a little large, and then lined it with welding cloth. It's quiet and still allows the tailpipe to move the 1/2" as it heats and cools.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #26
goodoldvic

"Back to the original question. I believe the clamp is bolted on top of the bottom flange of the chassis. Anybody else? Confirm or otherwise??

I agree and confirm that's the way I attached mine
goodoldvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #27
3.6rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldvic View Post
"Back to the original question. I believe the clamp is bolted on top of the bottom flange of the chassis. Anybody else? Confirm or otherwise??

I agree and confirm that's the way I attached mine
That was my initial question, and also how mine was attached. I'm making it now with a silent bloc like others did or suggested in this thread.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:32 AM   #28
100IH

In reference to post 25, You are right goodoldvic, Bracket on top of the lower flange of the frame channel. About 1/3 of the pipe dia. lies below, The 2/3 of the pipe is above the flange with the original bracket. I believe that the support bracket fits somewhat snug to the pipe and is a little loose where the bolt goes through the frame for the expansion. The bolt and castle nut with cotter is adjusted to provide movement. There is a good drawing in the service bulletins index muffler p.327.

Last edited by 100IH; 12-07-2016 at 10:42 AM.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 11:13 AM   #29
Benson

Ford issued at least one updated clamp for the rear muffler hanger.

There at least two positions that Ford recommended for the location of the holes in the frame to mount the original clamps or revised clamps and a diagram that shows where to drill the new hole for the revised clamp.

So if clamp does not fit you might have the hole in the wrong place depending upon which style clamp that you have!

I don't have the S Bulletins handy to look up the page or pages.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #30
CarlG

I am using the same idea as AL in NY (post #15). Mine looks a little different, but it's the same idea.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:06 PM   #31
Mitch//pa
BANNED

But thats not factory looking and takes away from the shake rattle and roll thats supposed to be present. I bet Henry is PISSED....
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #32
CarlG

I haven't had a whole lot of people looking under there to see how I supported the KZHAUST pipe.

Most are still in shock over seeing my alternator. (among other things)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 06:17 PM   #33
AL in NY

If someone wants to crawl under my Model A and tell me that's not what "Henry" did, well then they can "Knock themselves out".
As for me, I enjoy the quieter ride".
Old 12-07-2016, 07:05 PM   #34
GPierce

Here is my fix. Hardware came from o'Reily's Auto Parts and I modified it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1204.jpg (73.3 KB, 90 views)
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote