Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2014, 01:25 AM   #1
lucky_stripe_garage

Default Soon to be a Model A owner

Hey everyone. New to the Ford Barn. Also I'll be purchasing my first Model A soon. It's an older restoration done by a gentleman (true ford guy) I had the pleasure of getting to know before he passed away a few months ago.

The history that he told me was that he bought the car in 1974. He spent the next two years restoring the car with his children in his garage. His wife actually found pictures of him painting the car in his garage with just a paper dust mask on. He drove it in a Christmas parade in 1976, and the announcers disrespected him so he drove it home and put it up on jack stands. It's sat since December of 1976 from what they both have told me. He was in the middle of replacing the radiator, and had a few other ideas that he was wanting to finish to get the car back on the road again, unfortunately his health declined and he was unable to finish.

I don't plan on painting it at this time since the paint is still good, body work is fair, the upholstry was done by his wife and still looks like its never been sat on. There's too many extra parts to list, but it's going to be a fun puzzle to piece back together. I will try my best to get some pictures loaded for you guys, cause I know without pictures, it doesn't exist or didn't happen. Hope you don't mind me asking a ton of questions whenever I get started.
lucky_stripe_garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:24 AM   #2
Gunmetal blue2

Default Re: Soon to be a Model A owner

Welcome to the Ford Barn, What body style is it and what year. You will have a lot of fun with your A. Ask away with questions and use the search function as well. If you tell us were your from there is club members probly close by, that can help you as well.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:14 AM   #3
lucky_stripe_garage

Currently I live in the Texas panhandle. It's a 1930 Two Door Sedan. Lets see if I can get a couple of these pictures to work. One iswhen he first brought it home in 1974. The other is a couple of days before the parade in 1976.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MODEL A.jpg (151.5 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg MODEL A2.jpg (18.2 KB, 237 views)
Old 10-05-2014, 06:06 AM   #4
somethingspecial

Welcome to the barn, knowledgeable folks here on the Ford barn forum. Nice car drive it as it is ment to be driven.
somethingspecial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
JohnLaVoy

Welcome! Hope to see you on the road soon. The MAFCA.COM website lists local chapters, it is always good to find local folks to talk about problems, parts etc. There is a great swap meet in Wichita in February that you might think about going to. Texas has a great meet that moves around the state, another place to find people, see cars, locate parts etc.

Again Welcome!
JohnLaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_stripe_garage View Post
... The history that he told me was that he bought the car in 1974. He spent the next two years restoring the car with his children in his garage. His wife actually found pictures of him painting the car in his garage with just a paper dust mask on. He drove it in a Christmas parade in 1976, and the announcers disrespected him so he drove it home and put it up on jack stands. It's sat since December of 1976 from what they both have told me...
Nice to know the history of a car. Wish I knew some of the past adventures of my '30 Sedan. A few things about my car have me scratching my head.

I'm curious tho, What did the announcers say or do to disrespect him enough to make him park the car for ~38 years??

Nice looking car. Enjoy it.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 10-06-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Spelling...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:35 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Welcome to the hobby and I second the suggestion the you look at the MAFCA and MARC site to find a local club and like minded Model A'ers.

Get it running and drive the heck out of it.

Best of luck.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #8
45GPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I'm curious tho, What did the announcers say or di to disrespect him enough to make him park the car for ~38 years??
Yeah, I'd also like to know why.
45GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
29Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45GPW View Post
Yeah, I'd also like to know why.
That was my first thought.
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #10
Arlen

Hi from Dallas. There is a panhandle A's club but they are a little hard to find and not very active. Maybe a google search might bring up something. I know they would love to see a new face.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:16 PM   #11
lucky_stripe_garage

The story that I was told, was that he entered the parade as an individual. There was a car club in front of him that had several cars entered. He had filled out the paper describing his car for the annoucer to use. The anouncer described all of the cars in front of his, and when he came around the corner the annoucer said, "And here's another old car."
Old 10-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
The anouncer described all of the cars in front of his, and when he came around the corner the annoucer said, "And here's another old car."
And he took it home and parked it for ~38 years? I would of just said F*** Off and never supported their Christmas Parade again...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #13
lucky_stripe_garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
And he took it home and parked it for ~38 years? I would of just said F*** Off and never supported their Christmas Parade again...

That's what I told him while I took care of him. But he was an old hard headed retired Navy man. Haha. Very stubborn, even while I cared for him for his last 3 and a half years.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:46 PM   #14
lucky_stripe_garage

Here's a few pictures of how it sits currently. There is approximately 6" on the front, rear and passenger sides. On the drivers side, there's barely enough room for someone to walk next to the car. The drivers door can be opened fully. But it's a tight fit all the way around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine.jpg (30.5 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpeg model a.jpeg (121.3 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg interior.jpg (39.0 KB, 110 views)
Old 10-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #15
Barber31

It's funny how one comment can affect you. The same happened to me at a car show. A buddy with a 64 impala asked if I would join him with my 66 impala to a charity show. I reluctantly agreed being that I knew mine wasn't show quality. But being that it was for a kids charity organization I did anyway. Long story short, a guy made a comment to his kids in front of me assuming I was a spectator as well. All he said was Damn if I would of known they were gonna let cars like this in the show I would of brought my old project car. Well that comment did it for me. I literally stripped my car down the next day. Started all over again with bare Steele and a stripped down chassis. Body completely blown apart. It still kinda bothers me. But anyway I always warn my boys about what comes out of their mouth when we go to car shows. I had one instance were I may have done that myself to a fellow owner. At a show I was admiring a 40's era Ford and I said in front of the owner that his car looked like a toy meaning it was so perfect it looked unreal. As soon as I said it I hoped he didn't take it wrong. I may have mumbled some other compliments to try and persuade him I really did think it was beautiful.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #16
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber31 View Post
It's funny how one comment can affect you. The same happened to me at a car show. A buddy with a 64 impala asked if I would join him with my 66 impala to a charity show. I reluctantly agreed being that I knew mine wasn't show quality. But being that it was for a kids charity organization I did anyway. Long story short, a guy made a comment to his kids in front of me assuming I was a spectator as well. All he said was Damn if I would of known they were gonna let cars like this in the show I would of brought my old project car. Well that comment did it for me. I literally stripped my car down the next day. Started all over again with bare Steele and a stripped down chassis. Body completely blown apart. It still kinda bothers me. But anyway I always warn my boys about what comes out of their mouth when we go to car shows. I had one instance were I may have done that myself to a fellow owner. At a show I was admiring a 40's era Ford and I said in front of the owner that his car looked like a toy meaning it was so perfect it looked unreal. As soon as I said it I hoped he didn't take it wrong. I may have mumbled some other compliments to try and persuade him I really did think it was beautiful.
Its amazing how much harder some of us work when we are mad-at-the-world. I had a Boss once that did his best to piss me off every morning, until I was finally smart enough to catch on to what he was doing.

Quote:
Hey everyone. New to the Ford Barn. Also I'll be purchasing my first Model A soon. It's an older restoration done by a gentleman (true ford guy) I had the pleasure of getting to know before he passed away a few months ago.

The history that he told me was that he bought the car in 1974. He spent the next two years restoring the car with his children in his garage. His wife actually found pictures of him painting the car in his garage with just a paper dust mask on. He drove it in a Christmas parade in 1976, and the announcers disrespected him so he drove it home and put it up on jack stands. It's sat since December of 1976 from what they both have told me. He was in the middle of replacing the radiator, and had a few other ideas that he was wanting to finish to get the car back on the road again, unfortunately his health declined and he was unable to finish.

I don't plan on painting it at this time since the paint is still good, body work is fair, the upholstry was done by his wife and still looks like its never been sat on. There's too many extra parts to list, but it's going to be a fun puzzle to piece back together. I will try my best to get some pictures loaded for you guys, cause I know without pictures, it doesn't exist or didn't happen. Hope you don't mind me asking a ton of questions whenever I get started.
Hope you enjoy the car! It looks much too nice to get discouraged about somebody else's unthinking comments. Right now is the time to make up your mind that YOU are the one you are out to make happy with what you do to the car....there will always be some knucklehead that will make comments about some aspect of your car....grow a thick skin and learn to ignore it. Good Luck.
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:40 AM   #17
CarlG

One of the earlier shows I was in, some passerby made a quite crude comment about one of my "not original" engine components (hood was propped open). So, now, hood is only opened on request.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #18
Barber31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex_A_Lott View Post
Its amazing how much harder some of us work when we are mad-at-the-world. I had a Boss once that did his best to piss me off every morning, until I was finally smart enough to catch on to what he was doing.
The upside to it is it keeps us motivated to keep pressing on. I was determined to finish my car better than what I did the first time. My wife and I also used that "being mad about it" mentality to build our own business. So it's kinda good sometimes. I can also see how it can take root in someone's spirit and cause bitterness and hatred. Guess it just depends on the person.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:33 PM   #19
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
One of the earlier shows I was in, some passerby made a quite crude comment about one of my "not original" engine components (hood was propped open). So, now, hood is only opened on request.
A Man and his son were once going with their Donkey to market. As they were walking along by its side a countryman passed them and said: "You fools, what is a Donkey for but to ride upon?" So the Man put the Boy on the Donkey and they went on their way. But soon they passed a group of men, one of whom said: "See that lazy youngster, he lets his father walk while he rides."
So the Man ordered his Boy to get off, and got on himself. But they hadn't gone far when they passed two women, one of whom said to the other: "Shame on that lazy lout to let his poor little son trudge along."
Well, the Man didn't know what to do, but at last he took his Boy up before him on the Donkey. By this time they had come to the town, and the passers-by began to jeer and point at them. The Man stopped and asked what they were scoffing at. The men said: "Aren't you ashamed of yourself for overloading that poor donkey of yours and your hulking son?"
The Man and Boy got off and tried to think what to do. They thought and they thought, till at last they cut down a pole, tied the donkey's feet to it, and raised the pole and the donkey to their shoulders. They went along amid the laughter of all who met them till they came to Market Bridge, when the Donkey, getting one of his feet loose, kicked out and caused the Boy to drop his end of the pole. In the struggle the Donkey fell over the bridge.

If you try to please everyone you can wave your donkey goodbye.

So you can have accessories as long as you like them. If you don't like them you don't need to have them.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:28 PM   #20
lucky_stripe_garage

I'm excited that I'll get the chance to drive this piece of history and continue to share it with people. It scares me a little because I know a little about what he was working on when he got sick, but I'm not sure where to start as far as piecing it all back together again.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #21
Rex_A_Lott

Quote:
I'm excited that I'll get the chance to drive this piece of history and continue to share it with people. It scares me a little because I know a little about what he was working on when he got sick, but I'm not sure where to start as far as piecing it all back together again.
Its not so complicated that you cant study here, read the books and figure it out for yourself....BUT, if you can find someone that is in the hobby to assist you, it would be an immense help. That's how I learned a lot of what I know about A's, and I gained a friend in the process. It's a good way to meet people, but just like here, you might not like them all...doesnt mean they dont know what they are talking about or the you cant learn from them.
I eventually bought one of my buddy's old A's from his widow, and I still have questions I'd like to ask sometimes.
Good Luck with your project!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #22
Fred
BANNED

I have a 1928 Special Coupe that has received its MARC Masters award & it is posted on the radiator.. I have been told at local shows, or just out driving it, Many-Many things are wrong with it.. The one I get the most is, All Model As had rubber floor mats, never carpet in the front !!... Then the top is all wrong, the were all 1/2 painted.. Funny, NO one says anything about the Whitewalls ??... I just walk away & get a beer !!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #23
P.S.

Interesting. A Navy man shouldn't have let some twit like that get to him.

I have had chuckleheads come up to me and my Model A and say things like, "If it were me, I would ...." I always reply with, "Well it's a good thing I'm not you." and watch them stew. Who cares what others think of your car? Do your car in a manner that makes YOU happy, that's all you need to do.

Now about whitewalls...
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #24
lucky_stripe_garage

I plan on whitewalls for my 53 ford. But that's for another forum. What's wrong with whitewalls for the model a?
Old 10-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #25
CarlG

You have to use a different grade of engine oil if you have whitewalls.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #26
45GPW

Quote:
The story that I was told, was that he entered the parade as an individual. There was a car club in front of him that had several cars entered. He had filled out the paper describing his car for the annoucer to use. The anouncer described all of the cars in front of his, and when he came around the corner the annoucer said, "And here's another old car."
Quote:
What's wrong with whitewalls for the model a?
Because some idiot will see the whitewalls and think it's just another old car.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:53 PM   #27
Gerald D. Walker

Whitewall owners never use distilled water in their radiator or battery either. They use nothing but recycled creek water.
Gerald D. Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:00 PM   #28
Wrenchy61

Be sure to tell the ignorant that you save money by not filling the cooling system with anti-freeze but use spring water which never freezes and runs year around.

Buy the Model A whatever the condition or price and don't let anyone spoil your fun!
Wrenchy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #29
lucky_stripe_garage

So I have to purchase the baby artic seal oil, plus the natrual spring water from a secret spring that no one knows exactly where it is for the A. This should be a fun excursion. haha
Old 10-12-2014, 03:05 AM   #30
lucky_stripe_garage

Here's a few more pictures that I took last time I was visiting the wife of the gentleman that rebuilt the car. Notice the great respirator for the paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MODEL A3.jpg (140.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg MODEL A1.jpg (149.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg MODEL A2.jpg (158.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg MODEL A4.jpg (156.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #31
pgerhardt

Old siphon feed gun and no respirator. Now that's old school! I hope (for his health's sake) he is not shooting a 2X paint with no respirator.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 02:38 PM   #32
45GPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
Old siphon feed gun and no respirator. Now that's old school! I hope (for his health's sake) he is not shooting a 2X paint with no respirator.
The OP said the guy painted it in the mid-70s. Catalyzed finishes weren't even a consideration at the time. Conventional siphon-feed guns, nitrocellulose lacquer and acrylic enamel were pretty much the standard DIY options.

Looks like he's painting it inside some kind of tent or shade structure. In the same era, I painted many a vehicle the same way inside a makeshift shade structure, but unlike the guy in the photos I used a real respirator with organic vapor cartridges.