Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
sphanna

Default Old style vs. Flathead Ted floaters.

I have never heard of the old style as shown in a previous thread. It looks very good to me and I am curious if their is any reason to go to Flathead's. The old style sure looks easy to install. I have no preference, just want the best. I have a frustrating brake problem with my Fordor. Any counsel is appreciated. Are Flathead Ted's just as easy to install?

Thanks Purdy Swoft for your answer to my PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:53 AM   #2
jerry shook

Default Re: Old style vs. Flathead Ted floaters.

I to had never herd of the old style floaters until now,so i don"t know how they work. I have the flathead ted"s on two cars, they are easy to install and work like disk brakes, be sure you order from flathead, his is the the best.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #3
RonC

I would remove the old style floaters. There is a good risk of drum lockup while out driving. This occurs when things get a little worn and the floaters reverse.
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Purdy Swoft

The old brake floaters are just too simple for most. Usually if there is a way to ass up on brakes, people that don't know what they are doing will find it. People that don't know what they are doing will have the brakes poorly adjusted and try to getby with worn out lining and drums. What can you expect??? The vast majority don't know $hit about brakes and its a waste of time trying to help them.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
sphanna

They sure look simple to me and fool proof to boot. Routine maintenance should preclude any lock ups . I have new cast drums and understand the geometry involved. I do admire Ted's work and am willing to pay his price. He has earned it..I thought that the old way appeared to be simpler and quite reliable. I'll percolate this while considering all advise/suggestions.

THX
Old 02-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #6
Keith True

Those things aren't going to lock up from just a little wear.Parts have to have a LOT of wear.When those links go to dead flat when the pedal is pushed is a problem.I've seen a lot of them,and on every one it looks like they were installed as a magic bullet fix because everything else was worn out.I still have a couple of sets on axles that were used under trailers.I'd kind of forgotten about the bolt in the hole that the wedge stud used to be in.If nobody put anything in the old hole you could just reach in with a screwdriver and pop them back up again.I did one at the stop sign here in town around 1980 for somebody.One front wheel had locked up,I knew he had the toggle floaters,so I took the torch with me to poke a hole and pry the floater back up again.I blew a hole in the backing plate instead of the drum,we were in the street and couldn't waste any time jacking the car up and pulling a wheel.Things were so worn on that car I had a hard time getting a wrench on the square adjusting wedge.There must have been a local place selling them here,I find a lot of them on old axles the junk boys bring me out of the woods.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:41 PM   #7
bikejunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
The old brake floaters are just too simple for most. Usually if there is a way to ass up on brakes, people that don't know what they are doing will find it. People that don't know what they are doing will have the brakes poorly adjusted and try to getby with worn out lining and drums. What can you expect??? The vast majority don't know $hit about brakes and its a waste of time trying to help them.
Purdy Swoft do I have your permission to make this Quote into a sigh for my shop sums up halfassery quite well John
bikejunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #8
Purdy Swoft

Sure, you have my compliments.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:17 PM   #9
TDO

Purdy, do the old brake floaters just work on the front brakes , or is there a different type for the rear brakes.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

Yes the old style floaters only work on the front. I recommend Flathead Teds shoe centering pins for the rear. Look on page A-99, top of first column in the newest Snyders catalog. These square offset pins will make centering the rear brakes much easier.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
Bob-A

I had a set of the old style floaters on a '29 phaeton I had once. They worked great on the car. However, the brakes squealed a lot when applied and I think they were the reason. I read somewhere that anything
loose within the brake drum/backing plate. Will vibrate when the brakes are applied which causes the squealing noise. The oblong steel plates used in the floaters were attached pretty loose if I remember correctly.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #12
sphanna

Well, I bit the bullet. I purchased the Deluxe brake energizer kit that Ted makes. A couple hundred bucks, but only a one time expense. Usually when I have gone on the cheap, I regret it later.