Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2016, 07:21 AM   #1

Default He is back again, 1931 Victoria

Ebay #112223672558, Guess he spends much time locating these cars.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.
Default Re: He is back again, 1931 Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
Ebay #112223672558, Guess he spends much time locating these cars.
Let him be, why does it matter or why do you care! Why do you have a problem with him? If it's just because he sells more than once, Have a look at the repeats in our Swap Meet. I. Have given this post one star! Wayne

Last edited by C26Pinelake; 12-03-2016 at 05:54 PM.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:58 AM   #3
mhsprecher

Nice looking car.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #4
160B

here is the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Ford-Mo...m=112223672558

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #5
Vern

I don't get your comment "He is back again...."
Is this a seller with a reputation?
The car offered looks pretty good at a glance, I've seen lesser Victoria's go for much more.
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
zzlegend

Second time you posted about this guy. What's the problem?
A. You don't like him?
B. He has nice cars and you are jealous?
Sorry Ryan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but this thread deserves a one star rating. And maybe not even that.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #7
art ebeling

This is the 3rd negative posting about this seller. I mentioned in July post it looked like in the past he had some very nice Model A's for sale, some of his videos are still on youtube. Why the alerts about this seller?
art ebeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
eagle

Thats a beautiful car! I love my Fordor but would take a Victoria over the Fordor.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #9
CarlG

Just the car I would want -- IF I could afford a second one.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #10
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
Thats a beautiful car! I love my Fordor but would take a Victoria over the Fordor.
Seems I'm the odd man out.
I never cared for the small back seat area in the Victoria and would prefer the Fordor.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #11
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
I don't get your comment "He is back again...."
Is this a seller with a reputation?
The car offered looks pretty good at a glance, I've seen lesser Victoria's go for much more.
I concur.. I don't understand that as well. I have met Joe before checking out a car for someone ( which was purchased) and he was a very fair straight shooter gentleman. Yes, he sells cars... but I would put him at the top of the list of selling nice cars and being upstanding instead of bashing him. Again, I've met him, dealt with him, been to his home and I give him a 10 out of 10. Maybe even an 11 as he goes out of his way.

Looks like a nicely restored Victoria.. if you haven't done one you won't know but it takes a lot to do this body style. This looks like a super nice car. Only thing I heard from the video as it probably needs a manifold resurface and gasketing as it has a slight exhaust tick. They all need something!

If he is being bashed I'd like to know why?

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:37 PM   #12
JJASON

Looks like a very nice car,whats the problem. Man can post it as much as he wants
JJASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #13
ronn

I never cared for the small back seat area in the Victoria and would prefer the Fordor.

It's all in the aesthetics Tom

a Victoria has graceful curves.............. like the figure of a woman.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #14
eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I have an idea Tom, buy me this one and I'll give you mine! In all seriousness, I really like the Fordor as I have lots of room for passengers and its easy in/easy out compared to the Tudor, but a VICKY! Wow! love the looks.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:16 PM   #15
Great Lakes Greg

I bid 15K. Wishful thinking.
Great Lakes Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:36 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
Second time you posted about this guy. What's the problem?
A. You don't like him?
B. He has nice cars and you are jealous?
Sorry Ryan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but this thread deserves a one star rating. And maybe not even that.
He is back again, very simply means, look at the car he has now. He sells in my opinion many very good looking Model As, where is the bashing? Where does the thread say I don't like him? How Iam I bashing him? Its amazing, first I was told you must be his friend, now Iam told, I must be jealous and do not like him. Where is the problem?
Old 12-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

Anyone know WHY it was called a "VICTORIA"? That's a CLASSY name!
Chief always said, "Call me ANYTHING, as long as you call me for SUPPER"!
Bill Hungry
Old 12-04-2016, 08:36 AM   #18
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

It was your connotation in your title. You could gave picked your thread title better. He had been Previously bashed for no Good and I mean mean no good reason. You became the hunted instead of the hunter! Wayne
Old 12-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #19
aermotor

My questions and answers don't carry much weight on this forum - I guess because I am new to model A's and can't add anything that isn't already known. In this case I do know this: I'm with 1929's last post and also wondering why now he is being bashed. ??? It seems in gereral that lately flames are headed to a forest fire.

John

Last edited by aermotor; 12-04-2016 at 08:45 AM.
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #20
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
My questions and answers don't carry much weight on this forum - I guess because I am new to model A's and can't add anything that isn't already known. In this case I do know this: I'm with 1929's last post and also wondering why now he is being bashed. ??? It seems in gereral that lately flames are headed to a forest fire.

John
Sometimes we are the creator rather than the victim. If you don't want fire don't carry matches. Wayne
Old 12-04-2016, 09:33 AM   #21
zzlegend

You might want to read my post again. Never said you were friends with him. Just wondering why you like to post about him when ever he sells a car? Which also looks like he has a very nice collection. So what if he spends a lot of time collecting them. They are his and all very nice. Looks like a few others on here also wonder why you post and word your thread like this. Some times post like this bring out the experts who like to pick every small thing on the car apart. Just like the 1931 Phaeton. Which was also a really nice car. There's a whole lot of "A"'s on ebay, maybe you should post them also. Hey its his car, let him sell it. Maybe nest time you should word the post a little different. If I ever restored one or ever bought one restored, this would be the last place I would post about it. But all is good because that will never happen in my life time. Have a nice day.
Old 12-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #22
tbirdtbird
BANNED

there was not a single derogatory word in 1929's original post.

On to next thread, please
Old 12-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlegend View Post
You might want to read my post again. Never said you were friends with him. Just wondering why you like to post about him when ever he sells a car? Which also looks like he has a very nice collection. So what if he spends a lot of time collecting them. They are his and all very nice. Looks like a few others on here also wonder why you post and word your thread like this. Some times post like this bring out the experts who like to pick every small thing on the car apart. Just like the 1931 Phaeton. Which was also a really nice car. There's a whole lot of "A"'s on ebay, maybe you should post them also. Hey its his car, let him sell it. Maybe nest time you should word the post a little different. If I ever restored one or ever bought one restored, this would be the last place I would post about it. But all is good because that will never happen in my life time. Have a nice day.
I agree with you 100%, I like the cars he sells too, there are many Model As on Ebay that I wont post, I just wonder how he finds only ones that in my opinion look real good. The problem here is you have to be implicit so threads are not interpreted out of context. Its all just a discussion of are interests in the Model A.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #24
SeaSlugs

Lets all back up a moment as I think some wires got crossed - it is VERY hard to interpret the "tone" of how someone says something over the internet. Also we all have our local dialects where a string of words can generally be taken negatively but another local dialect it could be neutral or positive.

It is a very nice model A and some people just have the knack (and or funds) and time to go over in every detail to buy nice model A's for a good price to flip them. If I had all 3 I probably would too haha.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #25
JJASON

Man needs to put his words down correctly,its plain and simple
Old 12-04-2016, 03:55 PM   #26
BILL WILLIAMSON

I'm glad no one corrects MIS-SPELIN'----
bILL w.
Old 12-04-2016, 05:13 PM   #27
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

Inuendos are in the brain of the reader..
Old 12-04-2016, 05:22 PM   #28
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins View Post
Inuendos are in the brain of the reader..
In u endo is in your butt! Wayne
Old 12-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #29
JJASON

plain, is the correct spelling,look it up.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:22 PM   #30
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
I agree with you 100%, I like the cars he sells too, there are many Model As on Ebay that I wont post, I just wonder how he finds only ones that in my opinion look real good. The problem here is you have to be implicit so threads are not interpreted out of context. Its all just a discussion of are interests in the Model A.
X2. All is good.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:22 PM   #31
larrys40

1929.... I would suggest instead of starting a thread like "He's back again" that it does have a negative connotation. Why nut just post there's a super nice '31 Victoria on ebay. As Vince said you can't begin to restore one for probably what the asking price is.

It's a beautiful car for sure.. I read it several times before I posted and had a negative impact from the title like some others... That's all. I know the guy.. he's great. Why not just say how a great looking Victoria is on ebay.

We all speak differently and I understand that. All the best to you guys.. hopefully someone on the Barn will find it at home in their garage.
All the best to you!
Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 10:10 PM   #32
mhsprecher

I don't know if there is any documentation on the history of the Victoria, but it looks to me like an one of Edsel's European-influenced designs. I always liked it, regardless of how large the back seat was. I guess it was never all that popular. The name lived on, until recently, as you all know, revived in 1955 as the Crown Victoria and again a few decades later as the name for the full size Ford.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:43 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
1929.... I would suggest instead of starting a thread like "He's back again" that it does have a negative connotation. Why nut just post there's a super nice '31 Victoria on ebay. As Vince said you can't begin to restore one for probably what the asking price is.

It's a beautiful car for sure.. I read it several times before I posted and had a negative impact from the title like some others... That's all. I know the guy.. he's great. Why not just say how a great looking Victoria is on ebay.

We all speak differently and I understand that. All the best to you guys.. hopefully someone on the Barn will find it at home in their garage.
All the best to you!
Larry
Larry, I tried that the first time I saw one of his cars, I said it was the best Model A I ever saw, I was beat up by a few on that, and was asked if he was my friend. That is why I posted a very short sentence: He is back with a 31 Vicky. I like the guys video, and I want others interested in the Model A to see it. The comments don't bother me, there will always be someone who wants to bark at you. After all, it should be called the Ford Barn 50/50, I rarely see threads on a 100% agreement.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #34
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Quote:
There was over $ 38,000 put into this restoration not counting the purchase of the car so somebody is going to get a great deal as is the case when a person restores a car the next owner gets the deal.
This sentence from the seller's AD description is quite interesting. As outlandish as it might sound at first, if thought about for a little while, the statement is actually believable.

We have elderly friends up in Andover, Massachusetts who live an outwardly common life style and are without doubt truly wealthy. There are presently a dozen or more vintage cars in a large two floor custom constructed carriage house. That big colonial style structure was actually created in 2010 to match their equally large antique 1788 built stage coach station and traveler's inn home. When visiting, the wife and me stay in a bedroom that George Washington supposedly slept in. These people have old New England money. Whatever they want . . . they buy! Though they are not flamboyant in the least, cost for things wanted does not appear to be a factor. Awhile ago, the wife, Barbara, decided to have the nostalgia car from her college days restored. She had kept the thing all this time since buying it new. One day about three years ago, that 1956 Chevy was shipped off to a professional restoration shop. Within a few weeks time, the bread n' butter model Chevy was bumper to bumper "re-manufactured" like new. That bank check written for the job was well over $30,000. Boom! Last time I saw, that pretty two tone blue and white Chev, it was jammed inside the 21st Century carriage house parked between a 1960s Shelby Mustang fastback and an ancient pale yellow Jag XKE coupe. All vehicles were covered with at least one layer of dust.

Encountered many old cars for sale where the previous owner, usually deceased, spent a ton of money to get a vehicle professionally restored. As known, such work in the modern era is costly. Looking at that 31' Victoria, it would seem to have been a very good job. Also too, as most here know first hand, when an automobile gets parked within safe storage unused for even a relatively modest time, the thing starts to quickly deteriorate. That Victoria looks to have been not neglected.

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 12-06-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:15 PM   #35
Mitch//pa
BANNED

CAPT,
Do you have any idea of just what a show quality paint job costs?? How about the body and metal work???
One can have easily 40 K into a car without incld the labor hours..
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:33 PM   #36
SHEC

Thumbs up Re: He is back again, 1931 Victoria

Thanks for sharing the car and the gent presenting it. Interesting all around -

Maybe Santa will drop down the chimney with the VICKY in his sack -

Be well

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Be well -

SHEC
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #37
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

Quote:
CAPT,
Do you have any idea of just what a show quality paint job costs?? How about the body and metal work???
No criticism here or question as to the eBay Victoria seller's descriptive info. Just pointing out how large amounts of money can be spent by some people to have correct restoration done. Persons of monetary means are no doubt in a different financial situation that we common wage slaves. Figure that even with such resources, I for one would never be squandering it on a thing like motor vehicle with at best, stagnant value.

These people of means decide something is desired and they get it . . . with no monetary budget consideration. As mentioned, our friends had the wife's plain n' simple 56' Chevy 4-door sedan "restored" by a professional outfit gleaned from the pages of Hemmings Motor News. It's old family money! The car people came and picked up the vehicle with an enclosed carrier. They returned it complete at which time a check was handed over for well over thirty-grand. To my untrained eye, that Chevrolet looked as if it rolled out of the showroom new. At some time in the future, a buyer will most likely get themselves a nice old Chevy cruiser for a fraction of the restoration cost.

To answer your question . . . "somewhat! Back in the 1970s, I owned a 34 Ford V8 sedan. Knew a man then in Salem, Massachusetts who was a master antique/classic car body and paint finish guy. People in the region trusted him then with their big league vintage senior Packards and high end 1930s era Cadillac cars. At the time, he quoted over $8,000 estimate to do a correct repaint on my 34' Ford. Serious work calls for serious money! As recalled, the trade value (had swapped a 29' Model A) in that car came to about seven-hundred bucks. Needless to say, I drove that car for the next couple of years with it's original paint job until selling it for a couple of grand. During that same period, we bought a nice house with three car garage / shop building and 5 acres of land for $21,900.

Last time looked, the bid price for that 31' Victoria was up to around $22K. And the reserve had not yet been tripped.

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 12-06-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote