Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
Clem Clement

Default Future of Hershey and our hobby

I'm studying the signs of what is happening and what our future is:

What do you guys think about the trends for Hershey?

I saw the huge effect of eBay both on prices and lowering amount of goods

the crowd was strong, but down some

I sold Model A parts well, but many were AR and therefore interest.

I saw lots of gray hair and not so many of the next generation

Many say the next generation is of a turn Key mentality and doesn't want to fix up old cars just for the fun of it.

There was about 15% vacant booths. One of the AACA tent guys said they had sold 9000 spaces and had 8000 available. I don't believe those numbers.

Folks were certainly friendly as always.

I learned so much:
1) early Model A doors had flat inside structural steel. Later the strength grooves were added.

2) I have a Script head. I was told that is was later Ford manufacture and that it was for the industrial engines. A fellow said that was a diamond head". he showed me the diamond(I has not seen it as the diamond was buried in goo. It is near the water pump mount.)

Folks are so willing to share info. this is a great part of this hobby.

Other comments, please!
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:16 AM   #2
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron
Default Re: Future of Hershey and our hobby

The Diamond Block..."Diamond"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2872.jpg (41.4 KB, 124 views)
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
AL in NY

Mark, that photo is upside down. Hard to recognize.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

The infamous "Diamond" Block and Symbol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2872.jpg (41.7 KB, 66 views)
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Wick

I learned a lot from A and T folks. I would like to have 3-4 spaces instead of 2 And contact the AACA all season. Just cannot get them...yet there's plenty of spaces open.
I sold plenty of A parts, I only sold a 25 T engine block. Cans, service station items, Flat Head v8 speed parts moved quickly. Friday was my best Day! Windshield wipers sold well on Friday.
People were Great and Happy. I found everything I was looking for. Rode my Bike every evening.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
Terry,NJ

Clem, I too, saw those same signs. Part of the reason for less attendance is the GDed state of Pennsylvania harassing dealers with their record keeping and taxing requirements! Yes, the gray to black and brown hair colors were skewed towards the gray. Once again, I blame the govt with it's pollution controls. How's a kid going to get interested in something that he can't fool around with a little? I think this aspect might be stressed when talking to the younger crowd, Maybe not. I agree about Ebay and CL (to a lesser extent) Also, I have a hard time believing that some of the dealers ever owned a model A or any other classic car for that matter. They seem to know so little about them! They're just there for the money. When the money goes, they'll go with it. However, It's not a time to be bleak, Did you enjoy the show? will you enjoy it next year? I did and will!
I can always hope that there will be a surge of interest with this or that model and it will come back again. Hey! I saw two Teslas on the road when I was in California! Who knows?
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Clement View Post
I'm studying the signs of what is happening and what our future is:

What do you guys think about the trends for Hershey?

I saw the huge effect of eBay both on prices and lowering amount of goods

the crowd was strong, but down some

I sold Model A parts well, but many were AR and therefore interest.

I saw lots of gray hair and not so many of the next generation

Many say the next generation is of a turn Key mentality and doesn't want to fix up old cars just for the fun of it.

There was about 15% vacant booths. One of the AACA tent guys said they had sold 9000 spaces and had 8000 available. I don't believe those numbers.

Folks were certainly friendly as always.

I learned so much:
1) early Model A doors had flat inside structural steel. Later the strength grooves were added.

2) I have a Script head. I was told that is was later Ford manufacture and that it was for the industrial engines. A fellow said that was a diamond head". he showed me the diamond(I has not seen it as the diamond was buried in goo. It is near the water pump mount.)

Folks are so willing to share info. this is a great part of this hobby.

Other comments, please!
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

what do you guys think about the trends for hershey?

i saw the huge effect of ebay both on prices and lowering amount of goods the crowd was strong, but down some
Clem, i think the overall perceived costs of Hershey are lowering the attendance some. To a large sum of attendees, it is a social event and is treated as such. For me, my hotel bill was almost $850 with tax/etc., I spent another $100 for food, and another $200 on fuel. Sure i could have slept in the back of a car, made Bologna sandwiches, and skimped in other ways like many did a few decades ago but I do not enjoy that.

My point is it really isn't the hobby that is the cause of the downturn but the logistics in general. When you do an internet search on the Quality Inn in Hershey where I stayed, you find rates starting at $74.00, ...yet I was charged an avg. of $205 a nite + tax for the four nites I was there. I didn't complain to them because all hotels in the area are doing this.

i sold model a parts well, but many were ar and therefore interest.
I purchased some of your better early '28 parts, ...and this year it seemed there was interest in that era. It is always a gamble of what people are looking for. Next year it may be e-v8 ford parts. It also goes that top-quality original parts of any marque have interest. Then it boils down to if it is perceived at a value. I paid $1,000 for a nos 1928 radiator shell this year because i wanted/needed it. If it had been a nos 1930 shell, I probably would not have been a buyer unless it would have been $750 or less. Not saying it would not have been worth more, ...just not to me.

i saw lots of gray hair and not so many of the next generation many say the next generation is of a turn-key mentality and doesn't want to fix up old cars just for the fun of it.
Again, the "next generation" is not as interested in researching for themselves what to purchase. Places like this Forum have made it easier to search for information and parts, ...and as stated above, -a whole lot cheaper!!

There was about 15% vacant booths. One of the aaca tent guys said they had sold 9000 spaces and had 8000 available. I don't believe those numbers.
Maybe what he meant was there was 8,000 of them being used solely for parking their cars on! There seems to be a growing trend of parking a modern vehicle on a space, set up a small card table, lay out a few absolutely worthless items along with a coffee can for money to be deposited into, and then leave the space only to return that evening.

I feel certain they could eliminate at least one field --and maybe two entire fields if AACA mandated NO motorhomes, campers, -or vehicles other than trailers and AACA-eligible vehicles on the spaces. Boy, talk about controversial outcrys then!! Personally I feel it would be good for the entire hobby with the exception of the money the Hershey region makes.

The reason i feel it would be good for the meet as a whole is some folks who are not serious would likely quit coming, ...which lowers the price of area hotel rooms due to more availability. It cuts down on how much walking must be done to search for parts, and it returns it to the original intended event. I think this is one reason why the Chickasha swap meet is as popular as it is.

folks were certainly friendly as always.

I learned so much:
1) early model a doors had flat inside structural steel. Later the strength grooves were added.

2) i have a script head. I was told that is was later ford manufacture and that it was for the industrial engines. A fellow said that was a diamond head". He showed me the diamond(i has not seen it as the diamond was buried in goo. It is near the water pump mount.)
Yes, I also saw that but did not comment.

folks are so willing to share info. This is a great part of this hobby.

Other comments, please!
The one thing I am waiting to happen is some 'techie-geek' will make an I-phone hershey searching app where folks can upload up to 25 searchable items per space. Clem, in your case you could have uploaded 1928 ford brake parts as one. Tubular radiator support rods as another, powerhouse radiator outlet tube as yet another that would include a condition, keyword such as part number, etc. Then people like me would pay $10 to download the app to help me search the fields for items I need. I could 'report' certain items that were misrepresented or that had been sold. In your case, it would be to your advantage to delete and upload another item when one of yours sold to keep a full 25 items up on the list.

Just think of this from a financial perspective, if there was 5,000 vendors/spaces who chose to subscribe, that is $50k, plus if only 25,000 of the 100,000 estimated buying attendees subscribed, that that is $250k for a total of $300k for the week. That is one area i think the future of this hobby will go in the next few years!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #8
bart78

Growing up here in Texas. We went to Pates every year. Then they moved it and it got so big. It's a pain in the butt to drive up to that area of the metroplex. And deal with all the traffic. The Decatur swap meet is a pretty good one to go to. It's just so much easier to look for stuff online. A lot of these things are starting to get just like the gun shows. Way to many people. And more and more people selling crap that really is not related. Now that I have made quite a few contacts. I have people that tell me where stuff is. Or give my number to people that have cars or parts. You would be amazed at what all insurance guys see when they go to look at properties.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #9
P.S.

All you have to do to get young people interested is make it affordable again.

Parts and car prices are continuously headed north, and that is the single biggest factor. You guys always have a story or two about the $50 Model A you drove home and fixed up when you were however old (young). Nowadays, a Model A you could drive home will set you back closer to $10K. That is WAY outside the budget of a teen with a paper route and a girlfriend with whom they have made it to 1st base.

Let the flames begin...

Brent is right about the cost of going to Hershey. That is brutal.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart78 View Post
Growing up here in Texas. We went to Pates every year.
Did you go in the first years when we were all set-up in the lower pasture at the Pate's ranch? In those beginning years, us kids all chased each other down in those dry river beds and even played on the bucking-barrel up next to the house.

Do you remember when there were guys flying to the swap meet in their planes and landing in the field beside the house? Later that became swap meet area as the meet grew.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 10-11-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
bart78

Yes we went back when it was at the old location. There at the museum. When I first started going it was in the early eighties. I would go with my uncle. He would drive a car over there to sell. And my aunt would follow. When it was there it was only a 45 minute drive. Now the place is a housing development.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #12
Willie Krash

I help put on a couple of antique shows a year. Dealers are shrinking as age takes hold. Most of the issues are centered around cost. Fuel cost and hotels take much of the profit away. As to eBay it does create interest in the hobby as many can make the leap with a parts supply. The downside is buying cheap has become difficult as eBay has become a pricing metric.
I also think the young and growth is of upmost importance. Trouble is if they have an education they are in debt and I know youngins flippin burgers and they have college degrees.
My generation had Ford, GM etc...For many blue collar kids today, their Ford is now Burger King.
I think the Ford Barn is the most valuable tool we have and the people here have proved it. Thank you all.
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #13
Bob Bidonde

I agree our hobby and many others will take a downturn as discretionary cash goes into the high costs of living and higher taxes.

Taking into consideration the crappy USA economy, it is hard for the younger generations to get a toehold for the basics of living, so it's not likely they will have the money to get into Model A's. It is unfortunate that we are not leaving our kids and grandchildren the good economy that gave us the discretionary bucks to get into the Model A hobby.

I am restoring my last car, and it is very costly even doing most of the work myself. $25,000 can be spent for restoration to achieve a reasonable touring quality car. Show cars are for those with financial means well beyond the middle class.

The best we gray beards can do is to leave our Model A's and Model A literature to our kids and grandchildren.
Old 10-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #14
mshmodela

Well I write software for a buck and enjoy the therapy of learning about my car and how to fix it. At 51, I think all will be fine with these cars.. The hobby and cars will change a little but all wil be fine.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Well I write software for a buck ...

So are you the one that will write an app for swap meet parts searches and make the millions to finance your massive car collection?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 10-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #16
bart78

The problem that will come in the future. Will be the younger generation that lives away from the bigger cities. In towns like mine. There are a few older guys that have A's. And drive them occasionally. But the younger guys are few and far between. There is nothing to get them interested. The older guys really could care less about talking about them. I was talking to a guy the other day about cars. And the guy with him I know has a couple of A's. And he never said one word to me about them. I really did not care. Anyone that knows the guy. Knows he is a ass and would rather not talk to him. I really think it's going to take a lot of work. If people really want to keep the stock hobby alive. I know a few hot rod guys. That are willing to talk and teach people anything.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #17
gwhite

I'm a mid 30-something in a large suburban area...there are quite a few guys close to my age that are interested but the time and cost to attend an event like Hershey makes it very difficult. As Brent said, this is the draw of Chickasha - I've gone the past 3 years and have single-handedly brought the average age down by a good ten years

I've also experienced the exact opposite of bart78; many of the guys here have been a huge help - taking the time to answer PM's, emails, and/or phone calls to help answer my questions. I've also had the pleasure of buying parts from some of our more 'seasoned' members and have found them plenty hospitable - more often than not it involves plenty of conversation and a tour of their shop/collection rather than simply and exchange of cash and goods.

From my perspective, I think us young fellas need to step up and be the ambassadors of our hobby to our pals. I'm amazed at how many guys & gals my age think a vintage car is unobtainable with the financial constraints of kids, a mortgage, and student loan payments....a running one - perhaps, but I put less in my roadster project each year than most of my peers put into playing golf or buying the latest electronic device.

That's my wooden nickel.
gwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:42 PM   #18
Cool Hand Lurker

You have to have a reason to like old cars, Model A's or Model T's. The biggest reason is memories of what was there when you were a kid. Very few people go into a hobby that is totally new to them unless they tag along with someone in the hobby. Model T guys are old or gone. Model A guys who grew up with them are getting old and the memories die with them, they can't be passed on except in a story and that just isn't the same. Unfortunately the memories of the younger crowd are for the muscle cars and street rods that were around when they were growing up. There is a limit as to how long you can keep something alive, especially if they are 85 years old already. Like the Model A and Model T. Sad but true.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #19
eeyore

Brent your idea of an app is a great idea for everyone so much time could be saved trying to look and missing seeing something that an app would help you find, and yes it would be a money maker and when time is money everyone would win.
eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #20
DJ S

I'm 15 years old and I'd have to say the biggest set back i have is finance. Almost ever day I look at local listings search for good deals. Even when I find decent deals, it will cost me a fortune! Most cars that are in my price range don't run and need lots of work. As you all know, engine rebuilds aren't cheap, expecially when you're 15 years old working at minimum wage.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote