Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2014, 06:51 AM   #41
motordr

Default Re: Hershey report

Glad you found your parts Dave.
motordr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #42
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordr View Post
Glad you found your parts Dave.
And I also "scored" big in that I was a lucky recipient of one of those decals just like Dr J has in his avatar. My issue s I don't know where mine is going to go!

Sconners, what was your favorite part about Hershey, --and did you find the commercial buckets you needed?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #43
Terry,NJ

Well Fri. was sort of a bust! Too many vendors leaving early (before Saturday) Too many starting on Tuesday! If Wednesday is the first day of the show, let it be Wednesday, not Tuesday! Sure the vendors are tired out by Friday! I don't blame them. I Was sick out it too, like a kid who's gorged himself on candy, but he can't wait for next time.
Anyway, on another note; Ever notice how things run it batches? Like Wick said, there were fenders all over the place and "T" parts galore (I had no idea so much survived). Other years, "T" parts were scarce. But Nary a strip/panel for over the doors of my Town Sedan. Not a C.I. heater box either. Very few seat springs either. Very few front spring perches either. A lot of overpriced stuff as in every year. I did see a very nice fender remain unsold after the seller marked it down from $650 to $450. He advertised it as "original", not NOS. Just ignorance or did he know something? Only one guy had any Garnish moldings that I saw, $50 @. Almost, no light brackets for fog lights, Although I did find a pair for $15. Next year, I expect to find all this stuff in droves and no fenders or T parts. Ya never know......
Terry
Terry,NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #44
Wick

I'm not going to bring a 8cyl. Packard engine in the crate next year...it's getting turned into a Honda next week. I hate to do it, but no storage place. $50.00 would have bought it! Things I will no longer bring....Gas Tanks, Fenders, windshield frames, Wheels, unless they are perfect rust free.
I did not see many Brake Rods, steering parts, NOS items.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #45
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,NJ View Post
Well Fri. was sort of a bust! Too many vendors leaving early (before Saturday) Too many starting on Tuesday! If Wednesday is the first day of the show, let it be Wednesday, not Tuesday! Sure the vendors are tired out by Friday! I don't blame them. I Was sick out it too, like a kid who's gorged himself on candy, but he can't wait for next time.

Anyway, on another note; Ever notice how things run it batches? Like Wick said, there were fenders all over the place and "T" parts galore (I had no idea so much survived). Other years, "T" parts were scarce. But Nary a strip/panel for over the doors of my Town Sedan. Not a C.I. heater box either. Very few seat springs either. Very few front spring perches either. A lot of overpriced stuff as in every year. I did see a very nice fender remain unsold after the seller marked it down from $650 to $450. He advertised it as "original", not NOS. Just ignorance or did he know something? Only one guy had any Garnish moldings that I saw, $50 @. Almost, no light brackets for fog lights, Although I did find a pair for $15. Next year, I expect to find all this stuff in droves and no fenders or T parts. Ya never know......
Terry
Terry, commenting on several things you wrote above;
The vendors leaving early has always been an issue, -not only at this swap meet but at others too. The same applies to folks arriving early. The "wild one" is Spring Chickasha where most of the items are sold while the vendors are waiting in line to go onto the fields. They arrive more than 24 hours early and sell beside their vehicle while they are in line. I have even seen vendors completely sell out while waiting in that line and then leave before ever entering the swap meet field!

It is difficult for vendors to know what will be sought after each year. Many do as I do and start calling people a month or so ahead of time with a 'wish-list'. In your instance, if you are looking for fog light brackets and spring perches, advertise here in the Classifieds that you are looking for them. Also, when you are at Hershey, seek out which vendors have lots of Model-A parts and get their name & phone numbers. Call them ahead of time asking them what they are bringing and tell them what you are looking for. It is a win-win for both of you if they will bring what you are looking for.

I think I saw the same fender you saw. The reason why I passed is while it was very shiny with black paint, it was full of Bondo and had evidences of previous repairs. It really was not NOS. I suspect others saw the same as I which is why it didn't sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
I'm not going to bring a 8cyl. Packard engine in the crate next year...it's getting turned into a Honda next week. I hate to do it, but no storage place. $50.00 would have bought it! Things I will no longer bring....Gas Tanks, Fenders, windshield frames, Wheels, unless they are perfect rust free. I did not see many Brake Rods, steering parts, NOS items.
Personally, I think you are marketing the Packard engine in the wrong place. The typical owner of a Packard is not there. Yes a few exceptions, but just like myself, I learned that my typical customer does not attend Hershey. My suggestion is you contact either the Packard Club or the Museum in Toledo and ask them for the names of a few machine shops who specialize in Packard rebuilds. Then call them and tell them you have a core you want to sell.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 10-12-2014, 12:15 AM   #46
Roadster62

$5,800 for a RUST FREE in bare steel, with doors closed like a vault, that was the DEAL OF THE MEET . Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboD View Post
Someone NEEDS to buy the leatherback project in the Orange field, southwest corner. Wish I needed a Ford.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:08 AM   #47
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster62 View Post
$5,800 for a rust free in bare steel, with doors closed like a vault, that was the deal of the meet . Bob

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sDSC_0154.jpg (75.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg sDSC_0155.jpg (49.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg sDSC_0156.jpg (58.8 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg sDSC_0157.jpg (63.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg sDSC_0159.jpg (59.0 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg sDSC_0164.jpg (71.0 KB, 84 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 10-12-2014, 09:55 AM   #48
Classiccanuck

Great venue, but the hotel prices! $209 per night for a run down room my wife had to clean up 1st night there....? I would have rather spent the $$ on more "A" parts instead. Took my 17 yr old son and 4 year old daughter too, great time was had!
Classiccanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #49
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classiccanuck View Post
Great venue, but the hotel prices! $209 per night for a run down room my wife had to clean up 1st night there....? I would have rather spent the $$ on more "A" parts instead. Took my 17 yr old son and 4 year old daughter too, great time was had!
Hotel prices =supply and demand. Next year, book early, don't stay in hershey. There are lots fo nice little towns around. I've got friends who are dealers that travel from show to show and live in Selinsgrove-60 miles ways and stay at home driving down daily. Try here: http://www.phillipsmotel.com/ really nice motel-an hour away. I live in Lewisburg -75 miles drive-time = money but I like to drive. There are plenty of Motels and hotels and B and B's north of Harrisburg.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:46 PM   #50
SETHDOUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasmer View Post
Compared to Iola, how big is the Hershey swap, 2x 3x...? Thanks
TO ALL MY MODEL A BUDDS ,,,, LOOK IF YA GOTTA ,,,,, SELL THE HOUSE BUT COME AND SEE THIS THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH,,, HERSHEY IS HUGE AND GETTING BIGGER ,MEET THE GREATES CAR FOLKS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD, A FELLA TOLD ME ,,,,WHEN I ASKED HOW BIG IS THIS PLACE ,,,REPLIED ,,, IF YOU WALK UP AND DOWN EACH ISLE OF VENDORS AND THE CAR CARRAL INCLU. ALL THE FIELDS YOU HAVE WALKED 57 MILES !!!!!!!MY SORE FEET......I JUST COMPLETED MY 29th YEAR HERE AND CANT WAIT FOR THIRTY.....
SETHDOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #51
Classiccanuck

Thanks "5window" going to check outside of Hershey for next yr, we book almost 1 year in advance every year, this was the 1st with wife and kids, we all enjoyed ourselves and hope to be back next yr!
Classiccanuck is offline   Reply With Quote