Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #1
chl

Default Bad coil?

two weeks ago started the truck,ran fine for a half hour did a short sputter and stopped,didn't want to restart. got back to it today.it started after several turns on the starter ran for a half hour ,stopped,wouldn't restart. The coil was hot,let cool for an hour, started right up and did same thing after a half hour,coil hot again.any thoughts?
chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #2
jmeckel

Default Re: Bad coil?

Sounds like the coil is bad to me, I use a PerTronix resin filled coil. That way you do not have the issues of an oil filled coil mounted inverted. Another option is to mount a standard oil filed one, right side up and use a longer coil wire. Also make sure you have the polarity correct for however you have your A wired (positive ground or negative ground).

"If you choose to not decide, you still have made a choice!" RUSH

Don't tell me what you know..... Tell me what you have done.
jmeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
jm29henry

The coil should not be getting hot !!! if you can you'se a back up coil try that first .If that stays cool then you are all set Second check out all of your electrical connections make sure all of them are clean and more important tight. IF this is still happening swap out your condenser.please follow up and let us know what you find.
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
donQ

jm29Henry might be on the right track. If your condenser is breaking down with temperature there will be more current though your coil heating it up. I had a 9N that would run for about 30-40 minutes and then quit. It would not restart. If I returned several hours later it would run fine for about the same length of time and quit. It turned out to be a bad condenser.
donQ
donQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Sounds like it to me. Had a '32 coil for years did the same thing.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Willie Krash

Condenser first. You have some good advice from the others.
I might take some heat but coils really are rarely a problem. Like temp. senders and even starter solenoids. Bear in mind that a coil has on/off duty cycles. Are you running 6 volts?
Willie Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
chl

Smile Re: Bad coil?

6 vollts, I'll start with the condensor didn't know a bad one could heat up the coil (I'm new to the model A hobby). Had an operation recently so it's going to be a month before I really get up to speed again. Had a bad condensor when I bought the truck ( 28 ccpu ) late last summer, replaced it with one from the extra parts. I have new points and condensor from accel that are supposed to be very good,I guess I'll find out if they are worth money when I get them put in. Learning a lot from the great people and information on this board. Thanks to everyone for all you do here.
chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chl View Post
6 vollts, I'll start with the condensor didn't know a bad one could heat up the coil (I'm new to the model A hobby). Had an operation recently so it's going to be a month before I really get up to speed again. Had a bad condensor when I bought the truck ( 28 ccpu ) late last summer, replaced it with one from the extra parts. I have new points and condensor from accel that are supposed to be very good,I guess I'll find out if they are worth money when I get them put in. Learning a lot from the great people and information on this board. Thanks to everyone for all you do here.

Are you using the 'modern' upper plate ? If so, then use the 'good/expensive' [Ford V8] points and condenser. The cheap ones are junk. Also, do you know what coil you are using ? As mentioned, if its an oil coil, it will not run for long mounted upside down.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote